Conquer Club

XML Tweaks & Volunteers

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

XML Tweaks & Volunteers

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:25 pm

XML Tweaks & Volunteers

After some deep thought and discussion it has been decided that there are going to be some changes to the XML code that will affect existing maps and maps in production. This change involves replacing the <country> tag with a <territory> tag. The <country> tag no longer holds its meaning with the increase in abstract maps.

<country> to <territory>

It is requested that each active member with maps in development or on the site make this change themselves. For some of the older maps, we will need some volunteers to go through these and make them up to date. The following post is a list of all the maps and their XML status. If you wish to help, download one of the mapXMLs not assigned to a cartographer, update the XML and post a link to the file in this thread.

Updating the tag will be relatively simple. Follow the following steps for using your text editor of choice (i.e. Notepad):
    1. Open XML file in text editor
    2. Use the Find and Replace feature (often under the Edit menu) to replace the word country with territory.
    3. Make sure not to include the < and > symbols, otherwise you may not replace the end tags that look like </country>
    4. Once the XML has been updated, host the file on an appropriate site and provide the link in this thread.

Job done!

Seeking Volunteer XML Checkers

While any form of beta testing maps for errors isn't on the table at the moment, we are looking for some volunteers to come forward and look over XML files that have been posted for maps in Final Forge. This is strictly an unofficial role, and would just involve individuals checking XML files for errors in any of the maps they wish. There are no expectations or requirements. Simply PM me to let me know that you're on the team and then start checking in your own time. A big thanks to those that step forward and freely offer their time.

Live bug squishing!

While, we're hoping that Volunteer XML Checkers will help rid maps of any bugs, these things are never 100% foolproof. As a result, from now on Lack is going to make an effort to be around andonline for a few hours after maps have been made available for live play. This way, any map related problems can try and be resolved as quickly as possible.
Last edited by KEYOGI on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 pm

XML Update Status

Thanks to Jota, they've all been done.
Last edited by KEYOGI on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:28 pm

Addendum

And to add to Keyogi's announcements above, I would also like to mention that Keyogi will start to take on a few more roles in the Foundry. He will continue his current jobs: REVAMPS, Poll Removal, Map Ideas Clean Up, Suggestions and Advice, and General Crowd Control--but two new jobs will be added in the next few weeks and months. Soon Keyogi will also be able to Final Forge maps that have met the requirements. And further on he will also be able to Quench maps, again, that have met the requirements. Hopefully this will allow the Foundry to run even smoother and allow us to keep up with the staggering, but wonderful pace!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 pm

Postby edbeard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 pm

well I guess I looked at the forum at the right time.

I was about to work on my SA map and saw this. I thought my evening was ruined, but it took me literally 20 seconds with the replace function.

Caribbean Islands

btw for others making these fixes, the Test XML tool on the mapmaker page still looks for country, so you should get 1 more error than you have territories.

EG: Caribbean Islands has 42 territories and I got 43 errors. 1 per territory and 1 for not having any country entries.

I'm sure Lack will fix that when has free time, but it still can be used to find out if your XML is written properly. It's just in a roundabout sort of way.
Lieutenant edbeard

Re: XML Tweaks & Volunteers

Postby Jota on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Why not just fix all the XML at once?

http://grunk.org/risk/xml-fixed.zip
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:43 pm

LOL, well that took care of that. Thanks Jota!

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:12 am

Was thinking that this is fairly easy...

Of course the only problem would've been if anyone had the word "country" in their names...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 am

Jota wrote:Why not just fix all the XML at once?

Jota...i tried to open your xml-fixed.zip file and it has a corruption. :cry:
Can you check this please. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:47 am

Worked for me. :?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:37 am

KEYOGI wrote:Worked for me. :?
\
Pleased for you Keyogi....can you tell me if that zip file includes Cairns Coral Coast and Battle for Australia, and have they been updated? Thanks
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:45 am

Yes, Jota's updated the XML of every map already up for live play... including both your maps.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 am

KEYOGI wrote:Yes, Jota's updated the XML of every map already up for live play... including both your maps.

Champion Jota...thanks.

And thanks for that info Keyogi. Don't know yet what is happening with my zip facility. :) I'll get onto the others.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:50 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Addendum
And to add to Keyogi's announcements above, I would also like to mention that Keyogi will start to take on a few more roles in the Foundry. He will continue his current jobs: REVAMPS, Poll Removal, Map Ideas Clean Up, Suggestions and Advice, and General Crowd Control--but two new jobs will be added in the next few weeks and months. Soon Keyogi will also be able to Final Forge maps that have met the requirements. And further on he will also be able to Quench maps, again, that have met the requirements. Hopefully this will allow the Foundry to run even smoother and allow us to keep up with the staggering, but wonderful pace!
--Andy

Congratulations Keyogi....does this mean the Foundary now runs on Keyogi (Australian) time instead of Andy time.
Also does this mean the pace of Quenching will increase in the foundary?
I hope so! :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:43 am

i was so happy when i saw this thread. i thought new features are going to be implemented :roll:

btw thanks jota.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:49 am

Jota wrote:Why not just fix all the XML at once?

Jota...can i ask are you going to make this correction to the XML army tool checker that enables us to see where the armies are centred by changing the country to territory on that tool?, please. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Jota on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:Jota...can i ask are you going to make this correction to the XML army tool checker that enables us to see where the armies are centred by changing the country to territory on that tool?, please. :)

Well... alright. But this is strictly temporary! I'm taking it down when lack fixes the official version (which should be a simple matter of changing any quoted string that contains a form of "country" or "countries"). And I don't know how my script will handle those fancy new XML features that lack added. It might not accept them at all, since it's based on the original XML checker written over a year ago.

http://grunk.org/risk/xml-test.php
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54 am

Jota wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Jota...can i ask are you going to make this correction to the XML army tool checker that enables us to see where the armies are centred by changing the country to territory on that tool?, please. :)

Well... alright. But this is strictly temporary! I'm taking it down when lack fixes the official version (which should be a simple matter of changing any quoted string that contains a form of "country" or "countries"). And I don't know how my script will handle those fancy new XML features that lack added. It might not accept them at all, since it's based on the original XML checker written over a year ago.

http://grunk.org/risk/xml-test.php

Champion Jota....thanks. =D>
Private cairnswk

Return to Foundry Discussions