Conquer Club

[Official] Circus Maximus REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Official] Circus Maximus REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby KEYOGI on Thu May 24, 2007 5:35 pm

Last edited by KEYOGI on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby GosoxJ on Thu May 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Are you aware that you have a V in the word bonuses?
Sergeant 1st Class GosoxJ

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Thu May 24, 2007 5:41 pm

i believe that is on purpose lol. Great first draft. If you can try and make the stadium a bit more 3D in the bottom section i think it would help. darker to lighter shading maybe but im no map making buff lol.
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Postby Coleman on Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 pm

This is awesome. Still some issues though. I think you need to display the names in a similar fashion to the original map, I can't visualize the overlapping names working right now.

Other then that quench~! =D>
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby hulmey on Thu May 24, 2007 6:08 pm

fantastic work
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Re: Circus Maximus Revamp [Official]

Postby DiM on Thu May 24, 2007 6:30 pm

[quote="KEYOGI"]Circus Maximus Revamp
Original Cartographer: rocksolid
Revamp Cartographer: WidowMakers
Restrictions: None

there's one thing that puzzles me. what do you mean no restrictions? i thought each revamp has to obey the original map restrictions.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby johloh on Thu May 24, 2007 6:55 pm

i believe 'restrictions' means restrictions put on the revamp by the original cartographer...

so say a cartographer wants a certain style, or color scheme, or whatever...
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby sully800 on Thu May 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Image not loading :?

Edit: Never mind. Looks sweet so far!
Last edited by sully800 on Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major sully800

Postby DiM on Thu May 24, 2007 7:22 pm

johloh wrote:i believe 'restrictions' means restrictions put on the revamp by the original cartographer...

at some point i was really keen on doing a revamp but after keyoigi told me i'm not allowed to modify the gameplay just the graphics i kinda lost interest. but since i see here there are no restrictions i guess gameplay can suffer modifications? :shock:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Thu May 24, 2007 7:37 pm

DiM wrote:
johloh wrote:i believe 'restrictions' means restrictions put on the revamp by the original cartographer...

at some point i was really keen on doing a revamp but after keyoigi told me i'm not allowed to modify the gameplay just the graphics i kinda lost interest. but since i see here there are no restrictions i guess gameplay can suffer modifications? :shock:

No. You can't change the game play or some insane player on the site will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep. Unless the map isn't indochina, then I can't be so sure.

Back to this map... The image does seem to be broken.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby KEYOGI on Thu May 24, 2007 7:51 pm

If gameplay is broken in some way, then some minor tweaks may be necessary. DiM, I know you want to make major changes and for this I see no point. There is no reason why you cannot take these ideas and put them into a new map of an area we already have.

From the comments I've seen, people are having a hard enough time adjusting to just a visual update, could you imagine how the community would react if midway through a game there were suddenly new connections and such!?! But please, can we keep such discussions to the revamp thread and not clog up WidowMakers post with off topic ramblings.

I've updated the first post with a smaller version, hopefully that works for everyone.

Postby pancakemix on Thu May 24, 2007 7:55 pm

Some of the lines are a little wobbly between areas. Ex.:Honorius=>Imprerius borders.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Coleman on Thu May 24, 2007 7:58 pm

pancakemix wrote:Some of the lines are a little wobbly between areas. Ex.:Honorius=>Imprerius borders.

I think that was intentional, judging from the slope in the dirt there. I don't mind it.

More on that, I think a perfectly flat chariot ring isn't realistic, I guess it's up to the community on if we care about that or not.
Last edited by Coleman on Thu May 24, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Thu May 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Its good but not enough of the picture is the map. You need to make it bigger. Otherwise its incredible.
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Thu May 24, 2007 8:03 pm

i actually liked how the terits were shaped like arrows in the old map. could we have the same aspect in the new one?
Major DiM

Postby AK_iceman on Thu May 24, 2007 9:02 pm

DiM wrote:i actually liked how the terits were shaped like arrows in the old map. could we have the same aspect in the new one?

Yeah, that made it easier to tell that you could attack diagonally. With all the straight edges, it looks like you can only attack in front of you, and side-to-side.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Thu May 24, 2007 9:44 pm

GosoxJ wrote:Are you aware that you have a V in the word bonuses?

have you ever seen anything written in greek or latin...u's looked like v's
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby WidowMakers on Thu May 24, 2007 9:47 pm

Lanceyboyuk wrote:i believe that is on purpose lol. Great first draft. If you can try and make the stadium a bit more 3D in the bottom section i think it would help. darker to lighter shading maybe but im no map making buff lol.
I can't make it more 3D. It was made with a 3D program. Believe me I tilted it every way. This perspective give the largest area for teh actual map play area, while allowing everyone to see arean (Circus Maximus) as much as possible.

Coleman wrote:This is awesome. Still some issues though. I think you need to display the names in a similar fashion to the original map, I can't visualize the overlapping names working right now.
Other then that quench~! =D>
I will try that. I felt that this was a better feel but we shall see.
Coleman wrote:
pancakemix wrote:Some of the lines are a little wobbly between areas. Ex.:Honorius=>Imprerius borders.

I think that was intentional, judging from the slope in the dirt there. I don't mind it.
More on that, I think a perfectly flat chariot ring isn't realistic, I guess it's up to the community on if we care about that or not.
I will make a straight and wobbly track rings. Once they are up I will have Keyogi start a poll.
unriggable wrote:Its good but not enough of the picture is the map. You need to make it bigger. Otherwise its incredible.
I wanted to try and capture the actual feeling of the giant stadium and the atmosphere behind the circus maximus arena. The map is still playable and easy to read. The original map has a larger area but you really don't get a good feel of what circus maximus really is.

AK_iceman wrote:
DiM wrote:i actually liked how the terits were shaped like arrows in the old map. could we have the same aspect in the new one?

Yeah, that made it easier to tell that you could attack diagonally. With all the straight edges, it looks like you can only attack in front of you, and side-to-side.
I was actually thinking of this yesterday. I will update those for both the wobbly and straight track pictures.

Oh and should the original artist sig read: rocksolid or what my map currently has (from the original map on site)?
Here are the army pictures
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Thu May 24, 2007 10:00 pm

I like how you have the army numbers near the edge they attack from, but I'm sure somebody won't. :(

EDIT: Also a big fan of the wobbly lines. Why do I always hit submit too early and edit almost every post I make?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Thu May 24, 2007 10:32 pm

i just realized a big problem the arena gate is not simetrical.

aslo flags and banners should be added in the center
Major DiM

Postby RjBeals on Thu May 24, 2007 10:35 pm

DiM wrote:i just realized a big problem the arena gate is not simetrical.
Big Problem? The gate looks fine to me.
Private RjBeals

Postby KEYOGI on Thu May 24, 2007 11:58 pm

I see no problem with the gate, but the idea about the arrow shaped territories is spot on.

Postby Wisse on Fri May 25, 2007 12:42 am

i don't like the people and the horse riders i hope you can make them better
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby KEYOGI on Fri May 25, 2007 1:50 am

Which people Wisse? The one's on the chariots or in the crowd? Looks like WidowMakers has gone for the army number colours on the chariot racers.

Like It

Postby Keredrex on Fri May 25, 2007 3:38 am

Awesome I wanted a similar design..... Glad to see you had the same vision.

I was wondering if you can Lighten the ground of the actual territories ....sort of what happens when the horses and chariots race around again and again.. it would show a small difference from the outside ground color.. and maybe some flags or statues in the center island & gate area...Otherwise Its Great
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Next

Return to The Atlas