Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Postby hulmey on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 am

very nice map DIM....What is the platic green thing in the middle? Im Presuming they are Mountains!! But they dont really fit in with the overall feel of the map!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:41 am

hulmey wrote:very nice map DIM....What is the platic green thing in the middle? Im Presuming they are Mountains!! But they dont really fit in with the overall feel of the map!

what exactly makes them not fit? the size, the colour, the bevel, the outline?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am

your need to blur the mountains in more, they do stand out too much.
make the colours seem to blur together where they reach the ground.

here is a bumpmaped map.
(this bumpmap is not done in a exact way, the hills ect are completely random.

if photoshop does not give you the option of bumpmaps, make a bumpmap and send it and the layer without the buildings and docks to me, and i will combine them to make a shaded version if you really want.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:40 pm

looks really nice. and no i don't have bump map in PS :(

do you need the layer with just the land? or should it also have trees and the mountain on it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:44 pm

DiM wrote:looks really nice. and no i don't have bump map in PS :(

do you need the layer with just the land? or should it also have trees and the mountain on it.

does not really matter.
(you could send me the sea if you want, and i could make that textured slightly.

draw a bumpmap, make the hills white and your valleys black.
If you want it to be completely random, i can do it for you.

Postby Coleman on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:12 pm

Careful guys, talking about map graphics is considered off topic now. Can only improve those via pm. [-X
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Coleman wrote:Careful guys, talking about map graphics is considered off topic now. Can only improve those via pm. [-X

yep discussion is already in pm :)
Major DiM

Postby hulmey on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:24 pm

lol - coleman
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:41 pm

here's another update. i added beaches and telvannia helped me with the bumpmap. i think the landscape looks much better now. thanks mate.

i still need to add terit borders. where's gimil when you need him? :?

Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:12 pm

I dont like the title, its too similar to Age of Merchants.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby hulmey on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:37 pm

you still didnt dot he mountains - they really do look bad. Also the things that are sticking out of the lands into the sea. They dont quite look right either.

They look like they have just been stuck on.

Good job though so far. THis could graphically becopme one of my favourite maps
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby AfroDwarf on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 pm

my two problems with it so far are:
I assume the mountain range is supposed to look like it has a treeline, hence the green to black. But it currently just looks like the mountains are made of jade or kryptonite. I think the problem is the scale, elsewhere on the map you've drawn what look like individual trees, or small copses, but on the slopes the trees are just the same texture as the peaks, colored green.
I still have trouble with the buildings, I know it wouldn't be as realistic but you might consider making them more extreme colors, right now they're all more or less brown, so for me they just blend in with the brown dirt and villages.
Lieutenant AfroDwarf

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:29 am

Kaplowitz wrote:I dont like the title, its too similar to Age of Merchants.

i see your point but it has nothing to do with AoM
plus this is the name of the first chapter. the other chapters will have other names to represent what's going on in each bit of the story.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:32 am

hulmey wrote:you still didnt dot he mountains - they really do look bad. Also the things that are sticking out of the lands into the sea. They dont quite look right either.

They look like they have just been stuck on.

Good job though so far. THis could graphically becopme one of my favourite maps

ok, i'll work again on the mountains to blend them better. as for the small islands i've made them look more realistic and blended them better. what exactly is wrong with them. i'm willing to change but i need to know what.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:34 am

AfroDwarf wrote:my two problems with it so far are:
I assume the mountain range is supposed to look like it has a treeline, hence the green to black. But it currently just looks like the mountains are made of jade or kryptonite. I think the problem is the scale, elsewhere on the map you've drawn what look like individual trees, or small copses, but on the slopes the trees are just the same texture as the peaks, colored green.
I still have trouble with the buildings, I know it wouldn't be as realistic but you might consider making them more extreme colors, right now they're all more or less brown, so for me they just blend in with the brown dirt and villages.

the mountains will be tweaked to blend better and i'll try to get rid of the kryptonite feeling. if i can't then i'll add a superman cave somewhere and give it a bonus. :)

as for the houses. i'm trying to keep the whole image as realistic as possible. color can be changed easily but i don't think peasants had red and blue houses :wink:
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:52 am

DiM wrote:

the mountains will be tweaked to blend better and i'll try to get rid of the kryptonite feeling. if i can't then i'll add a superman cave somewhere and give it a bonus. :)

as for the houses. i'm trying to keep the whole image as realistic as possible. color can be changed easily but i don't think peasants had red and blue houses :wink:

red tiles on the roofs
black slates
green turf
yellow thatch

add a few multicoloured houses

Postby Coleman on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:28 am

DiM wrote:

plus this is the name of the first chapter. the other chapters will have other names to represent what's going on in each bit of the story.

I don't see his point, I think all DiM maps should be Age of ----------.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:51 am

Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:

red tiles on the roofs
black slates
green turf
yellow thatch

add a few multicoloured houses

i'll see what i can do. but they are so small that some of the details might not be visible :(
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:55 am

Coleman wrote:
DiM wrote:

I don't see his point, I think all DiM maps should be Age of ----------.

yeah. just browsing through my map ideas catalogue i can see some great names

Age of Puppets
Age of Freaks
Age of Sisyphus
Age of Absurdity

:lol:
Major DiM

Postby Kinetic1 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:14 pm

.....Age of Your Mom

no really,i like all of it the way it is..keep it going :lol:
Private 1st Class Kinetic1

Location: "Sometimes, common sense is the only weapon that's needed against a stronger opponent."

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:57 am

DiM dont worry im here ;)

im working on teh boarders as we speak
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:19 am

Here the boarders i inserted:

The image is so small because its over the 1MB image size im allow in photobucket

heres the transparent image:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gnome on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:06 am

I like it :wink:
the borders seems fine...
But I agree to the ones that think the mountains should change...
If you look to the castle north from the mountain, it's as big as the mountains itself...I like the texture of the mountains, maybe making them look less higher like removing the snow on top of it would make them more realistic in this landscape...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Coleman on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:54 am

That is beyond awesome.

To the person above me, I've seen mountains and I've seen castles. Mountains dwarf the @#*& out of castles. I disagree with making the mountains less pronounced.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:07 am

The montains still look out. perhaps if there was less montains and make them look bigger would possible be a start.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas