Conquer Club

Conquer Man [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yamahafazer on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 am

At first I was leening to keep the continents but thinking about it it could be fun to have a change. The only thing that might be a problem it that once someone is only slightly bigger than everyone elce wouldn't they win easily?
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby unriggable on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 am

yamahafazer wrote:The only thing that might be a problem it that once someone is only slightly bigger than everyone elce wouldn't they win easily?

That's what she asked.

To answer your question, not really. Many more borders.
Cook unriggable

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:02 pm

OK Version 4

version A (Pellet Groups)

version B (no Pellet Groups)

WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby borox0 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Good but no pellet groups
I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.
Cadet borox0

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:50 pm

I vote for version B (no pellet groups).

Can you rename them version A (Pellet Groups) and version B (no Pellet Groups)?
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:49 am

how are you planing to diferencyate between palets for attacking on the no groups verson?

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:48 am

yamahafazer wrote:how are you planing to diferencyate between palets for attacking on the no groups verson?
Look in the top right. EAch pellet has a letter. Either way the pellet will be named based on that letter.

Pellet groups = Red A or Green F
No Pellet Groups = A, B, ..... EE, EF, EG
Major WidowMakers

Postby Cherry pepsi? on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 am

change the bonouses there shouldn't just be 5 for each one and 4 for holding the cake i think the alians should be in the middle and there should be a color dimond on each different bonous color that's what i think ;)
Corporal 1st Class Cherry pepsi?

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 am

WidowMakers wrote:
yamahafazer wrote:how are you planing to diferencyate between palets for attacking on the no groups verson?
Look in the top right. EAch pellet has a letter. Either way the pellet will be named based on that letter.

Pellet groups = Red A or Green F
No Pellet Groups = A, B, ..... EE, EF, EG

Ok. Your right that would be fine. Thanks

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 am

What do others think about having more than one cake?

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 pm

yamahafazer wrote:What do others think about having more than one cake?
The cake is a lie.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Night Strike on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:17 am

I haven't payed too close attention, but using double (and triple) letters for territories will get really confusing (not to mention really hard on the eyes). If people want no continents, couldn't you leave in the colors to differentiate territories but not code them as a bonus?
Major Night Strike

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 am

Night Strike wrote:I haven't payed too close attention, but using double (and triple) letters for territories will get really confusing (not to mention really hard on the eyes). If people want no continents, couldn't you leave in the colors to differentiate territories but not code them as a bonus?

I think that this is a good idea as it could get very hard to read.

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:42 am

If people are set on only having one cake :( don't you think that it's a bit too cloce to the "conquer man"? If their so close one person might easaly be able to get them bouth and hold them.

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 am

yamahafazer wrote:If people are set on only having one cake :( don't you think that it's a bit too cloce to the "conquer man"? If their so close one person might easaly be able to get them both and hold them.
Conquer-Man, The cupcake, the Diamonds and Aliens will all start out with neutral territories on them.
Major WidowMakers

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:05 am

hummm ok

Postby Skittles! on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 am

Night Strike wrote:I haven't payed too close attention, but using double (and triple) letters for territories will get really confusing (not to mention really hard on the eyes). If people want no continents, couldn't you leave in the colors to differentiate territories but not code them as a bonus?

I agree with Night Strike, and the colours are easier on the eyes rather than the stand-out white.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby oaktown on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Skittles! wrote:

I agree with Night Strike, and the colours are easier on the eyes rather than the stand-out white.

I'm in both camps - I prefer the no pellet groups, but perhaps the pellets can be turned down a few degrees to make them easier on the eyes.

you should work with Lack and see if you can't add some "wacka wacka" every time the map opens.
Captain oaktown

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 pm

I think I am also leaning towards the no bonus territory idea.

OK here is an idea for the naming. If we use a grid system then the names do not need to be in the way and there is no need to use colors to shorten the name.
1) One color - Grid naming: A1, A2, ..... Q14, Q15
2) Color Naming (See last image) Red A, Red B ..... Blue Q, Blue R
This is confusing because I think people will think the different colors mean something. There will be tons of posts "Why don't i get a bonus for holding all of RED?

3) One color - pellet naming: A, B, C, D.....AA, AB, AC, AD,......EA, EB, EC, ED

I like #1.

But we still need to decide if we want to lower the bonus as the numbers get higher (read lower right of legend)

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby oaktown on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:09 pm

how about a two letter grid system so you can print the numbers on the pellets but you don't have to mess with a third digit...
first row is AA - AO
second row is BA - BO
third row is CA - CO

When there's a barrier I'd skip over a letter to make sure the, "J"s or "O"s line up vertically. This will make for more clear attack patterns.

I'd vote no bonus regions, but i like that you're trying to be creative with the army distribution. Can you be more clear about the decreasing bonuses? Are we talking regressive in that if you hold ten terits you get the base 3, but if you hold 12 you get a -1 penalty and remain at +3? Or do you keep getting bonuses but the steps aren't so big?
Captain oaktown

Postby unriggable on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Label each pelet A1, A2, etc.
Cook unriggable

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 pm

oaktown wrote:how about a two letter grid system...
first row is AA - AO
second row is BA - BO
third row is CA - CO

When there's a barrier I'd skip over a letter to make sure the, "J"s or "O"s line up vertically. This will make for more clear attack patterns.
Are you saying to put the letters on the pellets?

oaktown wrote:I'd vote no bonus regions, but i like that you're trying to be creative with the army distribution. Can you be more clear about the decreasing bonuses? Are we talking regressive in that if you hold ten terits you get the base 3, but if you hold 12 you get a -1 penalty and remain at +3? Or do you keep getting bonuses but the steps aren't so big?
I had a graph done but I must have lost it. I will try to make up one later but in the mean time here is what I meant.

Basically the blue line is the standard increase by 1 army for every three territories. An the magenta line is the decreaseing value of bonus. There is teh equation where X is the number of pellets

The problem is I don't know how to do this in XML and how to explain it.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm

I still favor continents so no help from me on the xml issue with your idea. At least, not right now. :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Incandenza on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 pm

I like the no-continent concept. With so many territories, armies won't be hard to come by.

A few things, tho:
1. You might want to think about having the grid coordinates along the side and bottom AND having the pellet # on the actual pellets. I know it's redundant, but I just think you'll have fewer misdrops that way.
2. One thing to consider is that, when it comes to territory-count bonuses, we're not just talking about pellets. The bonus-type territories are territories as well that will add to the count.
3. I may be alone on this, but I think the cupcake bonus is a touch high.

Potential copy for the territory-bonus concept:
There are no continents in Conquer-Man! (alt: Conquer-Man sneers at continent bonuses!)
Territory bonuses are sliding:
(and then you'd have some sort of box, like so:)
territories----# territories per army
1-21 ------------------ 3
22-x ------------------ 4
x+1-y ---------------- 5
y+1-z ---------------- 6

well, you get the idea.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby oaktown on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:20 am

It would be ideal to have the territory names attached to the pellets somehow, but I understand that it may get messy on teh board... one of those moments where you have to weigh practicality vs. look.

Could you keep the bonus structure more simple and just say that in ConquerMan your per turn allotment is one army for every four territories, instead of three? This would be easy to accomplish with the given XML - you create a bonus called "Conquerman recalculation" that has every terit, you only need 12 terits to hold it, and it's a -1. Thus if you have 12, 13, or 14 terits you get 4-1=3. Then another bonus with the same name that gives a -1 at 15, and another with the same name that gives a +1 at 16, and so on... -1 every 3, +1 every four.

A typical turn would look like this:
05:56:21 - oaktown receives -2 armies for holding Conquerman Recalculation
05:56:21 - oaktown receives 7 armies for 22 territories

(22÷4=5 armies; 7-2=5 armies)

You could just as easily do the same thing with the XML but stagger the progression, it would just be harder to explain.

This would be a fun idea for a small map going the other way: +1 army every 2 teritories.
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas