Conquer Club

Indian Subcontinent

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you like the font of the title? (see page 2, bottom image)

Total votes : 0

Indian Subcontinent

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:53 am

Last edited by gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Utafar on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:55 am

sweet! :D ya need to define the territory borders more though :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Utafar

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:08 am

This is my map of the indian subcontinent (plus myanmar and afghanistan). The top image is the continents and countries, the bottom image has the unpassables in it. Once i have confirmed where all the unpassables should go, ill put in the rivers and mountains properly (If i can). Im pretty leniant with unpassables if it helps the map. Ive moved the himalayas from the back of the pink continent to the front, and have extended and moved many of the rivers and mountains so it fits the map (Unfortunately they didnt make state boundries on river borders).
http://www.touristplacesinindia.com/gan ... rivers.jpg go to this website to see where the real rivers are in india, If you find one i should add, post here.

There are 43 countries (I know it should be 42, but i cant find a country to get rid of or combine).

There are 8 continents:
*Troubled North (Green) +5 maybe, open for discussion
*Himalayas (Pink) +2-3
*West India, if you have a better name, post it (red) +7 maybe, open for discussion
*South, if you have a better name, post it (green) +2
*Eastern Ghats, if you have a better name, post it (brownish-grey) +6 maybe, open for discussion
*Afghanistan (Yellow) +1
*Pakistan (Greyish-blue) +1

If you own Pakistan and Afghanistan you get 1-2 extra troops on top of you bonuses for afghanistan and pakistan.

Im currently using GIMP, if anyone knows how to create your own design when bucket filling can they plz post here, I want to make the myanmar flag the background of myanmar, the pakistan flag the background of pakistan etc.

If this map isnt almost ready in one week, progress may be slow as school starts again. :cry:

P.s. To Andy, can you organise a map-making 101, i think it would be really useful for all the nube map-makers out there. thnx.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Haydena on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:08 am

8 Continents is a bit much. And that background, that looks to be the same one Rev. Kyle used in his Antartica map, and it certainly doesn't fit a map of India.

Oh and if you're using gimp and you want to put an image under the continents, you should play with the transparency of the colour of the continent you want (For example pakistan) and then place the image underneath that layer and it will show through (assuming you want to keep the colour.
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:15 am

Haydena wrote:8 Continents is a bit much. And that background, that looks to be the same one Rev. Kyle used in his Antartica map, and it certainly doesn't fit a map of India.

The background comes with GIMP, and until i figure out how to create my own pattern to bucket fill with, it will have to stay (The version of GIMP i downloaded is spoilt, it doesnt come with the help functions, ive downloaded again but it still doesnt come up).

I know 8 continents is a bit much, but afghanistan and pakistan are meant to be one continent, so really there is only 7 (i know thats still too much, but it gives everyone a chance in the game and makes it harder to win even if you do get a continent early in the game.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:18 am

what happened to your Australia map with Jas IN Orbit?
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:23 am

reverend_kyle wrote:what happened to your Australia map with Jas IN Orbit?

Thats Jas_in_Obits map, not mine. I just want him/her to finish it so i can play it (Im from Australia)
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:36 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
reverend_kyle wrote:what happened to your Australia map with Jas IN Orbit?

Thats Jas_in_Obits map, not mine. I just want him/her to finish it so i can play it (Im from Australia)

for some reason I associate your name to it.. I like it visually not so sure about game play...

and change the background to reverend kyle ish...
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 pm

P.s. To Andy, can you organise a map-making 101, i think it would be really useful for all the nube map-makers out there. thnx

There is one...it's called..wait..'How To Make A Map'. ;) I'm not sure what more you want. I can't go writing how to use manuals for all the imaging programs out there. ;)

As for Australia, Jas is currently quite busy and not around very much. His map's status is 'Vacation', (little to no updates). Check the developmental atlas for further questions about status. Everything you need is at your finger tips, now use it. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:52 pm

While changing the background i realised that it is going to be very annoying to change the layout of the continents and countries after i have been playing with the asthetics.

So, on a playability level, will this map work? If not, what countries do i need to move/create/destroy to make it work?

I was thinking about adding a country to afghanistan, would that be smart?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:36 pm

How accurate is the drawing to that of India, because on second thought I'm not sure how close that is..
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:28 am

reverend_kyle wrote:How accurate is the drawing to that of India, because on second thought I'm not sure how close that is..

The borders are pretty accurate, the unpassables not at all. Because im not too good with the software im using i had to draw in the country borders.

To map experts (eg. Jota): what is your opinion on the playability of this map, will it work?

To Andy: From reading other threads i note that you like to keep out of the general map layout until the very end. For this dont, Id rather now fix ur critizisms than later. Also if u have nothing better to do, could you make a stickied post which has all the finished maps on it, so i can compare asthetics and playability with other maps. Using the game finder takes too many windows and is quite slow (priority: low).
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:14 am

I'm talking the overall shape in general....;It doesnt seem like India is really shaped like that.. I could be wrong..
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Machiavelli on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:47 pm

You need to better define what borders are unpassable, where are the mountains?
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:53 am

ab
Last edited by gavin_sidhu on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:02 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
reverend_kyle wrote:I'm talking the overall shape in general....;It doesnt seem like India is really shaped like that.. I could be wrong..

This was the original picture i used

The cropped version is this:
Yellow is the area im doing, red is the sea and green is other countries.[/img][/list]

I think the whole india being separated thing threw me off... and made it seem funny looking.. i stand corrected.. Ilike it..

execept for that there seems too be too many borders..
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:15 am

This is the latest edit. I dont have any of the unpassables in yet because my version with the unpassables gets strange every time i try and edit it.

Ive added a country to afghanistan so that the additional bonuses of owning both pakistan and afghanistan are not excessive. The point of the bonuses of owning either afghanistan or pakistan was the upper hand if someone else was going for the same two continents.

I had the last background because i wanted it to feel like the monsoonal rains of india, but because it was not liked ive changed it to red, which i think is an indian colour. Will change it in the future to make it more pretty, as with the continent colours.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby fluffybunnykins on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:51 pm

is there anything more imaginative to call 'northern areas' or is that just how it is refered to?
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby Jota on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:27 pm

I was about to do that analysis you were asking for a few days ago, but now I'm having trouble finding a version of the map with the mountains intact (was the old version removed from Photobucket?), so I'll only post a couple quick comments for the moment.

gavin_sidhu wrote:There are 43 countries (I know it should be 42, but i cant find a country to get rid of or combine).

It doesn't have to be 42. Numbers like 45 and 48 are just as good. Even 44's not too bad. Flow between continents seems pretty good here; it looks like there are multiple paths to get anyplace with no serious bottlenecks. I'll post more when the mountains are reinstated.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:35 am

Well here is the picture with where i think the unpassables will go. The thick brown lines represent mountains and the thick blue lines represent rivers.

fluffybunnykins Posted: 13 Jul 2006 17:51 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there anything more imaginative to call 'northern areas' or is that just how it is refered to?

I didnt make up any of the names, theyre all from the atlas, pakistan calls that area its "Northern Areas" (doesnt really matter bcos nobody lives there cos its mountains and has nuclear radiation from bomb testing.

There now is 44 countries.

*Keenly waiting Jota's analysis*
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:30 pm

bump (yes im just trying to increase my post count)
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:46 am

noooo! it's dying! save the map! save the map!
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby happysadfun on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:29 pm

is the thick black unpassable?
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:26 pm

as of this moment it is better than middle east.. work on the background.. the red is painful... the blue was unfitting... if you can I'd get something grainy,.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:09 am

Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas