Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 am

Age of Realms - Trilogy

after talking with gimil and helping him on his feudal wars map we decided to take it to the next level and create a trilogy. in this thread you'll find the first chapter.

Poll Result
Do you like the idea?
Yes 79% [ 79 ]
No 21% [ 21 ]

Total Votes : 100

Age of Realms - Chapter 1: Age of Might

Background Story
In a place of fantasy in a time of uncertainty 6 nobles fight for supremacy. like true leaders they must not only prove their strength in battle but also their wisdom in ruling their kingdom. without the support of peasant villages and the income from trading resources even the most skillful warrior is worthless.
so annex villages and supply them with goods and you shall be the next king. remember a leader without followers is nothing.

Gameplay
there are no continents. the bonuses are as follows:
+5 castle
+1 castle + any village
+1 village + resource pair
+2 castle + resource pair

*probably +1 for the temple
*probably altered troop revenue for number of terits. i'm thinking 1 troop for every 6 terits.

Number of territories
not yet defined. i have made the terits only in the lower island and if i make them the same there will be around 130-150 total terits. i want to get some feedback first to see if that number is ok.
edit// 134 terits.

Miscellaneous comments
all 3 chapters will take place on the same map. but with heavy modifications. all the maps will be linked not only by the story but also by graphic elements. for example you see a temple on the smallest island. that temple does not yet have a role in chapter 1 but it will be very important in chapter 2.

V25 Small
V25 Large
V24 large
V24 small
V23 Small
V23 Large
V22- large
V22- small
V21
V20
V19
V17
V15
V14
V13
V11
V10
V9
V8
V7
V6
V5
V4
V3
V2
V1
Last edited by DiM on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 am, edited 40 times in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Teya on Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 am

Why is it so big?
Keyogi told you 800x800 was the max for your 300 territory map, but this is 1000x1000.
its almost as if you go out of your way to ignore him.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Gnome on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:47 am

it's a square...to make 800x800 out of 1000x1000 isnt a big deal...I like the map... :)
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:48 am

Teya wrote:Why is it so big?
Keyogi told you 800x800 was the max for your 300 territory map, but this is 1000x1000.
its almost as if you go out of your way to ignore him.

map size suffers modification throughout the foundry process. i just like working with big images. in fact when i started this map it was 4000*4000 px wich led to some rather curious problems with text :lol: ask gimil.
anyway size is not final it will be made smaller.

i'd appreciate feedback on gameplay and gfx rather than size :wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:51 am

Gnome wrote:it's a square...to make 800x800 out of 1000x1000 isnt a big deal...I like the map... :)

true. however, size will be dealt with at a later stage
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:54 am

DiM has a bevel fettish :roll:

m not happy with teh rivers the kinda look like an after thought. i also decided i dont like the peirs. i dont know it might just be the BEVEL that makes them unattractive
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:53 am

gimil wrote:DiM has a bevel fettish :roll:

m not happy with teh rivers the kinda look like an after thought. i also decided i dont like the peirs. i dont know it might just be the BEVEL that makes them unattractive

i already told you i'm a bevel whore :lol:

bevel and freehand brush =P~

anyway. what exactly don't you like about the rivers?

as for the pairs (which btw need a name because resource pairs isn't good) what do you want them to look like? if i take out the bevel they look too simple :?
Major DiM

Postby Pain Killer on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:01 am

i love the style but is doesn't really help in a good observation of the elements of the map ( a.k.a. the pairs, the countrys)

but dont mind me continue with it, i'm a bit critical in this moment :lol:
Lieutenant Pain Killer

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:07 am

Pain Killer wrote:i love the style but is doesn't really help in a good observation of the elements of the map ( a.k.a. the pairs, the countrys)

but dont mind me continue with it, i'm a bit critical in this moment :lol:

the pairs are very problematic. i have tried giving several elements for easy recognition.

1st i made the icons in the legend to include a bit of the surrounding land. for example look at the fishery icon. it also has a bit of sea or the mine has a bit of mountain.
2nd i have added color for easy recognition. look at the gold mine and the coin mint. they both have yellow. or the market and fishery that have blue, corn and mill have green, etc.
3rd. positioning. usually the elements in a pair are positioned rather close. to eachother.

as for the countries, what do you mean they are hard to see. i only have borders at the bottom. are those hard to see?
Major DiM

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:39 am

DiM wrote:

as for the pairs (which btw need a name because resource pairs isn't good) what do you want them to look like? if i take out the bevel they look too simple :?

I don't know about gimil, but to me it looks like the rivers are too perfectly erasered from the land, if you can see what I mean. The land needs to sink down into the river, maybe something like this (but with grass and water effects added):

Since you don't use Photoshop (right?), I'm not sure how you'd do this, but maybe you could make it work.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:47 am

pepperonibread wrote:
DiM wrote:

I don't know about gimil, but to me it looks like the rivers are too perfectly erasered from the land, if you can see what I mean. The land needs to sink down into the river, maybe something like this (but with grass and water effects added):

Since you don't use Photoshop (right?), I'm not sure how you'd do this, but maybe you could make it work.

ok i understand what you mean. i'll go look now what i can do.

PS: this is my first project in photoshop cs3. until now i've been using fireworks. but in the last few days i started learning PS and i like it.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:13 am

i have made the level more protrusive in the land and also modified the legend to include passable impassable and the connecting docks.

Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 am

its a cool idea, but what is happening to gimil's map?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am

Kaplowitz wrote:its a cool idea, but what is happening to gimil's map?

it's still happening he's working on an update right now.
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:46 am

So is his map part of your trilogy?

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:14 am

Kaplowitz wrote:So is his map part of your trilogy?

nope. this is a standalone trilogy that has nothing to do with gimil's feudal wars.

PS: i might have to change the title for the trilogy because it seems to cause confusion.
Major DiM

idea

Postby owenshooter on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:36 pm

DiM, why don't you name one of the docks after me? that would truly make this map KICK ASS and the best map on the site. it would dust age of merchants, trust me!-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:19 pm

My is going through a revamp at the moment. It will be titled feudal was classic.

There maps will have a background story and will develop on the game play of the original idea i developed. Once these two are done me and DiM will work one of the other 2 in the trilogy each.

back on topic. the rivers look MUCH better. to elimate the bevel whoring, use drop shadowing and inner shadowing to create light effects toped up with some dodge and burn.

Get your lights point of origin and work from there

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:51 pm

looks like a part of runescape.
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Pain Killer on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:52 pm

DiM wrote:as for the countries, what do you mean they are hard to see. i only have borders at the bottom. are those hard to see?

yes, thats do to the hill's effect
Lieutenant Pain Killer

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:27 pm

DiM wrote:

nope. this is a standalone trilogy that has nothing to do with gimil's feudal wars.

PS: i might have to change the title for the trilogy because it seems to cause confusion.

Why dont you call it "Castle Wars" or something or "Reign Of Kings"

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
DiM wrote:

because that boring and lame. federal give it a good feel

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby AfroDwarf on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:30 pm

gimil wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
DiM wrote:

because that boring and lame. federal give it a good feel

So call yours Federal Wars and his Feudal Wars, that will eliminate any possibility of confusion, right? :wink:
Lieutenant AfroDwarf

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:31 pm

feudal war - classic

feudal war - The beginning

How can you have confusion?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby AfroDwarf on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:35 pm

gimil wrote:because that boring and lame. federal give it a good feel

sorry, guess I didn't make it clear enough :)
Lieutenant AfroDwarf

Next

Return to The Atlas