Conquer Club

for all who think they can't make a map

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

for all who think they can't make a map

Postby supermarcol on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Please don't say you don't have art talent or you suck or your map would suck. It is not that hard to make a map. Just take a map as your model, trace it out or just modify it. It doesn't require talent, just to invest a lot of time. You'll end up learning a lot about graphic editing in the process. Submit a first draft, if the idea of the map is good, other user will come to help and suggest ways to improve it. Don't get desperate before even starting, you can do it. I surely don't have any artistic talent. But I ended up making a map that should be available soon. I invite all the people who are making a map to post their first draft. You'll see how much a maps evolves from the begening to the end.

yeesh! That was my first version. Its ugly, but with that started a lot of thinking and work.
Keep working on your ideas!
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby DublinDoogey on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:42 pm

Here's one I've been playin with, not sure if i'll even submit it because I know i would not be able to do the xml... however, if someone would want to help out, I'd prolly work on it at school using photoshop instead of paint.

The colors are bit hard to tell sometimes, for some reason my colors in paint seem to be broken. Black lines over blue water connects, black spraypaint seperates.

I've been outlining all the borders, that's why those in America look darker, eventually the borders between countries will be the same thickness.

The "continent" names and values will go in the Pacific ocean. Florida belongs with the caribean section, but I dunno how definate that is.

Any constructive critism (or praise) would be well appreciated.

P.S. nice idea marcol, for the map and the post
Private DublinDoogey

N. America Map

Postby superman on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:06 pm

too many countries I count 66 (?)

Also the graphics aren't great
Private 1st Class superman

Postby DublinDoogey on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Superman, I'll assume you're refering to my map. I've been working on the graphics, I've downloaded a trial version of Photoshop to play around with.

Also, I've been combining states, provinces, and countries, and completly getting rid of some.

Do you think it's a problem to have over 42 countries? It will be very hard for me to get it that low...

Anyway, thanks, and another version will be coming up in a few days
Private DublinDoogey

Well, it's getting off-topic, but...

Postby thegrimsleeper on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:54 pm

You're going to have to create a new thread for this one if you want to go any farther with it. Having said that, I'll go ahead and give you some input.

First off, people are going to give you a lot of grief about the fact that there's already a map of Canada and one of the USA. I like that you've included Mexico, and Alaska, but there are definitely going to be haters. So the first thing you're going to have to do is come up with a design that is different enough from the other two that you are justified in making it.

First off, I would find a different map to use as your design base. See if you can find one that looks as it would on a globe. This will give you more room to play with the Mexico region, and Alaska won't be 1/6 the size of the entire board.

Speaking of Alaska, remember, it doesn't have to be a realistically political map. You can divide it up if you see fit, and you can certainly group the United States in ways that may not be entirely faithful to what we Americans learn in geography. I really do like the idea of a map that has more than 42 countries (as Marvaddin said, one with 60 means you never have to deal with neutral), but when it comes time to put those little numbers down on the board, alongside the name of the country, you're going to need a little more room.

That's it for now, if I type any more I'm gonna get carpel-tunnel. Sorry if that was a little long-winded, but I feel it's all more or less relevant. Good luck with your map, I'll be interested to see what direction you decide to take it in.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Return to Foundry Discussions