Conquer Club

Board Analysis Language

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should I make this?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes : 19

Board Analysis Language

Postby weirdbro on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:33 pm

I was thinking of making a greasemonkey script that you could ask things like "countries bordering iceland not owned by Player1", and other thing from set theory, like unions of sets of countries and intersections. For some complicated maps, it could be really useful, but even for simpler maps, a little programming language to analyze the board could be very useful. It probably wouldn't use english, probably just javascript or a simple language, but still, I think it would be useful.
You could save queries and stuff, apply a specific query to whatever country you want, things like that.

What do people think?
Sergeant weirdbro

Postby cicero on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:28 pm

weirdbro

I like it. (I'm a 'yes' voter.)

Another suggested query type:

"show me all territories where blue borders with green"

cicero
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby khazalid on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:32 pm

i dont think youd get much takeup on it
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby weirdbro on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Well, other Greasemonkey scripts could use it, too.
Cicero, that could work. I'll have to write functions to get different sets of countries, with ones to get such sets as:
Every country
All of a player's
All enemies
All with a certain amount of armies
All with more than a certain amount of armies
All with less than a certain amount of armies

Bordering would work a bit differently, since instead of just comparing sets, it would take a set and give back a different set.

But with a proper combination of those sets, you could have it report things like:
All of your enemies pieces which have less than 3 armies and don't border another country owned by your enemies, that happen to border countries of yours with more than 4 armies

It'd just tell you all the countries it'd be easy for you to take, in theory.
I can imagine that being useful, especially on crazy maps like Age of Merchants where with all the ports, its hard to keep track of what you want to know.
Of course, you wouldn't have to write that every time.

Does anyone think I should ask stocksr if I could use his board xml reading and hilighting code?
Sergeant weirdbro

Postby stocksr on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am

weirdbro wrote:Does anyone think I should ask stocksr if I could use his board xml reading and hilighting code?

Personally I think you should shower him with gifts, before humbly requesting that you be allowed to borrow from the awesomeness that is his wonderful code.

;-)
r.
Corporal stocksr

Postby stocksr on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:00 am

Seriously though - help yourself - all I ask for is a credit in the source code.
r.
Corporal stocksr

Return to Tool Archives