Conquer Club

Post a picture of yourself!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Post a picture of yourself!

Postby KoolBak on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:11 pm

2dimes wrote:What is it called if you kill them all and let someone who eats a lot of squirrels, sort them out?

West Virginia.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Lieutenant KoolBak

Postby tzor on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Decimating is to kill every tenth one. Unless you have ten yards, it's impossible to decimate them.

But it can also apply to collections, such as troops which consist of individuals. The question becomes whether a backyard is such a collection and if so, of what? Now some backyards are measured in the square foot, so if the squirrels managed to take one in ten of the square feet and kill it, the backyard has been decimated.

That square foot is dead.
"I"m not dead yet."
It's clearly mortally wounded.
"I'm getting better."
Cadet tzor

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:12 pm

tzor wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Decimating is to kill every tenth one. Unless you have ten yards, it's impossible to decimate them.

But it can also apply to collections, such as troops which consist of individuals. The question becomes whether a backyard is such a collection and if so, of what? Now some backyards are measured in the square foot, so if the squirrels managed to take one in ten of the square feet and kill it, the backyard has been decimated.

"I"m not dead yet."
"I'm getting better."

Are squirrels eligible to claim land under the Homesteading Act?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

There's homesteading in Mex?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:how many wars have you been to... you stinky hippie?

I have not been to war, but I have shot machine guns, thrown hand grenades, been exposed to tear gas, shot many other weapons as well.

Have you been in a war Messican?

I'm currently waging a war on squirrels, they're decimating the back yard and when i try to scare them they sometimes don't even care.

Decimating is to kill every tenth one. Unless you have ten yards, it's impossible to decimate them.

Coincidentally, last night I started reading one of the books you recommended, and in it the verb "to decimate' is used in the same manner I used it here.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 am

Dukasaur wrote:
tzor wrote:

"I"m not dead yet."
"I'm getting better."

Squirrels have rights too, you bigot.

Ban Duk.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby tzor on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:45 am

Dukasaur wrote:Are squirrels eligible to claim land under the Homesteading Act?
  1. It applies to public land only
  2. It requires maintaining the land for 5 years (The average life span of grey squirrels is extremely brief -- generally only between 11 and 12 months, according to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.)
  3. They have to fill out the form, which is not written in squirrel.
Cadet tzor

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:49 am

nietzsche wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

I have not been to war, but I have shot machine guns, thrown hand grenades, been exposed to tear gas, shot many other weapons as well.

I'm currently waging a war on squirrels, they're decimating the back yard and when i try to scare them they sometimes don't even care.

Decimating is to kill every tenth one. Unless you have ten yards, it's impossible to decimate them.

Coincidentally, last night I started reading one of the books you recommended, and in it the verb "to decimate' is used in the same manner I used it here.

I know. You're not uniquely guilty in this respect. This particular linguistic offense is committed by millions of people, including historians who should know better.

tzor wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Are squirrels eligible to claim land under the Homesteading Act?
  1. It applies to public land only
  2. It requires maintaining the land for 5 years (The average life span of grey squirrels is extremely brief -- generally only between 11 and 12 months, according to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.)
  3. They have to fill out the form, which is not written in squirrel.

Poor squirrels. Can't catch a break...:(
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby tzor on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Poor squirrels. Can't catch a break...:(

Actually, all squirrels qualify for Section 8 housing due to their large family size and zero income levels. :twisted:

The Section 8 Housing Program, also called the Housing Choice Voucher Program, is a federally funded government assistance program intended to help low- and moderate-income families in the United States find a rental home. Regarding what qualifies you for Section 8 housing, the most important eligibility requirement for the program is the family’s gross annual income, but many other factors also contribute to the final decision. As the program is one of the most popular and sought-after in the country, many states have decided to close their waiting lists and no longer receive applications. Participants in the Section 8 Program must also continue to meet the eligibility requirements in order to keep receiving assistance. In some instances, the program requirements include additional special programs in which families must be included to achieve financial independence and reach their career or educational goals.

In other words if they are caught teasing the chipmunks they can loose their housing. :mrgreen:
Cadet tzor

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:37 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:

To be fair, words do change meaning. Decimation originated from Latin, and referred to the old punishment. Now it means something else. I kinda like being pedantic, but this is one of those occasions where it hinders more than it helps.

I know that "awful" was kind of a compliment in the past, and that "idiot" derives from Greek ideas of individuals who don't participate in politics.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue May 31, 2022 4:35 pm

There is the original meaning of a word (here it is labeled "Historical").

Most of us know that words get used in different contexts and change meaning over time (#1 directly below).The meaning and usage of the word decimate has that status, being used originally by Romans.

decimate
verb
kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of.
"the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness"
HISTORICAL
kill one in every ten of (a group of soldiers or others) as a punishment for the whole group.
"the man who is to determine whether it be necessary to decimate a large body of mutineers"

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095705748#:~:text=Kill%20one%20in%20every%20ten,remove%20a%20large%20proportion%20of.

QUICK REFERENCE
Kill one in every ten of (a group of people) as a punishment for the whole group; kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of. In Middle English the term decimation denoted the levying of a tithe, and later the tax imposed by Cromwell on the Royalists (1655). The verb decimate originally alluded to the Roman punishment of executing one man in ten of a mutinous legion.

Historically, the meaning of the word decimate is ‘kill one in every ten of (a group of people)’. This sense has been more or less totally superseded by the later, more general sense ‘kill or destroy (a large proportion of)’, as in the virus has decimated the population. Some traditionalists argue that this and other later senses are incorrect, but it is clear that this is now part of standard English.

Definition of decimate
transitive verb

1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
decimate a regiment
2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from
poor as a decimated Cavalier
— John Dryden
3a: to reduce drastically especially in number
cholera decimated the population
Kamieniecki's return comes at a crucial time for a pitching staff that has been decimated by injuries.
— Jason Diamos
b: to cause great destruction or harm to
firebombs decimated the city
an industry decimated by recession

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decimate

NO one person or group has a monopoly and/or exclusive rights of how a word is used by others. Those who appreciate language try to define a word, but know that the definition of a good word, such as "nice" will evolve with time.

Here are more examples:
Nice — Originally meant "foolish, ignorant, frivolous, senseless." from Old French nice (12c.) meaning "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius ("ignorant or unaware"). Literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (from PIE root *ne- "not") + stem of scire "to know" (compare with science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid, faint-hearted" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c. 1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).
Demagogue — Originally meant "a popular leader". It is from the Greek dēmagōgós "leader of the people", from dēmos "people" + agōgós "leading, guiding". Now the word has strong connotations of a politician who panders to emotions and prejudice.
Egregious — Originally described something that was remarkably good. The word is from the Latin egregius "illustrious, select", literally, "standing out from the flock", which is from ex—"out of" + greg—(grex) "flock". Now it means something that is remarkably bad or flagrant.
Gay — Originally meant (13th century) "lighthearted", "joyous" or (14th century) "bright and showy", it also came to mean "happy"; it acquired connotations of immorality as early as 1637, either sexual e.g., gay woman "prostitute", gay man "womaniser", gay house "brothel", or otherwise, e.g., gay dog "over-indulgent man" and gay deceiver "deceitful and lecherous". In the United States by 1897 the expression gay cat referred to a hobo, especially a younger hobo in the company of an older one; by 1935, it was used in prison slang for a homosexual boy; and by 1951, and clipped to gay, referred to homosexuals. George Chauncey, in his book Gay New York, would put this shift as early as the late 19th century among a certain "in crowd", knowledgeable of gay night-life. In the modern day, it is most often used to refer to homosexuals, at first among themselves and then in society at large, with a neutral connotation; or as a derogatory synonym for "silly", "dumb", or "boring".[2]

Nice..!
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby riskllama on Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 pm

gay... :?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:29 am

Egregious!
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:21 am

Demogorgon !

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:56 pm

a bunch of demagogues here.....LoL :D

Nice — Originally meant "foolish, ignorant, frivolous, senseless." from Old French nice (12c.) meaning "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius ("ignorant or unaware"). Literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (from PIE root *ne- "not") + stem of scire "to know" (compare with science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid, faint-hearted" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c. 1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).
Demagogue — Originally meant "a popular leader". It is from the Greek dēmagōgós "leader of the people", from dēmos "people" + agōgós "leading, guiding". Now the word has strong connotations of a politician who panders to emotions and prejudice.
Egregious — Originally described something that was remarkably good. The word is from the Latin egregius "illustrious, select", literally, "standing out from the flock", which is from ex—"out of" + greg—(grex) "flock". Now it means something that is remarkably bad or flagrant.
Gay — Originally meant (13th century) "lighthearted", "joyous" or (14th century) "bright and showy", it also came to mean "happy"; it acquired connotations of immorality as early as 1637, either sexual e.g., gay woman "prostitute", gay man "womaniser", gay house "brothel", or otherwise, e.g., gay dog "over-indulgent man" and gay deceiver "deceitful and lecherous". In the United States by 1897 the expression gay cat referred to a hobo, especially a younger hobo in the company of an older one; by 1935, it was used in prison slang for a homosexual boy; and by 1951, and clipped to gay, referred to homosexuals. George Chauncey, in his book Gay New York, would put this shift as early as the late 19th century among a certain "in crowd", knowledgeable of gay night-life. In the modern day, it is most often used to refer to homosexuals, at first among themselves and then in society at large, with a neutral connotation; or as a derogatory synonym for "silly", "dumb", or "boring".[2]
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,