Conquer Club

Conquer Man [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Conquer Man [Quenched]

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:06 pm

OK here it is. CONQUER MAN!!!
This is the first draft and I know there are a lot of things to do but I wanted to get input before I spent another 6 hours on it. I KNOW THERE ARE ONLY RED TERRITORIES. I will start working on layout and gameplay as soon as I get a positive response.

Things which I will be adding or tweaking are listed in the to-do section below but I guess I just want to get the overall feeling for the map.

I want it to be pixelly because it is an old arcade style map.
151 territories 600 x 600 small map

Each standard territory will be labeled with a letter in the bottom left corner of that territory. I know this in the the most exciting way to do it but really it is the most efficient and fist the best with the map visually.

EX: Red A, Red X, Cyan B, Orange F, etc.

Each special territory will be based on the type: Conquer Man, Pink ALIEN, Orange Diamond, etc.

TO DO:
1) Update legend with standard attack directions UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT
2) Update legend with special attack directions: DIAMONDS can attack each other, ALIENS can attack each other.
3) Update map to have at least 10 different color groups. 4 of which are colored like the DIAMONDS and ALIENS.
4) Update legend to show bonus values for different color groups
5) Discuss different locations of ALIENS and color groups to achieve non symmetrical gameplay on symmetrical map.

Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby hecter on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm

I find it to be hard on the eyes, with all the contrast.

Also, why is any alien AND conquer man and any alien both -2?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:16 pm

hecter wrote:I find it to be hard on the eyes, with all the contrast.
It is hard on the eyes because it is a 1980's video game. :D

hecter wrote:Also, why is any alien AND conquer man and any alien both -2?

I just put in numbers. It would make more sense to have The pair worth -3 or -4.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Incandenza on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Wow. As someone who cut his video gaming teeth pumping nickels into Pac-Man, this looks like some great kitschy fun. When on earth do you sleep, wm?

A couple of questions:
is it -2 per ghost? 'cause should someone start with, say three of them, the fact that they'll be getting a bunch of armies just from the high numbers of territories will be massively offset by the penalty. I understand that they're useful as teleports and bonus components, but the penalty seems high, and will severaly penalize people that start with them... maybe they could start neutral?
In a way, I have the same beef with pac-man, tho it looks like having pac-man and a ghost have bonuses/penalties that cancel each other out. Again, maybe a neutral start.
Given how many armies people will start with (hell, in 3p, each player will start with 50 territories), maybe the neutral values could be set higher than 3... even as high as ten.
One element from the game that you didn't put in is the fruit bonus, which could be an independent +2 or so territory towards the top of the map... or even in the spot below the ghost deployment box.
As far as color group and aliens go, the more asymmetrical, the better. Having one part of the map more powerful than another isn't a bad thing, and in fact only on the deliberately symmetrical maps are things balanced. You don't hear anyone complain that the north of San Francisco or the south of Middle Earth are stronger places to start than anywhere else on the map.

Wow, that turned into quite a few things... :D
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Skittles! on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Ah ah ah ah. Where you get this idea?

Looking good, but as a 1980's game.. It could look better. Yeah, the red hurts the eyes and it really, really contrasts with the blue blockades.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Incandenza wrote:Wow. As someone who cut his video gaming teeth pumping nickels into Pac-Man, this looks like some great kitschy fun. When on earth do you sleep, wm?

A couple of questions:
is it -2 per ghost? 'cause should someone start with, say three of them, the fact that they'll be getting a bunch of armies just from the high numbers of territories will be massively offset by the penalty. I understand that they're useful as teleports and bonus components, but the penalty seems high, and will severaly penalize people that start with them... maybe they could start neutral?
In a way, I have the same beef with pac-man, tho it looks like having pac-man and a ghost have bonuses/penalties that cancel each other out. Again, maybe a neutral start.
Given how many armies people will start with (hell, in 3p, each player will start with 50 territories), maybe the neutral values could be set higher than 3... even as high as ten.
One element from the game that you didn't put in is the fruit bonus, which could be an independent +2 or so territory towards the top of the map... or even in the spot below the ghost deployment box.
As far as color group and aliens go, the more asymmetrical, the better. Having one part of the map more powerful than another isn't a bad thing, and in fact only on the deliberately symmetrical maps are things balanced. You don't hear anyone complain that the north of San Francisco or the south of Middle Earth are stronger places to start than anywhere else on the map.

Wow, that turned into quite a few things... :D

1) The ALIENS would start with neutral 1
2) Conquer man would be neutral too. Say 5 or 6
3) Ah Fruit. I forgot to post that. I wll try to work it into the legend (if I have room) Yes it would go below the Alien box
4) asymmetrical is the way I want to go. The issue is there are 151 possible spots for everything. WHERE does everthing go to make the game work????

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:26 pm

Skittles! wrote:Ah ah ah ah. Where you get this idea?

Looking good, but as a 1980's game.. It could look better. Yeah, the red hurts the eyes and it really, really contrasts with the blue blockades.

I know there need to be compromises. The number of pellets is less becasue they need to be bigger for th e"88" to fit. Plus there needs to be color to distinguish between the different groups.

It will look better once there are 10 or so different colors out there.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Incandenza on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:28 pm

WidowMakers wrote:4) asymmetrical is the way I want to go. The issue is there are 151 possible spots for everything. WHERE does everthing go to make the game work????

WM

Honestly? I bet you could place the ghosts completely randomly, just as long as they aren't bunched up. I like having pac-man in the starting position, and the diamonds should stay symmetrical given that's how the game runs, but you could probably pick a screenshot of the game off the interwebs and assign ghost positions thusly, and the only one who would complain is marvaddin. :D
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:33 pm

Incandenza wrote:I bet you could place the ghosts completely randomly.....and the only one who would complain is marvaddin. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major WidowMakers

Postby RjBeals on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Are you creating aliens because ghosts are "copyrighted"? And widow, pretty much anything you create gets my approval. If you had a tips jar on your desk I'd toss you a quarter.
Private RjBeals

Postby Skittles! on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:43 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Skittles! wrote:Ah ah ah ah. Where you get this idea?

I know there need to be compromises. The number of pellets is less becasue they need to be bigger for th e"88" to fit. Plus there needs to be color to distinguish between the different groups.

It will look better once there are 10 or so different colors out there.

WM

I know you got the idea from PacMan, but about a week ago I put an idea in the map idea thread so I was thinking you got the idea there. Anyway

I hope this does to quenched.. I would love to play PacMan on CC
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:46 pm

Skittles! wrote:I know you got the idea from PacMan, but about a week ago I put an idea in the map idea thread so I was thinking you got the idea there. Anyway

I hope this does to quenched.. I would love to play PacMan on CC
It was this thread.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 865#745865

I really did not know if it would work. But after I started the draft it seems to just come together.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby hecter on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:46 pm

I still think the colour intensity and contrast needs to be toned down a bit.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:02 pm

RjBeals wrote:Are you creating aliens because ghosts are "copyrighted"? And widow, pretty much anything you create gets my approval.
I used ALIENS because I wanted to make sure that it was different but still the same. Plus this way each "ALIEN" looks a little different.

RjBeals wrote: And widow, pretty much anything you create gets my approval. If you had a tips jar on your desk I'd toss you a quarter.
Would that be quarter per post or per complete map. You almost owe me $2.

hecter wrote:I still think the colour intensity and contrast needs to be toned down a bit.
I will definitley look into this. I just want to get the framework finished first. We might find that the white circles could get smaller or the opacity turned down a bit too.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 am

the food is peach colored, why make it red on your map.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:39 am

If you do this you should add all the little fruit items and then do a fruit basket bonus for having portions of, or all of it. :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:49 am

WM...i like the idea myself, and i think it would fill a niche market play out there.

I voted for non-symmetrical.

Also, if you go ahead, are you planning on continuing with the hard edged style, or will you use some anti-aliasing to reduce that hard edge?
I think it could do with less harshness, and as mentioned, the colours are very bold....i agree thay need toning down a fraction.

Good start though. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:21 am

Widow Maker wrote:
cairnswk wrote:WM...i like the idea myself, and i think it would fill a niche market play out there.

I voted for non-symmetrical.

Also, if you go ahead, are you planning on continuing with the hard edged style, or will you use some anti-aliasing to reduce that hard edge?
I think it could do with less harshness, and as mentioned, the colours are very bold....i agree thay need toning down a fraction.

Good start though. :)
I am glad you like the idea. I voted non-symmetrical as well. I am going to continue with the hard edge. I spent around 4 hours drawing with a 1x1 pixel pencil in photoshop so I could keep the hard edge on all the pieces of the map. It is the way the video game looked int eh 80's. So it is the style I want to see.

As far as the colors being bold, I am going to look into toning down the white army circles and (I believe) once the different colored pellets (currently all red) are changed to different bonus colors (cyan, pink, orange, blue , magenta, yellow, gray, green, etc) the map will feel better.

But we shall see.

WM

Thanks WM.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:06 am

its a good map but there is too many territorys, like you could take out everyother one so that there is less but there is still some
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Skittles! on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:32 am

Unit_2 wrote:its a good map but there is too many territorys, like you could take out everyother one so that there is less but there is still some

What's wrong with that many territories?
Private Skittles!

Postby Keredrex on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Awesome Widow... Although could you make those harsh red borders on the cirlces a bit thinner.....Otherwise its awesome
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Skittles! wrote:
Unit_2 wrote:its a good map but there is too many territorys, like you could take out everyother one so that there is less but there is still some

What's wrong with that many territories?

its just too much, it would take forever to finsh it :roll: .(if it gets on the site i doubt i'd ever play it.)
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:30 pm

Well... There is currently a demand for a few more higher count territories. Although I made that observation 3 months ago so who knows what people feel now. :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Night Strike on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:27 am

Coleman wrote:Well... There is currently a demand for a few more higher count territories. Although I made that observation 3 months ago so who knows what people feel now. :lol:

More territories that fit in the size requirements would make people happy (If their name isn't DiM or qwert :lol: )
Major Night Strike

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:26 pm

OK here is Revision #2

Edits:

-Changed the territories to pellets like th actual game. I like it much more.
-Each pellet will have a letter, the name of the territory will be BLUE A or RED G.
-Added the fruit
-Added attack instructions
-Added Bonus values (prelim) for each color group
-Added "Double your bonus by holding all the pellets and diamond of the same color"

Need to do
-Get a better idea of the number of territories per color and the placement (that is where all of you come in.) :D:D:D

Oh and this is a 1980's arcade game. It is supposed to be pixelly. :lol:
Major WidowMakers

Next

Return to The Atlas