Conquer Club

le tour de France

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

le tour de France

Postby DAZMCFC on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:04 pm

is anybody watching it. i have watched this magnificant race since about 83/84. i have seen many greats on the telly, bernard hinault, laurent hinault,sean roche, greg lamond, miguel indurain (shit hot won it 5 times),barne riise, jan ulhrich(should of won it more than he did, loved the end of the season more than he should and pigged out),marco pantani(he is dead now, drugs i think)and then there is the best ever Lance Amrstrong 7 times winner, he was unbeleivable. don`t get me wrong, i am not 1 of those people that go out in their cycling shorts and p[edal every where. i just love the way they go up the mountains, the way lance use to excellerate was shocking, marco pantani was the same, he was brilliant. watching the sprints near the end, for f*ck sake they don`t give a shit about anybody else, they are all over the show on their bikes and i love it.

1 of the 1st years i watched it Robert Millar of britain(scottish) won the king of the mountains, atm his son Robert has been in the tour for the last 7 years(banned for 2 for drugs) he has won a few prologues and stages.
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Aries on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:11 pm

I might watch it :D
Lieutenant Aries

Postby The1exile on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Isn't it "la"?

who knew GCSE french might teach me something useful...
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby autoload on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:59 pm

If LeMond wasn't shot in a hunting accident and was not taken advantage of the year before he won, 6 consecutive victories was possible.

For sure 5 victories was doable.
Major autoload

Postby Z00T on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:50 am

what 'sport' is there in the tour de france (or any other cycling event) ??
nearly all cyclists have been caught at least 1 time for doping .. armstrong very fortunately (i am very very sorry for being sarcastic here ...) had a cancer on his left testicule which also very fortunately gave the same symptoms in his blood as EPO does ... when ALL cyclists in the mountain courses are soaked to the bones armstrong is dry as a brand new sponge, not 1 single drop of sweat .. if number 2, 3 and 4 are convinced of having used doping, how can number 1 not have ?? superman ??
coluche (a french comic, died in a motorcycle accident) said 30 years ago (!!!); "if they really want to stop people use doping in cycling, the tour de france has to start at christmas to make sure they arrive in paris in july ...."
as in ALL sports involving at 1 moment or another money and specially publicity and sponsors, the money will always prevail over the sport !! the best example are the olympic games; sport players having been convicted for using doping and have been evicted from their sport for 6 months, 1 year or whatever amount of time, are allowed to join the olympics if ever they fall in between the time of their eviction ....
even worse, players having been evicted, were allowed to join international meetings, because without them there was no real 'challenge' and no chance of records being broken, so the public wouldn't show up ...
the tour de france is no longer a sporting event; it has become the challenging ground of international pharmaceuticals, about who is going to find the newest 'undetectable' drug ...
Always look on the bright side of life !!
Major Z00T

Postby chessplaya on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:17 am

no i am not watching it

but i like ZoOTS avatar :lol:
Veni...
Vidi...
Vici...
Captain chessplaya

Postby firth4eva on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:17 am

a horse joined in didnt it
Captain firth4eva

Postby Z00T on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:20 am

Always look on the bright side of life !!
Major Z00T

Postby dwightschrute on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:16 am

Yes I am watching it a little but all Americans are being accused of using drugs.
Festivus for the rest of us.
-Frank Castanza

Cook dwightschrute

Postby DAZMCFC on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:01 am

in the 1st post, i said his son was called robert, but in fact he is called david :oops: . at the time of writing, i had already had a few drinks.

i do agree with autoload about greg lemond, he was told to not challenge for the good of the team. in other words he had to let the team leader win instead of himself.

to exile1, it is Le tour de france.

to Zoot, i have seen the sweat pissing out of armstrong over the years and you can not say all the riders are drugged up to the eyeballs. yes a few have been caught over the years, including david millar for epo. he has servered his ban and is against drugs and there has been a major clamp down with regular testings.
Major DAZMCFC

Postby autoload on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Myself and a Co-Worker usually seem to find ourselves coming up with crazy sports scenarios during Lunch. Here was today's scenario.

A little bit of Background: I'm entering my first Triathlon Aug 11 and bought myself a decent road bike to race in. So all the time I am talking about how much I want to get off work and ride. Also I will crouch down at work and pretend to be on my aero bars and pedal. Some of the non sports people grow tired of this...

Anyways, I am getting caught up in the cycling and my friend asks me what I would do if I was in a Peloton during the Tour and hear that Lance and Floyd are breaking away. He then informs me that Lance and Floyd are on a tandem bicycle. I was caught completely off guard at this and it begun a big debate on whether those two on a tandem would give them an unfair advantage over the rest of the field. I said it would hinder them mainly because of the lack of maneuverability.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of elite athletes competing on a tandem?
Major autoload

Postby eyeofdeath on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:33 pm

I have been watching the tour for the past 3 or 4 years. I love watching it.

Honestly, i believe that there are many many people out there using drugs, but i like to hold out hope that there are some who race honestly.

During the tour, i always pretend that nobody is on drugs and they are all just supermen. It makes it a lot more fun.

Did anybody see yesterdays stage??

The rider from T-mobile, whathisname. That was pretty good.
Captain eyeofdeath

Postby Djengis Khan on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:41 am

Yes - I saw the ride with Linus Gerdemann from T-mobile....But that was nothing comparing to the Danish ride yesterday....

The chicken from "tølløse" is he called here in denmark...(Michael Rasmussen)

Simply Amazing....
Major Djengis Khan

Postby DAZMCFC on Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:28 am

Rasmussen blew them all away. when it gets to the pyrenees, will they be able to keep up. i think it was wrong of team astana to tell Andreas Klodden to go back and help Vinikourov, Klodden seems to be the better rider.
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Djengis Khan on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:32 am

totally agree on you there...finds it very strange...But lets see what will happen today....Maybe he just had a bad day....

But I hope that rasmussen will attack on the last mountain today, and maybe take some more seconds....

Guess he will loose about 4-5 minutes on each of the last two time travels.., so he must have a much bigger lead if he should stay in yellow to paris...

I dont see him as a rider who on one mountain can leave his opponents - he aint good if there is too many accelerations, all that stop and go tactic you often see....His better to the long rides....

So unfortunately I dont think he will be able to do much in the pyrenees, but realy hoping...

ps. - sorry for my gramma - it really sucks...
Major Djengis Khan

Postby DAZMCFC on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:42 am

don`t worry about that, it is better than any language i can muster up(especially danish). you are right about the time trials though he will lose time but that is expected. :lol:
Major DAZMCFC

Postby eyeofdeath on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Well after stage 9, it looks like Kloden is the man for astana....

I'm holding out hope for Leipheimer.....being american and all.

If an american wins the tour yet again, im sure the french will "find" some drugs..
Captain eyeofdeath

Postby Djengis Khan on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:04 am

Guess your right about that eye...:-).

I agree that klöden is the one Astana must drive for now. Actually I still think he has a chance to win the race. But we will be much wiser after the time trials...

viva le poulet....
Major Djengis Khan

Postby DAZMCFC on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:41 am

i am on 2-10 shift this week so i only see an hours worth of highlights at about midnight here in britain. Alberto Contadors excellaration up the mountain to leave Ramussen and the others with him for dead was quite scary. it was like he was on a flat part of the road. Cadel Evans tried to keep up was lost though. they caught him up later with popevych, but amzing change of pace. :lol:
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Djengis Khan on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:52 pm

yep - it was pretty wild...he (contador) looks very good, but not sure how he manage the time trial. Valverde also looks strong this year. Actually its extremely open. Everybody can win.

I see the stages live every day at work, and the finishes at home. - just perfect. Glad I dont live in Germany now :-)...Have heard the ZDF and ARD have decided not to show more of the tour this year, because of what happend to T-Mobiles Patrick Sinkewitz....

Looks forward to the pyrenees now...
Major Djengis Khan

Postby heavycola on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:18 pm

The dude who rode into a dog

Also, i don't give a shit about the drugs anymore. If you have to ride your ass off around the Alps fer chrissakes for six or seven hours a day for three weeks, go for it. Take all the steroids you want, and best of luck to you.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby Risktaker17 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:42 pm

I love the tour. I'm a discovery channel team fan. I want Leipheimer to win. I want an American Discovery channel rider to win.
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:01 am

contador is supposed to be pretty good at the time trial they say on ITV.

you had to feel sorry for big Jens Voigt yesterday, done most of the hard work, but had to lead it out. well rode Cederic Vassuer though in his 10th tour with Voigt, that is some going that.
Major DAZMCFC

Postby chessplaya on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:21 am

what caught ur attention daz??/

or is it u like that race?!
Veni...
Vidi...
Vici...
Captain chessplaya

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:36 am

don`t get me wrong i`m not one of them loonies that has all the gear and spends hundreds anhundreds of ponds on a bike(i don`t even have one). i just love the racing, up the mountains see who cracks and then the sprints at the end of a flat stage they are just explosive. quite a few years ago (i think in paris), on the final sprint a policeman was stood out abit. a racer crashed right into him and killed him it was an horrific crash and just goes to show how fast they are going.
Major DAZMCFC

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,