Conquer Club

Middle America Map {Advanced Draft} ~ NEW UPDATE 2.3!!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Middle America Map {Advanced Draft} ~ NEW UPDATE 2.3!!

Postby maritovw on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:25 pm

MIDDLE AMERICA MAP

Votes have been cast. People have decided. As of today, this map has been renamed from CARIBBEAN SEA to MIDDLE AMERICA.

Current version (2.3):

---Large map---
Click image to enlarge.

---Small map---
Click image to enlarge.

Map Status
The map is already in an advanced development stage, having a nice image and balanced gameplay. I need your comments and/or suggestions on this map so that I can make any changes needed (if any) and advance this map through the foundry. If you don't have any suggestions but you think it is a nice map and would like to play it, say it too!

The map was started a while ago but development stalled as I was 'away' from CC for a long time. Recently I returned and I've taken up development on the map, willing to finally finish it.

Latest Changes (Version 2.3)
  • removed connection between T&T and Leeward I.
  • rearrange names in greater antilles
  • change the hue of territory names in the USA
  • changed the title to Middle America

Gameplay
This map depicts the Middle America region, which includes southern USA, Mexico, Central America, Antilles, and northern South America. The gameplay follows that of a standard map.

The map has 42 territories distributed in 6 continents, which are:
  • United States (3)
  • MĆ©xico (7)
  • AmĆ©rica Central (6)
  • Greater Antilles (5)
  • Lesser Antilles (2)
  • AmĆ©rica del Sur (4)

Previous Versions
Last edited by maritovw on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:14 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm

1st, about the green borders, you can merge some really, because you will probably still add 1 or 2 more borders conecting to the isles, so...

2nd, about circles, I usually make them a bit smaller in the small map, but you can use the same size, no problem. To have idea about the size, get some number like 18 and 20 from some game map, because you cant test without the xml.

3rd and most important, I dont think you have the better font... Some letters are not ok... like the "o". Its good, for a title, for example, but not for the names in the map. And, the names are crowded, like I said. See El Salvador and Guatemala, and Managua... terrible! But not worse than the small isles... Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands, huh?? You will probably need merge the smaller countries and add space to the east of the small islands. maybe you can use better some space... South America has huge countries you can split if needed.
Major Marvaddin

Postby rocksolid on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Lookin' good. I'd shift the whole colour palette up and make things lighter, because it's real dark. I love the font but can't read it a lot of the time. And it's not clear which islands can/can't attack each other. Like can you attack the Leewards from Puerto Rico? And does Cuba border YucatƔn?
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Master Bush on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:50 pm

Why make this as a Pirates of the Caribbean theamed map?

Bad idea maybe.
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:01 pm

i like it keep it how it is (just finish it up)
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby motts444 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:17 pm

the font is sort of hard to read
Corporal motts444

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 pm

motts444 wrote:the font is sort of hard to read

if your illiterate.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby sully800 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 pm

I agree that the pallette is a bit too dark for my liking and the font is not very good for the country names. It does work for the title but the countries should be simpler and easier to read.

I think that the bonus for Central America is too high also. 6 men for 10 countries and 4 borders (which can be simplified to 3 by expanding into mexico). Whereas Mexico has 10 countries and 5 borders (can be simplified to 4) but only a bonus of 5? I would just reverse them...make Mexico 6 and Central America 5 and it seems more even.

I like the naming of America del sur. I certainly don't think they all have to be in English. I would just color code the continent names when you add the legend to avoid any confusion for people who are looking for "South America" and can't find it.

Good map overall so far!
Major sully800

Postby maritovw on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 pm

what do you think about the fonts? are they better now?

now that the sea connections are there, maybe the bonuses are quite right, don't you think??

now i'll just be adding the circles and some images (i was thinking of a compass, a couple pirate-like ships, and some sharks)

one more thing, i'm thinking of adding a connection between Zelaya and Panama so that you don't need to pass also Costa Rica and Colon in order to get to South America...

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:04 am

the maps looking great i can read the font and im semi blind almost :roll: lol

ME straing to see -> :shock:
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:20 am

looks good.

One suggestion, could u rename peten belize (ive heard of belize, but i havent of peten).
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:53 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:looks good.

One suggestion, could u rename peten belize (ive heard of belize, but i havent of peten).

Re-name it what?
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby maritovw on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:26 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:One suggestion, could u rename peten belize (ive heard of belize, but i havent of peten).

that's because Belize is a country, Peten isn't... peten is a part of Guatemala that occupies most of the land it has in my map... Belize is a small part of that territory (and it used to be part of guatemala too but the british fooled us and took it away)... so i think i should leave as it is...

[just FYI] maybe you have heard of the Mayan ruins of Tikal?? well, that's in Peten :)

Postby colinb007 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:53 pm

I think it's almost perfect!!!
I just cant keep track of the smaller islands though
Cook colinb007

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:04 pm

maritovw wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:One suggestion, could u rename peten belize (ive heard of belize, but i havent of peten).

that's because Belize is a country, Peten isn't... peten is a part of Guatemala that occupies most of the land it has in my map... Belize is a small part of that territory (and it used to be part of guatemala too but the british fooled us and took it away)... so i think i should leave as it is...

[just FYI] maybe you have heard of the Mayan ruins of Tikal?? well, that's in Peten :)

I think you should merge peten and guatemala.. make it 2 borders there.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:29 pm

colinb007 wrote:I think it's almost perfect!!!
I just cant keep track of the smaller islands though

yeah but part from that PERFECT!
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:34 pm

just refreshed the picture and the font is too much.. I liked the old font much more... the impact font hurts my eyes.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:39 pm

try comic sans thats a wicked sick font!
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:50 pm

i liked the font before.. ti complimented the style.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:52 pm

just try comic sans and see, its a real good font honest
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby rocksolid on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:39 pm

reverend_kyle wrote:I think you should merge peten and guatemala.. make it 2 borders there.

Boo. I dissent. Keep them separate.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby happysadfun on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:16 pm

what about the us? i really don't get its connection to the caribbean, and arizona and texas really don't need to be there. i love the map, but there are these little parts that make it less of a caribbean map and more of a middle america map. florida is worth keeping though.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:30 pm

During the last attempt at are Caribbean map, I was wondering a few of the same things regarding the importance of some countries. For instance as noted,

Arizona - Far from the Caribbean.
    Baja California - Same
    The West side of Mexico
    The West side of Central America
    Parts of South America, far from the Caribean

One idea is that you could combine countries, Peten and Guatamala, Honduras and El Salvador, etc. Making it so there aren't countries that are just on the pacific...considering a pacific only touching country would make much sense on a Caribbean map, at least my logic.

The problem though is, if this is done, harder to get the number of countries needed. Essentially you get rid of a 1/3 or so of the countries, which makes it perhaps difficult to find replacement areas.

Maybe the best idea, is look into creating a 'closer look' of the Caribbean. Where you only see the East side of Mexico, Florida, perhaps a few of the other gulf states, and even less of South America.

Just some thoughts and ideas.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby maritovw on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:46 pm

when i started making this map, i first tought about the region of where i wanted to do the map, then i tought about the name... so i don't like the idea of merging and removing much territories... maybe i should change the name, "middle america" maybe like happysadfun said... any suggestions for the name???

about the font, i liked the last one too but it was kinda hard to read, i think this one is better, and i'm not much of a comic sans fan, but i may give it a try....

Postby sully800 on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:06 pm

I think its fine calling it a Carribean map. That is the central part of this map, with some surrounding areas as well. I suppose I'm just not picky about the title but I don't think its worth sacrificing countries and gameplay just so the title is more accurate.

I still don't like the new font....its much easier to read but too tall and blocky- doesn't seem to fit with the map well anymore. I just looked through some fonts quickly and I think something like Book Antiqua, Courant or Papyrus would look better for the map but still be more legible than the first font was.

I like the overall look of the map a lot right now. However the islands seem unclear- you can't really tell which names belong to which islans, and which ones are grouped together. Perhaps you could distinguish the different areas better somehow? I don't know exactly what to suggest....perhaps an outline around the groups of islands or a different coloring in the water? I think those would both look gaudy but right now its too hard to tell what the labels are talking about.

You also seem to be missing some connections in the islands. I'm assumign Jamaica attaches to Haiti or Cuba or both but its not marked. Puerto Rico is probably supposed to connect to R Dominicana and Virgin I. And the Lesser Antilles seem to be missing a few connections as well or else I am just not understanding the labels.
Major sully800

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas