Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Re: idea

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:47 am

owenshooter wrote:DiM, why don't you name one of the docks after me? that would truly make this map KICK ASS and the best map on the site. it would dust age of merchants, trust me!-0

sure, why not? and i'll also make Andy's hill, keyogi's castle, vace cooper river and lackattack mountain :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:48 am

gimil wrote:My is going through a revamp at the moment. It will be titled feudal was classic.

There maps will have a background story and will develop on the game play of the original idea i developed. Once these two are done me and DiM will work one of the other 2 in the trilogy each.

back on topic. the rivers look MUCH better. to elimate the bevel whoring, use drop shadowing and inner shadowing to create light effects toped up with some dodge and burn.

Get your lights point of origin and work from there

all the lighting in the map has the same source.
i'll tinker with dodge and burn.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:49 am

Unit_2 wrote:looks like a part of runescape.

is that good or bad? never played runescape :roll:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:50 am

Pain Killer wrote:
DiM wrote:as for the countries, what do you mean they are hard to see. i only have borders at the bottom. are those hard to see?

yes, thats do to the hill's effect

ok got it. the main reason i made them like this is because i don't want the borders to be so eye catching and spoil the landscape. but i'll see what i can do to make them more visible.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:53 am

AfroDwarf wrote:
gimil wrote:because that boring and lame. federal give it a good feel

sorry, guess I didn't make it clear enough :)

in time you'll learn that gimil writes all kinds of nonsense. if he says federal he means feudal. if he writes feudral he means feudal, heck if he writes fergrohlingdal he also means feudal. :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:56 am

i need feedback for the following things.

1. number of terits. as i said in the current state the map would have 130-150 terits. is that ok? do you want less?
2. gameplay i have explained the bonuses in the first post. are they ok?
3. graphics anything.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:56 am

as for the name of the series i'll have a chat with gimil and we'll decide.
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:51 am

right here we go:

Mountains are a too dark green,
The islands at the delta of the river need to be rounded of a bit.
The small islands around the map need to be made to look like they are not just cut out of the land.
your stonehenge should give a bonus, and there should be some rocks lying on the top of the other ones
do you just start with a castle in this version?
Try adding different types of terrain to the map, it covers a large area, judging by the size of the castles, so add some beaches, add some desert, some snow maybe.
add some darker patches of water where it gets deeper, better than that add a bumpmap to the map
add some houses round the castles, there are always a few people living near the castle
the docks, dont look like they are made out of wood, draw them in brown then dodge and bun to make it look like planks
your bottom left castle looks like you have just draw walls on, it looks like there are trees growing inside the castle.
fields of crop should be grown in the territory next to villages, because no one would grow crops and 5 hour walk away
bridges, same as docks
your land is too much of a uniform hight above the see, try adding cliffs to make the land seem higher above the water.
your territories on the bottom island are far to complected, try to simplify them a bit.

That is all from me for now,

But i will be back
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 am

Telvannia wrote:right here we go:

Mountains are a too dark green,

will make a lighter shade

The islands at the delta of the river need to be rounded of a bit.

will round

The small islands around the map need to be made to look like they are not just cut out of the land.

will do

your stonehenge should give a bonus, and there should be some rocks lying on the top of the other ones

as i said i'm already thinking of giving it a bonus. something symbolic though. as for the rocks, i'm not sure. remember that it is a "new" stonehenge not an old decripit stonehenge so all the rocks should be in the right place nothing fell apart.

do you just start with a castle in this version?

i'm still pondering on the starting point. one thing i know for sure is that this will be a mission type map. like the 2 other chapters there will be a story and a mission.

Try adding different types of terrain to the map, it covers a large area, judging by the size of the castles, so add some beaches, add some desert, some snow maybe.

i have snow in the mountains. beaches will be added (if i manage to make them look good) as for deserts no. the area even though is large is not that large to cover such a vast geographic area. imagine modern france. with a few castles here and there some villages forests and mountains but no deserts.

add some darker patches of water where it gets deeper, better than that add a bumpmap to the map

you mean in the sea? but i do have darker parts as well as lighter ones. as for the bumpmap, how do i do that?

add some houses round the castles, there are always a few people living near the castle

yes i know but the castles are a terit and it's walls define it's borders. if i add some houses around then the castles terit is no longer clearly defined.

the docks, dont look like they are made out of wood, draw them in brown then dodge and bun to make it look like planks

will do

your bottom left castle looks like you have just draw walls on, it looks like there are trees growing inside the castle.

yep there are trees inside it's court? is that disturbing? they can be removed easily but i don't see the problem.

fields of crop should be grown in the territory next to villages, because no one would grow crops and 5 hour walk away

i know and have thought about it but for gameplay reasons i can't put the crops near villages. this is a case when reality must be bent a little. like the ports on any map that connect only to ports. realistically speaking if you have a boat then you can go to any beach not just to another port. but again gameplay is more important. or the helicopters in Kotm. a helicopter can fly and attack anywhere not just helipads or mountain tops.

bridges, same as docks

will do.

your land is too much of a uniform hight above the see, try adding cliffs to make the land seem higher above the water.

cliifs and beaches will be added.

your territories on the bottom island are far to complected, try to simplify them a bit.

simplify them as in make the borders less wavy?

That is all from me for now,

But i will be back

i hope you will.

i'll do all the modifications tomorrow because i'm leaving for work now.
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:46 pm

*gets a headache*
DiM why do all your maps have to be so confusing!@!!!!!!!!!!!
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:08 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:*gets a headache*

they aren't confusing. just different. :wink:
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:05 am

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:add some darker patches of water where it gets deeper, better than that add a bumpmap to the map

you mean in the sea? but i do have darker parts as well as lighter ones. as for the bumpmap, how do i do that?

I can tell you how to bumpmap on gimp, not on photoshop, though im sure there a way, i will describe how they work then you see what you can find, It is a greyscale images, showing the hight of something, fore example for a mountain you would have a white dot for the peak then have the white blending back into the black to make it seem to have smooth sides.
So in a bumpmap you have pure white as the highest part of the land, and black as the lowest, and the greys in between are the different elevation in between.
In gimp you make your bumpmap then choose filters---->map--->bumpmap
Then choose your settings and it works out the lighting ect for you.

DiM wrote:

simplify them as in make the borders less wavy?

yeah, right now you seem to have made them as complected as possible :P
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby hulmey on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:27 am

Looks good - i cant see a problem with having a big map. I actually kind of like them!!!!

Whats the problem with having a bigger map. I remember Mibi's was huge and nobody said anything!!?!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Coleman on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:37 am

They want maps to be able to display for all users in a way that the entire map can be seen at all times without scrolling all over.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:56 am

DiM wrote:

No confusing. I still don't understand age of merchants and that is with the bob greasemonkehy.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
DiM wrote:

No confusing. I still don't understand age of merchants and that is with the bob greasemonkehy.

simple minds should stick to classic :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby hulmey on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:34 am

Maybe the map makers could start displaying warnings ; "if you're simple do not try this map"
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:22 am

WARNING: The following content is not for the simple minded. All those who play feudal war do so at their own risk.

Player may experience strokes, dumbness and even death

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 am

gimil wrote:WARNING: The following content is not for the simple minded. All those who play feudal war do so at their own risk.

:( I am sooo screwed
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Coleman on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 am

gimil wrote:WARNING: The following content is not for the simple minded. All those who play feudal war do so at their own risk.

Other possible side effects include, but are not limited to, self induced vomiting, lethargy, dizziness, memory loss & brain fog, tremors, shakes, nausea, hair loss, loss of appetite, suicidal tendencies, a strange desire to make homemade beer, abnormal nose growth, and a new appreciation for Nine Inch Nails music.

I think I'll like this map, but we need to see more of how the territories are going to be divided and territory names.

Also, you really should remove Trilogy from the title.
Last edited by Coleman on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:13 am

DiM concentrate and ill include the terrs the next time were both online.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 am

thanks telvannia for the tips on bumpmapping. i'll see what to do.

unfortunatelly i have no time today as i had a dentist appointment and now i'm leaving for work. i'll do all the modifs tomorrow.

and i'll think on the terit layout

i hate teeth problems :cry:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm

gimil wrote:DiM concentrate and ill include the terrs the next time were both online.

:roll:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 pm

gimil wrote:
gimil wrote:DiM concentrate and ill include the terrs the next time were both online.

:roll:

sure. i'll pm you later today when i come back from the dentist. that should be somewhere around 14 your time.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:10 am

latest update.

*lighter shade of green on the mountains
*rounded delta
*rounded small islands
*made wood like docks
*made wood like bridges
*various shadings on the land.
*modified title

still to do:
*cliffs and beaches (i tried but could not get a satisfactory result)
*bumpmap (i don't know if PS has such a thing. i could not find it)
*terit borders. i have to get gimil online so we can talk about the borders.

Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas