Conquer Club

3d map. Life in prison...Money and Respect (new poll.page 7)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What angle do you think is best? (look at page 7 for the images)

Total votes : 0

3d map. Life in prison...Money and Respect (new poll.page 7)

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:27 pm

inspired by widowmakers 3d map i decided to learn a 3d modelling program and have fun with it. while working i realised the potential of a 3d map. and i mean a real 3d map not a 2d image of a 3d map. is it possible that in the future we'll have 3d maps? nothing really fancy. something basic. but you can really do something nice. with zooming and rotating and such. for example the map i made has little details that are barely visible but if you zoom in you can see people cars motorbikes or you can even see touchpads on the security doors. things that are really useless if i look at the map from above. but with a zoom or rotation feature it makes a lot of difference.
what do you think??

North:

North-East:

East:

South-East:

South:

South-West:

West:

North-West:

Top:
Last edited by DiM on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:54 pm

which program was it DiM?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby JupitersKing on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:57 pm

Very cool idea Dim, can't wait for you to figure it out and do something with it... :wink:

JK
"Oh Shit!" George Armstrong Custer, 25 June 1876.

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:01 pm

cairnswk wrote:which program was it DiM?

google sketchup free and easy to use. and the drawings can be imported in google earth :D

it's not a very powerfull tool but you can do amazing things with it if you have time and talent. probably if real 3d maps will be introduced i'll learn some other 3d modelling program. someting better.

i'll post some images tomorrow. i'm at work now and i don't have them with me.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:02 pm

cant people just finish maps before starting something new? please lol
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:04 pm

Lanceyboyuk wrote:cant people just finish maps before starting something new? please lol

what??? :shock:
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:59 pm

I too really like this idea. The problem is I can't see this working unless we could use a flash based video/interface. I have spoken to lack in the past and hew said he does not want to use flash.
For a 3D map to work the XML would need to be 3D coordinates and the picture would always need to be able to understand where it is. That is where flash comes in.

However, by using only standard HTML, the site can be used by all people with the internet. Now there is a possibility of using multiple angles of a 3D environment and having a button to flip between them. But I really don't think a zoom in/out and pan map will work with the current setup or with what lack wants to use.

It would be cool but I don't think it can work under the current conditions
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:35 pm

WidowMakers wrote:I too really like this idea. The problem is I can't see this working unless we could use a flash based video/interface. I have spoken to lack in the past and hew said he does not want to use flash.
For a 3D map to work the XML would need to be 3D coordinates and the picture would always need to be able to understand where it is. That is where flash comes in.

However, by using only standard HTML, the site can be used by all people with the internet. Now there is a possibility of using multiple angles of a 3D environment and having a button to flip between them. But I really don't think a zoom in/out and pan map will work with the current setup or with what lack wants to use.

It would be cool but I don't think it can work under the current conditions

sketchup is google earth compatible and idon't think google earth is made in flash. and it has zooming and 3d movement. perhaps something like google earth could be implemented. i don't know. i'm not a programmer.

pehaps lack could look at other options if he does not like flash.

it would really set new standards and add a whole lot of realism to the battlefield. imagine zooming on the map and seeing a sniper on the hil or a few grenadiers or even a panzer division. :wink:
Major DiM

Re: real 3d maps

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 pm

DiM wrote:inspired by widowmakers 3d map i decided to learn a 3d modelling program and have fun with it. while working i realised the potential of a 3d map. and i mean a real 3d map not a 2d image of a 3d map. is it possible that in the future we'll have 3d maps? nothing really fancy. something basic. but you can really do something nice. with zooming and rotating and such. for example the map i made has little details that are barely visible but if you zoom in you can see people cars motorbikes or you can even see touchpads on the secuurity doors. things that are really useless if i look at the map from above. but with a zoom or rotation feature it makes a lot of difference.
what do you think??

Something like a spherical classic map that you drag around to rotate? I thought about that for a while, stuff like that doesn't seem very plausible.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 pm

I really see no value in the idea. A 3D map really wouldn't offer anything new in gameplay, it'll just mean there is a bigger file to download. DiM, I know you mean well, but I feel you're trying to turn CC into a videogame arcade. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:39 am

KEYOGI wrote:I really see no value in the idea. A 3D map really wouldn't offer anything new in gameplay, it'll just mean there is a bigger file to download. DiM, I know you mean well, but I feel you're trying to turn CC into a videogame arcade. :wink:

actually it would offer something to gameplay. it's called feeling. :wink:

as for the file it will only take some time to download the first time you enter the map then it is stored in the cache so the next time it's instant. plus the graphics won't be some state of the art directX 10 with bumpmapping and vertex shaders :P so it won't require space age computers to run. :lol:
Major DiM

Postby Teya on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:56 am

How is feeling adding to gameplay?

DiM, I know you mean well, but I feel you're trying to turn CC into a videogame arcade.

Im going to have to agree with this. Alot of your suggestions are so far from being a variation on risk its not funny. Like an RPG map.:roll: Maybe you need to find a site that offers this type of game for you.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:53 am

DiM's imagination to much for this little old siet ;)
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby JupitersKing on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:15 am

DiM, I know you mean well, but I feel you're trying to turn CC into a videogame arcade.

Teya wrote:Im going to have to agree with this. Alot of your suggestions are so far from being a variation on risk its not funny. Like an RPG map.:roll: Maybe you need to find a site that offers this type of game for you.

gimil wrote:DiM's imagination to much for this little old siet ;)

At least he has imagination... unlike, it seems, most of the members in this forum.

At least he has the balls to make the suggestion... even if it is far flung and probably never going to happen.

Seems to me if more people had ideas and weren't afraid to suggest them that CC would be a much better place than it all ready is. It also seems to me that telling someone to find another site to play at because their ideas are too big for you reminds me a lot of the church burning people at the stakes for having the tenasity to suggest the Earth was round and not flat.

Give it a rest... either say you like it, don't like it, or that you don't think it can be done. What exactly is the point of the negative comments that have nothing to do with the idea? What exactly is the point of running him off to another site?

Oh yes, now I remember. If we stiffle Dim's imagination none of us will have to use our imagination, or think about new ideas we aren't used to (or ready for).

JK

PS The Age of Merchants map is nothing like any other maps on CC and it's the one I'm most looking forward to playing. And if it weren't for the dream of one zombie-cyclops boy that map would still be Dim's wetdream. But wait, he actually put the idea forward, waded through the bullshit, and got it into the Forge.
"Oh Shit!" George Armstrong Custer, 25 June 1876.

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby Wisse on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 am

JupitersKing wrote:

Teya wrote:Im going to have to agree with this. Alot of your suggestions are so far from being a variation on risk its not funny. Like an RPG map.:roll: Maybe you need to find a site that offers this type of game for you.

gimil wrote:DiM's imagination to much for this little old siet ;)

At least he has imagination... unlike, it seems, most of the members in this forum.

At least he has the balls to make the suggestion... even if it is far flung and probably never going to happen.

Seems to me if more people had ideas and weren't afraid to suggest them that CC would be a much better place than it all ready is. It also seems to me that telling someone to find another site to play at because their ideas are too big for you reminds me a lot of the church burning people at the stakes for having the tenasity to suggest the Earth was round and not flat.

Give it a rest... either say you like it, don't like it, or that you don't think it can be done. What exactly is the point of the negative comments that have nothing to do with the idea? What exactly is the point of running him off to another site?

Oh yes, now I remember. If we stiffle Dim's imagination none of us will have to use our imagination, or think about new ideas we aren't used to (or ready for).

JK

PS The Age of Merchants map is nothing like any other maps on CC and it's the one I'm most looking forward to playing. And if it weren't for the dream of one zombie-cyclops boy that map would still be Dim's wetdream. But wait, he actually put the idea forward, waded through the bullshit, and got it into the Forge.

i totaly agree (exept the part under JK but thats because i am most looking forward to play my china map)

though i don't have such ideas it would be great to make a map with those things in it (like the new xmll features)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:20 am

i dont see why muy comments in there : \. i appreciate DiMs imagination and have alot of respect for him because of that
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:22 am

Teya wrote:How is feeling adding to gameplay?

Im going to have to agree with this. Alot of your suggestions are so far from being a variation on risk its not funny. Like an RPG map.:roll: Maybe you need to find a site that offers this type of game for you.

let's say you play classic risk on the real cardboard map. would you prefer to have little plastic cubes instead of little plastic/metal horses and cannons? i don't think so. or at least i wouldn't give my tanks and aircrafts for something else.

anyway here are a few screenshots of the 3d map i've been working on.

garage

gate

helipad

outer wall

armored vans

cellblocks

watchtower
Major DiM

Postby Wisse on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 am

you drawed that all yourself? wow
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:25 am

those are really good. That could easily be added to the cc roit map
Cook dominationnation

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:26 am

Care to elaborate more on the images? How they all tie together and such?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:29 am

yes i do have an overactive imagination. sometimes my ideas are good sometimes they are bad. i'm not forcing anybody to agree with me. i'm merely suggesting things i would like. if lack likes them and implements them that's perfect if he doesn't i don't mind. i don't expect him to come and change everything just for me. all i want is people to take a look at my ideas and give constructive feedback. and "go to another site" is not constructive at all. just say if you'd like it or not.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:30 am

Wisse wrote:you drawed that all yourself? wow

some parts are drawn from scratch some are made with the help of free to use images.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:31 am

dominationnation wrote:those are really good. That could easily be added to the cc roit map

what's cc roit?? :shock: :?
Major DiM

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:32 am

one thing I dont get is how it woul be done. It seems like it would be to confusing as to where all the borders are. Maby if you actually drew up a map I would be able to see it. Can you get a quick 3d map up
Cook dominationnation

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:34 am

KEYOGI wrote:Care to elaborate more on the images? How they all tie together and such?

the images are part of a prison map. but the whole map is far from finished so that's why i only posted bits of it.

and before you say mibi is doing a prison map we don't need another one let me inform you i talked with mibi about a prison map before he even posted his thread and clearly there's enough rooms for 2 prison maps because this one has a whole new gameplay (not possible yet because i need some more xml features)
Major DiM

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas