Conquer Club

Egypt: Valley Of The Kings [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Sparqs on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:07 am

I've been too busy the past month to keep up with the Forum, so I was happily surprised to see this map appear in the Game Finder.

I think it looks great! I really like the way the regions got named after actual "explorers," though Carter is the only one I recognize. As much as I like that change, I think it left the legend and names a little confusing, in terms of letters that are no longer labeled on the map. I expect color blind people might have particular difficulty. I figured out which Amente to pick from the list, but it could be clearer. Same faint region-letter labels on the map would help.

As for changing "Kings with Scarabs" to "Tombs with Scarabs," I think it is probably clear the way it is, but change it if you like.

I'm just starting my first game so I don't know how it plays, but the artwork is excellent!
Sergeant Sparqs

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 am

Sparqs wrote:As for changing "Kings with Scarabs" to "Tombs with Scarabs," I think it is probably clear the way it is, but change it if you like.

I'm just starting my first game so I don't know how it plays, but the artwork is excellent!

Hi Sparqs....thanks for posting...i was thinking to change Tombs to Kings in the:
Underworld = Tombs + Explorer(s) + Amente
to
Underworld = Kings + Explorer(s) + Amente
...this was the thing that really didn't gel in the legend because the instruction besides it says Kings with Scarabs...and the title says Valley of the Kings.

Also...apreciate what you say about the region lettering not being exactly clear now that explorers names used instead of robber a etc.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:26 pm

First off let me say its a wonderful map, at first it looked like it would be hard to get the bonuses and that they were too low, but after playing part of my game out, I realised it wasn't as hard as I thought. The one way attacks also add a very good dynamic to the gameplay. In my opinion, this one is better then your other two maps combined (I really hate those 18 neutrals :lol: )

(edit) I was surprised to see this map because somehow i managed to miss most of its development. It was a nice surprise :D
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby Purposeful1 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 pm

fun map :) definitely adds a different twist with the one-ways; i was caught off-guard by those in the beginning and ended up accidentally fortifying all my armies to a place where i didn't want them, but overall a cool map :)

Major Purposeful1

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:33 pm

looks good I would definetly want to play it a bit semetricle but I still think it's good
Colonel tim02

Postby Coleman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm

I'd have to say I didn't follow this much, I found it uncomfortable at the start. I'm playing on it right now, and while I haven't completed a game this looks to be one of the greatest maps I think we've ever had. It really seems to lend itself to my style of play, especially with 6 players.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 am

tim02 wrote:looks good I would definetly want to play it a bit semetricle but I still think it's good

Oh tim02....thanks...you mean symmetrical...yes it is a bit that way but everyone gete mostly the same opportunity with this. Hope you enjoy!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:54 am

Bad Speler wrote:First off let me say its a wonderful map, at first it looked like it would be hard to get the bonuses and that they were too low, but after playing part of my game out, I realised it wasn't as hard as I thought. The one way attacks also add a very good dynamic to the gameplay. In my opinion, this one is better then your other two maps combined (I really hate those 18 neutrals :lol: )

(edit) I was surprised to see this map because somehow i managed to miss most of its development. It was a nice surprise :D

Wonderful....Bad Speler...thanks for the comments, and I think there will be something happening on the 18 neutrals soon. Keep watch!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:57 am

Purposeful1 wrote:fun map :) definitely adds a different twist with the one-ways; i was caught off-guard by those in the beginning and ended up accidentally fortifying all my armies to a place where i didn't want them, but overall a cool map :)

I hope it has purposefulness in your play, thanks for the comments. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:00 am

Coleman wrote:I'd have to say I didn't follow this much, I found it uncomfortable at the start. I'm playing on it right now, and while I haven't completed a game this looks to be one of the greatest maps I think we've ever had. It really seems to lend itself to my style of play, especially with 6 players.

Yes, even I found it uncomfortable at the start Coleman and I learnt a great lesson from this map....have the concept ready to start before you make the map. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, and thanks for the post. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby fireedud on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 am

Congratz!
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:01 am

fireedud wrote:Congratz!
Thanks fireedud...have you played the map yet?
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Cairns, I really gotta hand it to you on this one. At first, I thought "Wow...this is really confusing...", mainly because of the legend. Now, it's one of my favorites, and my favorite 2 player map. Go have fun for a job well done! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:53 pm

Gilligan wrote:Cairns, I really gotta hand it to you on this one. At first, I thought "Wow...this is really confusing...", mainly because of the legend. Now, it's one of my favorites, and my favorite 2 player map. Go have fun for a job well done! =D> =D> =D> =D>

Wow...that's excellent feedback Gilligan...thanx! :D
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:53 am

I loved my first game, I was mostly confined to the smalest of the tomb regions, and heck I beated the other 2 out of it in 3 swift rounds.

Linky
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby nagerous on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:48 am

This map plays like a charm, your best quenched map yet :)
Captain nagerous

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:21 am

nagerous wrote:This map plays like a charm, your best quenched map yet :)

nagerous....glad to hear you are pleased. :)
I hope i can produce some more for you all.
Private cairnswk

Postby t.e.c on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:01 am

i've got to say that i didn't like this map at first, as i didn't really understand the bonus system but now i've got the hang of it and it's great =D>
Corporal t.e.c

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:11 am

t.e.c wrote:i've got to say that i didn't like this map at first, as i didn't really understand the bonus system but now i've got the hang of it and it's great =D>

comments much appreciated t.e.c. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Gammafighter on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Let my people go.
Corporal Gammafighter

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:40 pm

Gammafighter wrote:Let my people go.

yes there is probably a little twist of that in there Gammafighter, thanks for your post. :)
Private cairnswk

Previous

Return to The Atlas