Conquer Club

How Far Away are You from Breaking a Bonus?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

How Far Away are You from Breaking a Bonus?

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm

show: Africa

show: Asia

show: Australia

show: Europe

show: North America

show: South America
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: How Far Away are You from Breaking a Bonus?

Postby owenshooter on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 pm

i really don't understand this thread. can you maybe break it down a bit more? the black jesus is perplexed...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Each map shows how far a territory is from breaking a bonus. e.g. if you have a stack on Novosibirsk, it takes you 4 moves to break Africa.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:45 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Each map shows how far a territory is from breaking a bonus. e.g. if you have a stack on Novosibirsk, it takes you 4 moves to break Africa.

I'll bet you could get your Masters' degree in Algebra if you did the same for Supermax: Prison Riot!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Each map shows how far a territory is from breaking a bonus. e.g. if you have a stack on Novosibirsk, it takes you 4 moves to break Africa.

I'll bet you could get your Masters' degree in Algebra if you did the same for Supermax: Prison Riot!

I imagine it wouldn't be hard for someone to make an addon that could calculate that with the dynamic bonuses involved in Supermax.

The real next step will be calculating how many unique paths there are.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 pm

well i'm not sure this is very relevant information with any game settings anyway. in real life, you have obstacles such as neutrals or stacks, and you are not going to run over 5/6 terts to break a +2 unless you are really bonus monkeying.
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 pm

betiko wrote:well i'm not sure this is very relevant information with any game settings anyway. in real life, you have obstacles such as neutrals or stacks, and you are not going to run over 5/6 terts to break a +2 unless you are really bonus monkeying.

This is partially true. However, all objectives (killing a person) also involve traveling through the map. You can quickly see unique killpaths across the entire map using these maps. It also puts perspective on relative value of territories. Chicago is 4.2 spaces away from every continent. Delhi is only 2.8 spaces away from every continent. What does that mean? Defensively, Chicago is better; offensively Delhi is better.
All in all, its just a different perspective at looking at paths your armies have trampled countless times.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:13 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
betiko wrote:well i'm not sure this is very relevant information with any game settings anyway. in real life, you have obstacles such as neutrals or stacks, and you are not going to run over 5/6 terts to break a +2 unless you are really bonus monkeying.

This is partially true. However, all objectives (killing a person) also involve traveling through the map. You can quickly see unique killpaths across the entire map using these maps. It also puts perspective on relative value of territories. Chicago is 4.2 spaces away from every continent. Delhi is only 2.8 spaces away from every continent. What does that mean? Defensively, Chicago is better; offensively Delhi is better.
All in all, its just a different perspective at looking at paths your armies have trampled countless times.

i still fail to understand in which settings this could be useful (trench maybe? not really). if you want to target someone, it's not how far you have to travel, it's how many troops you have to go through.
Major betiko

Postby macbone on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:48 pm

I think it's good for thinking about where to place stacks in Escalating. We've always taught in the SoC that holding Dubai or Delhi and Chicago or Vancouver are key tactical spots for stacks due to their central locations and the number of other terts they attack. This is helpful for seeing how far away those spots are from the rest of the map.

It also helps show why a stack on Dubai is much more dangerous than one on Chicago. Of course, Betiko, you're right, too. If the stacks are surrounded by other stacks, or there are numerous stacks in the way between the starting point and the destination, they're not going to be as useful.
Colonel macbone

Postby Gabriel13 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:53 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

You wouldn't use any algebra whatsoever to do this. :P Hell, a first grader could do it!
Cook Gabriel13

Return to Conquer Club Discussion