Conquer Club

Ireland map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ireland map

Postby john123 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:29 pm

I was just wondering if people would be interested in playin this, also feedback on improvements etc would be great

Image[/img]
Sergeant 1st Class john123

Postby PaperPlunger on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:44 pm

I like it, needs touch up obviously but, seems ok.
Private PaperPlunger

Postby DublinDoogey on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:52 pm

I like having an Ireland map, and it looks good as far as borders though. You would need to amp up the graphics a bit though.

It got passed up on the Great Britian map, but I really like the idea of having a smaller, less dense map suitable for 2-3 players for a 'quick' game. You may want to consider that for this, because Ireland would be perfect for that.

:)
Private DublinDoogey

Postby GOD on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:20 pm

I like the idea, but it seems to me that four "continents" might be too few, is there any way to break them up into 6ish?
Sergeant GOD

Postby Machiavelli on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:33 pm

Great for a 3-4 person game. Not the best for 5-6. It looks really playable but some of the contry names are blurry.
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby Risk_06 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:06 am

I'm feeling weird on the bonuses...

Connacht: 5 territories, 3 border territories, 5 bonus armies.
Munster: 6 territories, 3 border territories, 4 bomus armies?!? :shock:

Other than that, though...it looks okay, for a 3-player game....with a lot of work.
Currently on vacation. Sorry.

Proud xiGAMES member!
http://xigames.net/forum
Click it! NOW!
Corporal 1st Class Risk_06

Postby Nobunaga on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:17 am

... I like it! (needs graphic touch-ups, but I like it a lot!).

... My armies shall march from Cork, and all men shall know the wrath of Oda McNobunaga! Haha! (an Irish - Japanese warlord).
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby john123 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:27 pm

GOD wrote:I like the idea, but it seems to me that four "continents" might be too few, is there any way to break them up into 6ish?

Yeah i no it mite be too few but i like havin it as it is geographically, i tink it would be ok for around 3 players. i don't know if ther's enough territories for 6 continents

Postby supermarcol on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:47 pm

Maybe you could include scotland in your map, but then again it probably defeats the purpose of the IRELAND map. The problem in my opinion is that there is already a nice british isle map underway. We have to be careful about redundant maps. We don't want to end up with 20 maps that are just the same in the end. I think you should spend your map time and skills on some other project. If I can give a suggestion, we have plenty of "real" maps, but we lack on the fantasy side, those lord of the ring, star wars, or any other. There is a lot of possibilities out there.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:55 pm

if you had a connection to New York and Kilburn to pick up on all the paddies who left the emerald isle then we have a game
Major Pedronicus

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:35 pm

I know you are very proud of making your country map, Im also very proud my Brazil map is being used already, sometimes I enter the game finder and only see how many games used it :D

But, you really need think about at least 5 continents. See:
Classic map: 42 countries, 6 continents - 7 countries / continent
Your map: 32 countries, 4 continents - 8 countries / continent :shock:

A map for 3-4 players dont need a gigantic continent of 12 countries, I can suggest you a dispersion of 4, 5, 7, 7, 9 countries. And, in any case, you will need some barriers, because a continent cant have more than 6 border countries.

And, delete the continent names of the map, the colours and the legend are sufficient.
Major Marvaddin

Postby john123 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:33 am

yeah i tink i'm gonna split leinster into north and south and stick in a few rivers or mountains as borders, any1 any reccomendations for where

Postby qeee1 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:28 pm

Nice.

I think the Wicklow mountains could be very useful if you're splitting leinster into North and South. And the Shannon could be used to block off some of connaught I suppose, and the mourne mountains could be used to block just North of Louth. That's about it if you want to remain geographically faithful, the problem I had was all the mountains are on the edges, not good at forming borders. If you're not staying geographically faithful then you've lots of options, depends how you split Leinster.

Gameplay wise it seems ok if you cut down on some of the orders. It doesn't have any small starter continent, which might be a good or bad thing, it'd make it different. If you wanted you could cut Cork and Kerry from the rest of Munster, split them up a bit more, and then use mountains to sepetate them from the rest into the starter continent.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Giggy the Lesser on Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:24 pm

maybe you could put the Aran islands in there.
Cook Giggy the Lesser

Postby Rakonas on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:55 pm

You have a waterford in leinster and one in munster

but the map looks great, hopefully soon ill be marching my armies out of Clare and conquering all of Eire
Cadet Rakonas

Postby kevinc on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:59 pm

Hey John,

You beat me to it. I've actually been working on an Ireland map too. Maybe we can work together to get one that kicks ass? I'd like to see how it plays with the provinces and counties as they stand, but maybe we could use one of the older breakdowns of ireland like this:

http://members.aol.com/lochlan4/kings.gif

Here's what I've done so far (hope you don't mind me posting it)

Corporal kevinc

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:09 pm

The older breakdown it looks like would give rise to a larger number of people for gameplay. But it seems many people now are starting to shift from creating the standard to big maps, to a smaller 3-4 base player. I think some pursuit is granted in this area, I like to play small games quite a lot, and wouldn't mind seeing a few small maps for such gameplay. Perhaps once Kevin and John correspond with eachother about possible dual making a map, I'll come back to see what one, if yet created, you will be going toward. I must say so far though, Kevin's latter version is very visually appealing as it currently stands, but that is all I will say on the matter for now.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby areyouincahoots on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:24 pm

Kevin's map is definitely more visually appealing...but you should take the continent names off of the map because it just clutters it...it's color coded so the names on the map aren't needed.

EDIT:You know...I just want to say thanks for making a map that's light colored...lol...my comp. screen makes everything darker than it really is, so the Europe map is incredibly difficult for me to read...this map will be no problem and really interesting to play.
Last edited by areyouincahoots on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." -Doc Holliday
Private 1st Class areyouincahoots

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 pm

I really like the genuine map look of kevinc's map. Whatever you guys decide to do, I think a 3-4 person Ireland map would be sweet.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Fieryo on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:52 pm

i like the idea of a map designed for less players. I'd assume that people like Marvaddin will disagree.
Major Fieryo

Postby Jota on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:07 pm

I have to agree; I really like the look of this one.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby rocksolid on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:00 pm

That there's a nice looking map, Kevin.

A suggestion: you might want to throw the Shannon in there to cut the south part of the island in two. I'm sure you know it well enough, but for the others on the forum, it runs down the eastern side of Co. Roscommon, Galway and Clare. I think it would be a good impassable boundary on this map, cutting Roscommon off from Longford, Westmeath and Offaly, Galway cut off from Offaly and Tipperary, and Clare cut off from Tipperary and Limerick but joined to Limerick by a bridge at the head of the estuary that's already on your map (Limerick city). You might want to put in Lough Ree and Lough Derg, too, and the Connemara mts could block Mayo from Galway.

Edit - sorry, didn't realize qeee1 had beat me to it.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby qeee1 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:51 pm

Yeah, see what Rock Solid said... or my earlier post.

I think John123 said (to me offline) he was giving up on the map anyway so I think you're free to do as you wish, but yeah... needs some work on cutting down the amount of borders... nice map style though.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby zorba_ca on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:18 pm

KevinC:

I think the map is more than playable as is.

A lot of the complaints about continent size and borders are irrelevant. The map will just play differently. By that, I mean: continent holding will occur later in the game, long-term strategy will be required.

I see no reason that 5 people can't play this map (6 is probably pushing it, though).

The biggest change I would make is to the bonuses: You have Connaught with 5 countries and 3 borders worth MORE than Munster with 6 countries adn 3 borders. This obviously makes no sense.

I like the realistic feel (but would get rid of the country names on the map, as suggested) and add in stronger shading into the countries (maybe have a colour-blind player help with this).

Last suggestion: to split up some of land borders, maybe there are natural barriers (rivers & mountains) that you can add-in as uncrossable areas.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing a final product.
Major zorba_ca

Postby john123 on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:56 pm

yeah your one looks great i've kinda given up on making my one so feel free to work away, if you want any help or anything send me a pm. I reckon some of the comments are good, the shannon, wicklow/mourne/kerry mts, aran islands etc could spice it up a bit, also with the bonuses i think its a good idea to have connacht with more bonuses cos its attackable from all other continents rather than just two (as is the case with munster)

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas