Conquer Club

Suggestion - Reserve Slot

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Suggestion - Reserve Slot

Postby Serbia on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:59 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but here goes.

We all from time to time like joining doubles games. Frequently, players are picky about games they want to join, however. Lower ranked players (like myself) sometimes want to play doubles against higher ranked players, both for the challenge and the points oppurtunity. This is difficult however if your teammate isn't on at the same time you are. One way to get around this is to give your mate your password, so they can log in as you and join for you. But, here's my suggestion on it.

When joining a doubles game, have an option to reserve a slot. For example, click "join game". You are then given an option to reserve the next slot (next 2 in triples) for a teammate. If you click yes, you type in the name of the player you wish to reserve the slot for. This player is then notified. Could be done through PM, or perhaps, create a new tab on the My Games section, called Reserved, and you could put a 1 new flag on it, just like the Inbox tab, when you have a new one. The reserved player is then given the option of joining or passing on the game. Put a time limit on it, 24 hours would be fair. If the player passes, or misses the deadline, then the game returns to the main pool, and the player who offered the reservation doesn't get to reserve the spot again, it becomes random.

Anyway, that's my idea, any thoughts on this?
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby AK_iceman on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:03 pm

So what's to stop a premium member from going through the Join A Game page and reserving all the empty spots for people who don't even want them? Then nobody can join those games for 24 hours.

I'd say you should just make private games and have your partner join, then challenge some high rankers to a game.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby Serbia on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:05 am

Yes, I had thought about that too, it would need a creative solution to prevent abuse.

Another idea to prevent that, could be similar to a buddy list, used for premium players, where instead of a 'reserve' slot, the teammate is able to automatically sign you up. Each player is allowed a short list, maybe, of friends who they can sign up without having to notify the other player ahead of time. (work it some way for both players to agree to it). Just a thought. :)
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Forza AZ on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:08 am

AK_iceman wrote:So what's to stop a premium member from going through the Join A Game page and reserving all the empty spots for people who don't even want them? Then nobody can join those games for 24 hours.

I'd say you should just make private games and have your partner join, then challenge some high rankers to a game.

Maybe to get around this you can have a limit on the number of games which you reserve a spot in. Maybe just 3-5 at a time, and you can't reserve other games as long as these games haven't started (or reverted to normal).
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby spinwizard on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 am

I love the idea
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:16 am

Hey im lovin' that idea.
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby Rocketry on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:36 am

I have has this problem and think you have a good idea to resolve it. Forza AZ's idea would also stop the abuse AK mentioned. Hope this gets through and i included! good work.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby RobinJ on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Forza AZ wrote:
AK_iceman wrote:So what's to stop a premium member from going through the Join A Game page and reserving all the empty spots for people who don't even want them? Then nobody can join those games for 24 hours.

Maybe to get around this you can have a limit on the number of games which you reserve a spot in. Maybe just 3-5 at a time, and you can't reserve other games as long as these games haven't started (or reverted to normal).

A better way to do it would be to have a time limit as well - say an hour or so before the game becomes open again. It is a good idea
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby Fogminster on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:23 pm

Serbia wrote:Another idea to prevent that, could be similar to a buddy list, used for premium players, where instead of a 'reserve' slot, the teammate is able to automatically sign you up. Each player is allowed a short list, maybe, of friends who they can sign up without having to notify the other player ahead of time. (work it some way for both players to agree to it). Just a thought. :)

This is the perfect solution I think. I hope it's not too difficult to implement.
Sergeant Fogminster

Postby Caleb the Cruel on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:39 pm

I like it.
Corporal 1st Class Caleb the Cruel

Postby Serbia on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:59 pm

RobinJ wrote:
Forza AZ wrote:

A better way to do it would be to have a time limit as well - say an hour or so before the game becomes open again. It is a good idea

I like Forza's idea too. It would limit the abuse. Unless you were to do the automatic entry, in which case it becomes moot.

The only reason I had suggested a 24 hour time limit RobinJ was if you were to partner up with someone on the opposite side of the world (as I have done before) it becomes less likely that you'll both be online at the same time. 1 hour might not give enough. 24 would, maybe even 12 or 16 could be reasonable.

But again, I think I like the automatic entry idea best, that way there's less chance of abuse, and no waiting period for the second player to ok it or not. Also, you could do a 'completed game' limit, say, 10 games completed, before you have this option available to you. This would hopefully cut down on people intentionally joining games only to deadbeat.
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby luckywar on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:49 am

This idea is one of the best I've heard lately. Everytime a game is "joined" with friends someone else may pop in. It makes joining games hard. Yes, you could only create private games, but you may not know enough people or want them as your opponents in team games. Restrict the number of "reserved slots" and shorten the time limit, 24 hrs is long. If you want someone that you are in contact with in pms, then you probably only need a few hours at most. I hope this goes through.

(and it would aid me in a recent thread I made in callouts where 2 buddies of mine responded that we are all 3 joining triples games as team 2, and it's risky especially after 2 have joined, the 3rd person has to be on top of it or someone else may squeeze in. Hell, even 30 seconds would be helpful)

Also, if you're really afraid of abuse, and just want to test the idea and see if people like it, then only allow 1 reserve max. Then see what the fallout is.
Top Score:2896 5.13.08
Highest Place: 48
Title: Top Terminator (Won LB’s Terminator Tourney)
Major luckywar

Postby Serbia on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Any more thoughts from the mods on this?
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Return to Archived Suggestions