Conquer Club

Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Arctic Map [Quenched]

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Below is a link to a map of the arctic.
[img=http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/561/arcticmz3.th.jpg]

I know the graphics need some work (ok, alot), but at the moment im more interested in the gameplay. There are 39 countries and 6 continents. Any, and all feedback/critisism is welcome. Im wondering if i have the army bonuses right, the positions of the countries/continents, etc.

Let me know what you think.

Final Versions

And, for play at home fun...

Arctic Supersize Version
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=89506 (51x42 cm)

Arctic Cards
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=89510

NOTE: These links may be broken. If so, please contact me if you want a supersize version, and I will fix the links.
Last edited by Bad Speler on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

looks good

Postby sfhbballnut on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:27 pm

I like it :D
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:28 pm

Any ideas on how to improve it?

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:09 pm

First I'll say 39 countries is alright, many people push for the 'risk numbers' (I.E. 42, 48, etc), to keep neutral territories to a minimum. Just something to consider.

As for gameplay, it is an interesting look map. I like the idea. It looks like most of the continents are balanced, but I'll have to look at them closer later. One thing I noticed right away though was the Wheel Aspect to this map. Getting around the map is a little hindered, due to lack of connections from the east to west and north to the south, etc.

One idea to alleviate this wheel effect, would be consider looking into using some of the polar ice cap to create connections (and also boost the country count if you so wish). Anyways, I'll be back to comment further on the balance, and then help with the asthetics.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby devilseyesdd on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:22 pm

lets see the map
Cook devilseyesdd

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:23 pm

If you click the link on the first post, you'll see the map.

Postby P Gizzle on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:45 pm

good idea. i also think it would be cool to have an antarctica map. just an idea
Cook P Gizzle

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:52 pm

Well, there has been a suggestion about an Antarctica map, but it's basically been rejected due to the fact that it would be hard to seperate it into countries.
Here's the link to the antarctica map suggestion if you're interested
Last edited by Bad Speler on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby happysadfun on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:57 pm

i like it but northern alaska looks a bit more like western alaska if u look at it right
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks for that! I keep getting messed up because North is in the center of the map, and not the top. I've used the same principle and switched Eastern and Western Sakha around. I also took Andy's suggestion about putting the polar ice cap. Here's the link to the image.
The continent bonus for the polar ice cap is up for debate. I'm thinking 4.

EDIT: This is no longer the current version of the map. Go down a few posts to find it.
Last edited by Bad Speler on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby happysadfun on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:28 am

i think four or five, too, to centralize the fighting. but to justify that, there should be nore attack routes to it.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:07 pm

I've added attack routes from North Pole to Nenets, and from Russian ice to Eastern Sakha. To keep Asian Russia balanced, I changed the attack route of Aleutian Islands to Kamchatka. It now leads to Chutkotka.

(Click to enlarge)

EDIT: Keep going down, this is no longer the current version
Last edited by Bad Speler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:18 pm

I love the idea of an arctic map.

I googled arctic map nd came up with this:
http://www.athropolis.com/graphics/arcticmap4-new.gif

Just a suggestion but I think you should focus more on the arctic circle than you are currently doing. Excluding Iceland, most of your continent "europe" doesnt need to be there. I think you should have much more islands which border the pack ice like Franz Josef Land, Severnaya Zemlya (which you currently have incorparated into Nenets) New Siberian Island, Wrangel Island (the unamed island between the chuckchi and east siberian sea in the first link) and queen elizabeth islands.

Also your map looks kinda small.

Edit: look at the Russia map being made, you could copy a couple of his territories for your map.
Last edited by gavin_sidhu on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:29 pm

i think the europe parts are fine. this is kinda like the caribbean sea argument, there needs to be something more than just the focused region

Cadet happysadfun

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:00 pm

I agree, mostly because of the fact that there's not much up there in the arctic.

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:57 pm

I like the idea, but I would like to see an image with a better resolution, please. And maybe we can choose another name to these NA Ice, Russia Ice...
Major Marvaddin

Postby stevegriffiths23 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:42 am

There are a lot of connecting lines - makes it looks a bit messy - are they all necessary?
Major stevegriffiths23

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:22 am

Marvaddin wrote:I like the idea, but I would like to see an image with a better resolution, please. And maybe we can choose another name to these NA Ice, Russia Ice...

I'm still working on the better resolution. i cant think of any better names then NA ice and Russia ice (mostly because thats what it is). I'm open to suggestions on the names.

stevegriffiths23 wrote:There are a lot of connecting lines - makes it looks a bit messy - are they all necessary?

Taking a second look, you're right. I will try to eliminate the lines that aren't necessary in my next map update.

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 am

Bad Speler wrote:Well, there has been a suggestion about an Antarctica map, but it's basically been rejected due to the fact that it would be hard to seperate it into countries.
Here's the link to the antarctica map suggestion if you're interested

I started on one in there.. unfortunately I cant make pretty maps
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 am

I only read the first couple of posts.

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:56 am

wait: a bonus of five with four borders and 6 countries? shouldn't it be lower for north america? and if the aleutians could stand out a tad more that would be cool.

Cadet happysadfun

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:41 am

happysadfun wrote:wait: a bonus of five with four borders and 6 countries? shouldn't it be lower for north america? and if the aleutians could stand out a tad more that would be cool.

I think you mis-counted North America has 3 borders and 7 countries (unless I mis-counted). It might still be worth a 4. I did try to make the aleutian islands stand out more, but im not sure if I suceeded, you be the judge. Anyways, here's the latest version of the map.

(Click to enlarge)
Edit: this is no longer the current version. Keep scrolling down.
Last edited by Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:29 pm

Bad Speler wrote:
happysadfun wrote:wait: a bonus of five with four borders and 6 countries? shouldn't it be lower for north america? and if the aleutians could stand out a tad more that would be cool.

I think you mis-counted North America has 3 borders and 7 countries (unless I mis-counted). It might still be worth a 4. I did try to make the aleutian islands stand out more, but im not sure if I suceeded, you be the judge. Anyways, here's the latest version of the map.

(Click to enlarge)

I did. It's actually 5 borders, 7 countries. Keep it at 5 (I didnt count the aleutians the 1st time.)

Cadet happysadfun

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:03 pm

I think at this point I should get to work on the graphics

Arctic map

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 am

I've worked on the graphics, let me know what you think.
Note: It is currently a bmp image. I will change it to a jpeg/gif/png image later. I am only working with a bitmap image, because that's what I'm most familiar with.
Edit: I finally figured out how to make the image appear larger.

Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)

Next

Return to The Atlas