Conquer Club

[31-Aug-2007] Speed games

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[31-Aug-2007] Speed games

Postby lackattack on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:43 pm

Where did the summer go? I guess I've been too busy with personal life and behind-the-scenes work on CC to get more than one update done in a three month period. I should be able to finish more updates more often in the future...

Speed Games

A Faster game has been the #1 requested feature since the launch of Conquer Club. Finally it has arrived.

Speed Games are fast with only 5 minutes per round. You have to think and act quickly or you'll run out of time. It's a new type of challenge and should be a lot of fun.

To start off, Speed Games will auto-refresh every 15 seconds. Depending on server load I may adjust this higher or lower. I don't really know what the server can handle, so be warned that if things are really bad I may even have to put a cap on the number of active speed games until we can increase capacity.

Speed games are only available for premium members, so now is a good time to re-consider purchasing premium membership if you haven't got it :mrgreen:

AJAX Game Interface

AJAX is the latest craze in website technology and now Conquer Club has jumped onboard. AJAX allows a website to update only the parts of a page that have changed rather than reloading the whole page. What does this mean for us? A smoother game experience. Dial-up users should really notice a difference as they no longer have to wait for the entire game log to load each time they click Attack.

Note: AJAX is NOT compatible with the current versions of game-enhancing greasemonkey scripts. Users of such scripts must either disable AJAX from the My Setting page or disable their scripts (by clicking on the monkey).

Smart Territory Picklists

During attack and fortify, selecting a from territory re-populates the to picklist with only the appropriate choices. This should make it quite easier to find what you're looking for. I also removed some useless choices from the attack from picklist.

Coulourblind Map Armies

Do you have trouble distinguishing which army belongs to which player? Then try this new option on the MySettings page - it will prefix the army values with the first letter of their colour. Credit goes to Tr0y for coming up with this concept.

Feedback Improvements

You can now leave feedback as soon as you have been eliminated from a game even if it isn't finished. However, you must now leave all feedback before the game has been archived.

To make things easier, you no longer have to remember the game number when leaving feedback. We put feedback links on the Eliminated and Recently Finished sections of My Games and from within the game itself. You can now manage your feedbacks from the Feedback Left section of your feedback page which is now accessible from left hand menu (as My Feedback).

Anti-Deadbeat Measures

Newbie deadbeats are the scourge of Conquer Club. Many of us have witnessed New Recruits that go into their first game, type "where the heck is everybody, this is dumb", and never come back. This series of "training" PMs is designed to get the message across to newbies who didn't read the instructions:

subject: Your first game... wrote:Hello ###,

We're glad to see that you have joined your first game! As you must have noticed it's not full yet. Games only begin once all the players have joined so you may have to wait a while. Come back in a few hours or even tomorrow. We'll send you an email notification when it's time for your first turn.

Regards,
The Conquer Club

subject: Your first turn... wrote:Hello ###,

Congratulations on completing your first turn! You now have to wait for your opponents to play or for the round to expire. Check on your game at least once a day so that you don't miss your next turns. It takes some patience but you'll soon find that Conquer Club is lots of fun!

Regards,
The Conquer Club

subject: Your second turn... wrote: Hello ###,

Congratulations on completing your second turn! You are getting the hang of it, aren't you? Did you know that you can play up to 4 games at once for free? Why not join a few more games? You'll see more action!

Regards,
The Conquer Club
Sergeant lackattack

Postby wicked on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:45 pm

oooh I wonder what it could be...

*hype*

:-^
Major wicked

Postby rebelman on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:05 pm

Congrats on a job well done.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

color blind

Postby chiefpig on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks a billion the color blind enhancements are awsome
Lieutenant chiefpig

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:38 pm

i wanna report wicked for harassment and all round pain in the ar$e for the last hour :wink:

and well done for lack who didn't let a cold stop him meeting this deadline :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby dcowboys055 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:38 pm

I love you lack!
XI since August '06
Captain dcowboys055

Postby happy2seeyou on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:40 pm

Way to go! Great job :D
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby dominationnation on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:40 pm

As a feemie player is it possible for a player to make a private speed game that we can join?
Cook dominationnation

Postby Sven Hassel on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 pm

i just want to know how can we see if a game is casual or speed, i am a non-premium so i can not create a speed game, but i can still join no?
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 pm

dominationnation wrote:As a feemie player is it possible for a player to make a private speed game that we can join?

i would assume so :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gameplayer on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:42 pm

thank you the new updates are great :D

gameplayer
Colonel gameplayer

Postby dominationnation on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:42 pm

gimil wrote:
dominationnation wrote:As a feemie player is it possible for a player to make a private speed game that we can join?

i could assume so :)

I caint join regular speed games though so...
Cook dominationnation

Postby AlbroShlo on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:42 pm

Great job !! =D> \:D/ =D>

I really like the speed games idea.
Major AlbroShlo

Postby comic boy on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:42 pm

The speed games wont work in 5-6 player escalating,impossible to clear up in 5 minutes :cry:
Brigadier comic boy

Postby happy2seeyou on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:43 pm

gimil wrote:

i would assume so :)

Not from what I heard.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby cena-rules on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:43 pm

lack you may have killed my relationship. Im in the car for screming ITS HERE ITS HERE at the top of my voice.

im the loser of the first speed game though so...

5*
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby wicked on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:44 pm

yes they will. you just have to decide if you have enough time to take someone out or not. or you may only have enough time to take out one person, not two.
Major wicked

Postby Mr. General on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 pm

Nice job Lack, this awesome. My favorite part is the speed games. Now it is so easy to play a quick game. :D =D>
Corporal 1st Class Mr. General

Postby cena-rules on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 pm

wicked wrote:yes they will. you just have to decide if you have enough time to take someone out or not. or you may only have enough time to take out one person, not two.

oh yeah . and you may have also cost me my relationship wicked for building up th tension. Now I demand you put that you may have cost me my relationship in your sig
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby Gilligan on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:47 pm

Great job brotha!
Captain Gilligan

Postby The1exile on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:47 pm

=D> \:D/

Any time frame on phpbb rivals now? [-o<
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby Phobia on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:49 pm

Cheer lack :) Just come back from holiday to find this, great :)
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby Wisse on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 pm

great :D
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby jennifermarie on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:57 pm

i'm getting the messages that are meant for the noobies, about how it is your first turn, your second turn...it only happened on the speed game i just started a little bit ago. i hope it isn't sending these messages to everyone
Private 1st Class jennifermarie

Postby comic boy on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:57 pm

wicked wrote:yes they will. you just have to decide if you have enough time to take someone out or not. or you may only have enough time to take out one person, not two.

As I said it wont work :D
Why not an additional time period for each Kill ?
Brigadier comic boy

Next

Return to Announcement Archives