Conquer Club

[Official] Montreal REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby johloh on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:39 pm

also...id like to suggest the '+1 to downtown' be directly applied to downtown (with the new xml changes).

if rocksolid approves the change I think it would be a good addition.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby Skittles! on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:04 am

I'm sorry, but I don't see why a Re-Vamp of Montreal is nessacary. It looks good already, all you basically need to do is fix some pixels up.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Coleman on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:25 am

Skittles! wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see why a Re-Vamp of Montreal is nessacary. It looks good already, all you basically need to do is fix some pixels up.

:shock: You're kidding right?

Although I do think Canada needs a revamp the most out of anyone right now.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Skittles! on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:36 am

Coleman wrote:
Skittles! wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see why a Re-Vamp of Montreal is nessacary. It looks good already, all you basically need to do is fix some pixels up.

:shock: You're kidding right?

Although I do think Canada needs a revamp the most out of anyone right now.

Nope, I'm not kidding. I don't believe that it should have a re-vamp. It's still better than the best map at Landgrab, and so I don't think it needs a re-vamp.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:00 am

C'est tres jolie!

Looking great. Basically it seems ready for play already! Well done.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:10 am

johloh wrote:i agree with hulmeys comments and...

-bridges could look better
-the small river text is too small and unreadable...
-id remove rivere des praires, bajo de valois, and rapides or make them more readable somehow.
-im not sure i like the region font too much, but its not terrible, i think it could be more readable
-the impassible mine in the middle (borders mtlnord, stleonard,ahuntsic, and villeray) doesnt look very 'miney' to me. maybe change the graphic for it? make it more brown? something?
-also the graphic of the twin hills (where the cross is) could be better. i know you got the skills widow to make it look like two hills instead of a forest.

also i think the small map is way too big. i know people have been pushing the size limits lately, but the purpose of the small map is to help out people with low resolution monitors. i think making the big one at 820px is no big deal...but the small one at 738px is too big in my opinion. thats practically a 'large map'.
Ok those are great suggestions. I will not be able to update anything till after the weekend. Monday or Tuesday I will have an update with the suggestions above and any other ones that come by then.

Plus RockSolid noticed I have put an island in Valois Bay. He said that the island does not exist. It was on the map I used to make the borders but it is not on Google Earth. I will be removing that as well.
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:55 am

johloh wrote:also...id like to suggest the '+1 to downtown' be directly applied to downtown (with the new xml changes).

I like this idea.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:37 am

yeti_c wrote:
johloh wrote:also...id like to suggest the '+1 to downtown' be directly applied to downtown (with the new xml changes).

I like this idea.

C.
RockSolid has nothing to do with the changes of the actual XML code. As long as the Bonuses are the same, he does not mind.

In regards to the channging of the 3 4-way borders in the original map, does anyone have any issue with how RockSolid and I decided to change them?
They are listed in the first post. 4-ways have been a "no no" in the foundry since I have been here. These would be the only changes to the XML other than coordinates and the new downtown bonus setup.
Major WidowMakers

Postby MR. Nate on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:42 pm

I think Johloh was talking about the +1 for downtown being applied to the downtown, instead of just being given to the holder. The reason that I think rocksolid would have to approve it because that would change gameplay.

As for the borders, I don't think that the gameplay is going to be significantly changed by the border changes, but in the interest of keeping it as close to the original as possible, is there any way you could institute something impassable right on the corner. In Keyogi's revamp of the middle east, Luxor, Eastern Desert, Darfur and East Nubia used to have 4 way corners, now there's a small lake there. It breaks up and defines the corners without changing the gameplay one iota. I've never been to Montreal, but are there statues, or famous buildings, or even walls in any of those areas that could be inserted to keep the original borders?

That being said, I think the map is beautiful. I will certainly be playing in Montreal more when it's finished.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby d.gishman on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:50 pm

great looking map, but the park in the middle with the cross disturbs me in some way... looks out of place or something
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby hulmey on Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:46 pm

.....i agree about d park
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:21 am

i think you should try to add-in the yellow islands.
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Spiegelprime on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:44 pm

I like the park, and the Cross...it's a true Montreal landmark. It looks sort of out of place in reality :-P
Private 1st Class Spiegelprime

Postby d.gishman on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:48 pm

What i meant was not the park itself (I know that park in real life), but i meant the texture that the artist put on the park - it has like, ripples and bends and looks weird

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Here are the updates
*The hills with the cross look more like hills now.
*I made suspension bridges for all of the bridges. I know they are not suspension bridges everywhere but if I don't then the raods I had before are more accurate. I personally like the previous version with roads becasue it is less busy
*The small water text has been removed
*I made the larger water text italics like t he wording under the title
*I changed the territory font to regular instead of italics.
*And made the small version SMALL :D

Major WidowMakers

Postby johloh on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:14 am

-you changed the mine too

-I like the old bridges better too. but i still didnt like the old ones...
-mine/hills are looking good
-small text gone is good too
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby MR. Nate on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 am

I don't like the new bridges at all.

Don't hate me for nitpicking, but is there a way to do an arch bridge instead of a suspension bridge? It might accomplish what you're looking for without looking as dorky, plus, you could probably make one and scale it.

Just a thought.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Here is the latest update.
*I still have not redone the bridges.
*I sent an email to RockSolid about putting the +1 to downtown instead of letting the player deploy it. A territorial bonus for Downtown.

<country>
<name>Downtown</name>

<borders>
<border>Westmount</border>
<border>Plateau</border>
<border>Hochelaga</border>
<border>St-Lambert</border>
</borders>

<coordinates>
<smallx>434</smallx>
<smally>307</smally>
<largex>543</largex>
<largey>377</largey>
</coordinates>
<bonus>1</bonus>
</country>

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... real_3.xml

Major WidowMakers

Postby hulmey on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:15 am

think you can do alot better with the cross. It looks very awakard and horrid (sorry) :oops:

Also the brown cow pat which is not a terrioty...Can you do something with that?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 am

WidowMakers wrote:Here is the latest update.
*I sent an email to RockSolid about putting the +1 to downtown instead of letting the player deploy it. A territorial bonus for Downtown.

Remember - you'll have to take the bonus out of the Continents XML too (I didn't check - so don't know whether you did or not!)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:25 am

yeti_c wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:Here is the latest update.

Remember - you'll have to take the bonus out of the Continents XML too (I didn't check - so don't know whether you did or not!)

C.
Currently the XML is the same. I have not touched the bonus. If RockSOlid agrees I will remove teh "continent " bonus for Downtown and add the territory bonus shown above.

hulmey wrote:think you can do alot better with the cross. It looks very awakard and horrid (sorry) Embarassed

Also the brown cow pat which is not a terrioty...Can you do something with that?
I really don't know what you mean. If you want it to be more realistic, you won't see it. Ideas?

As far as the quarry goes. I changed it to brown per another request. It was gray. Suggestions. There is not a lot you do with a rock pit from that far away.

Is that all? Are there other suggestions? If I get these 2 things fixed (assuming there is a better way) does anyone have any more ideas or suggestion?
Major WidowMakers

Postby Molacole on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:29 am

I think this map would look better with army circles. A whitish\clear circle might look good.

I'll try and give some more imput in a couple days or so.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby d.gishman on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:36 am

Yeah the park looks really good now. My only problems now is the bridges (I have no idea why people were complaining about that... I think the old bridges looked quite awesome). Also, the brown quarry looked fine when it was grey (to be honest, i didn't even notice it before.. now it's too obvious and imposing)

So far, great map, again, a huge improvement from the old map

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:42 pm

The map's looking good, but I have a couple of little things for discussion.

The large grey impassable area seems to stand out in contrast to the park and brown area. It might be as simple as adjusting the brightness of the area, but I think something could be done to make this area look a little better.

The other little thing is the clashing of army numbers and territory colours. It's only really a problem for me with Ile Bizard and the aqua number, which could be fixed with a slight change of tone for the island. I'd also like to see a yellow number on South Shore just to make sure that's not going to be a problem.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Molacole wrote:I think this map would look better with army circles. A whitish\clear circle might look good.

I'll try and give some more imput in a couple days or so.
I talked to RockSolid about this in the beginning. He does not want army circles.

Also the XML territory bonus of +1 to Downtown is not what RockSolid wants. He want s the XML to stay the way that it is.

Here is the update with XML numbers and the old bridges and old gray quary.

I can work on the airport area. I will also try to get the cyan territories more differentiated from the cyan numbers.
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas