Conquer Club

Book Thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:09 am

Banana Stomper wrote:
Machiavelli wrote:
Banana Stomper wrote:Alice in wonderland and Through the looking glass and what alice found there are two of the very best books i have ever read.

That's three books :roll:

No, they are two books. One is called Alice in Wonderland and the other is called Through the Looking Glass and what Alice Found There.

My dad has a book with them all combined.. I was under the impression it was 1 book.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:09 am

TitusFinn wrote:I'll hang with Quee on Catcher In The Rye. Also....

The Fountainhead

ayn rand??
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby mattywuh on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:34 am

My current top five, not in an order though.

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

East of Eden - John Steinbeck

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey (spelling?)

Just finished reading A Clockwork Orange - enjoyed (if you can 'enjoy' that one) Surprised at how such a short book managed to draw me in so much.

Always enjoy books by John LeCarre . Can be slightly over complex though. Graham Greene books are pretty good too.
Sergeant 1st Class mattywuh

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:39 am

I read the oreilly factor book once.... It amazed me at how little logic he used.... basically something was bad in taht book if it was something clinton liked.. and he said that.. he said almost exactly " clintion did this so it is bad because clinton got sucked off by monica"...

Pick it up if you dont believe me.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Banana Stomper on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:53 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
Banana Stomper wrote:
Machiavelli wrote:
Banana Stomper wrote:Alice in wonderland and Through the looking glass and what alice found there are two of the very best books i have ever read.

That's three books :roll:

No, they are two books. One is called Alice in Wonderland and the other is called Through the Looking Glass and what Alice Found There.

My dad has a book with them all combined.. I was under the impression it was 1 book.

Yea, they come like that a lot. They are, however, two distinct stories. Through the looking glass is sort of a sequel, but only in themes and alice. Alice in wonderland is based on a deck of cards while through the looking glass is based on a game of chess. Alice in wonderland isn't referenced in through the looking glass.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby elebdae on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 am

All of J.R.R. Tolkien's book's are awesome.

I particularly enjoyed the Silmarillion, brilliant work. He has putted so much detail in the world of middle earth that it is a unverse in itself. The elvish speak is a fully gramatical speach based on the declinations of latin speach...Really enjoy that as well.

All the R.A. Salvatore books, from any series or "universes", are also chef-d'oeuvres.

And if you happen to speak (read) french, you should absolutely read Bernard Werber's books, his bests ones being the trilogy of the ants (Les Foumies, Le jour des fourmies, La rƩvolutions des fourmies). The social mesage passed in those books is just "grandiose". And if you like philosophy and theologie, all his work is something you should read at least once in your life (I have personnally read all of his books at least 2 times). You can also check for the translation of his work if you do not mind reading translated books (it is available in 23 languages).

Another french author is Khalil Gibran (still in the philosophy and theologie section here)

And one of the most moving and message-full (if that's a word) book is: Jonathan Livingston the seagull (it is a french written book again) by Richard Bach

Enjoy! :wink:
Sergeant elebdae

Postby sportsdd2 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:03 am

im reading a book called Rangers Aprentice its ok so far
907 sportsdd2 1401 191 Image 10-0 United States 2/5/07
Corporal 1st Class sportsdd2

Postby Master Bush on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:05 am

Books are for people that can't read.
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby sportsdd2 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 am

how does that make sence

Postby Master Bush on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 am

You're so illiterate, I bet you cant even hear me!
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby sportsdd2 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:09 am

i see said my mute dog

Postby hawkeye on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 pm

i just started the sillmarilion and it can be sooooo boring
Cook hawkeye

Postby hawkeye on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:03 pm

o and his dark material trilogy
Cook hawkeye

Postby qeee1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:51 pm

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

All very nice, I tought Cath 22 dragged on a bit, but got stronger again at the end.

I've never read East of Eden, but I've read some of Steinbeck's other books, as in the Pearl and Of Mice and Men. And I've never read One Flew... although like most others I've seen the film.

I loved Clockwork Orange, takes a while to get into, I almost gave up on the first page, but yeah, great book. His alternative vocabulary feels so satisfying to read after a while.

Lord of the rings is an accomplishment in the sheer scope of the world, but I think as a story writer Tolkein sometimes falls down. That said, I read and loved LOTR, the sillmarilion and The Hobbit. Unfinished tales bored me, but then I read that a long time after the other books, and so it was hard to place a lot of the stories within the greater universe. That's really what makes the books work I think, the feeling that every action is part of something greater, a greater story.

Ah, I've already rambled too much, Crime and Punishment was one of those pretentious books I mentioned. I mean I really liked it, but I feel so pretentious listing it as my favourite books. I'm sure a lot of it was probably over my head, but the depth into which the main character is developed is astounding.

Also all book haters... that's sad.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby hawkeye on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:04 pm

books, music, money, and electricity make the world go round...figurativaly of coure
Cook hawkeye

Postby mattywuh on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:20 pm

books, music, money, and electricity make the world go round...figurativaly of coure

lol - love the fact that you've pre-empted someone on here going into detail as to how the world actually does go round.

All very nice, I thought Catch 22 dragged on a bit, but got stronger again at the end.

Yeah - I do remember not really being interested in one or two of the characters, and wishing he'd get back to the others. But it's the only book I've read in adulthood that has actually made me laugh aloud. (Where it is intentional that is... not just due to the crapness of the book...)

I liked East of Eden cos it was a little more lighthearted than Of Mice And Men, and The Grapes of Wrath, but still had brilliant characterisation.

his dark material trilogy

Good set of books.
Sergeant 1st Class mattywuh

Postby hawkeye on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:27 pm

i cried at the end though and not cause somebody hit me with a chair but really sappy book at least the last few chapters
Cook hawkeye

Postby qeee1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:20 pm

AK_iceman wrote:I am a huge Dan Brown fan.
Absolutely loved Angels and Demons!
Thought The Da Vinci Code was awesome!
Digital Fortress was excellent!
and much much more....

...Anyone else hate Dan Brown?

I mean it's not as if the books are particularly bad or anything, they're just another pulpy thrash book, but the reaction created by them pisses me off.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Machiavelli on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:09 pm

TitusFinn wrote:I'll hang with Quee on Catcher In The Rye. Also....

The Fountainhead
Shogun
Crime and Punishment
Count of Monte Cristo
Hunchback of Notre Dame

Anything by HP Lovecraft

Ender's Game

Enders game is amazing, I also like Enders shadow just as much, although it is much less known. (it's from beans point of view)

Orson Scott Card is a great author

Shadow of a giant is cool too because it concludes the series well.

I feel so childish after that post.
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby hawkeye on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:25 pm

i always feel childish DEAL WITH IT
Cook hawkeye

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:25 am

wind on fire trilogy by william nicholson
"wind singer"
"slaves of the mastery"
"firesong"
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 am

hawkeye wrote:i always feel childish DEAL WITH IT

its probably because you are 11.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Aladriel on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:03 am

qeee1 wrote:...Anyone else hate Dan Brown?

I mean it's not as if the books are particularly bad or anything, they're just another pulpy thrash book, but the reaction created by them pisses me off.

It's not that I hate Dan Brown. I read both Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code. They were fun reads. You know.. kind of like eating dessert instead of a good, healthy meal. What I do hate is how he's got these psuedo-facts that he tries to pull of as the real thing. And that he has to have his wife do his research. Which is probably why he screws them up so much. He doesn't have the context that the facts came from.

Anyway.. my favorite books?

Let's see... The Princess Bride (if you're any fan of the movie, you should read the book. The movie will make WAY more sense then.) Of Mice and Men... poor Lenny.... Ummm.. I was into Mercedes Lackey for awhile, but I got over that. I love historical fiction. Right now I'm reading Salems' Lot and Eragon.
Private Aladriel

Postby Villains on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:19 am

my 2 cents...

One of my favourite books - King Rat by James Clavell.
One of the best read recently - The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks.
One of my favourite RL war/conflict - Black Hawk Down by mark Bowden.
One of my favourite Fantasy - Magician by Raymond E Feist.
One of my favourite Biographies - Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden.
For those who only like the movies...anything by Matthew Reilly reads like a Hollywood blockbuster, totally implausible but an okay read.

& loads others....

*Edit...& of course The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart...as so many of us live & die by the dice here in CC
Sergeant 1st Class Villains

Postby hawkeye on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:57 pm

ERAGON WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cook hawkeye

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,