Conquer Club

Spaceness Map(v0.9 BETA, page 15) [vacation]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby bloknayrb on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Well actually the rings are only two territories... you really think I should just get rid of them?

I made the bombardment the way it is specifically so it encourages different stuff, I don't want players to be able to take the sapenesses from the planets, rather only from the buckle... Does that make sense?

Everything else you said is a good point, I'll make sure to take care of that stuff, thanks.
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Unfortunatly as much as i se the realsim in this map, there is going to need to be some sacrifised.

1. The sun is far to harmfully on the eyes, i would suggest removing it altogether but if you want to keep id definetly suggest moving it to one of te corners so that its not so in your face.

2. I think your boarders could be better coloured, im thinking black with an outer glow of cream of white to try and keep the feel your going for.

3. The terr names seem kind of hard hitting compared to the softness this map is ceating. im not sure at te moment how to combat this thought.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:40 pm

the sun is still too bright, try to dim the color to a darker yellow
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby jako on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:38 pm

perhaps changing from a yellow star to maybe a blue dwarf? the blue wont be as hard hitting to the eyes and the blue is a very passive colour. i believe that maybe solve ur brightness problem as well as allow u to keep ur sun where it is right now, cause i do like its positioning, just not so bright.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby unriggable on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:18 pm

jako wrote:perhaps changing from a yellow star to maybe a blue dwarf? the blue wont be as hard hitting to the eyes and the blue is a very passive colour. i believe that maybe solve ur brightness problem as well as allow u to keep ur sun where it is right now, cause i do like its positioning, just not so bright.

I don't think there is such a thing as a blue dwarf. Only white dwarves, neutron stars, those things (try a neutron star actually).
Cook unriggable

Postby bloknayrb on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Ok, I desaturated the star, I think it should be a bit easier on the eyes now. I recolored the borders between territories, very good call on that one gimil, thanks a lot.
The arrows denoting one way attacks are easier to see now.
I'm not really sure the territory names need changing... At least, I can't really think of any names that would suit this map better than those do.

take a second, geez...

Postby Piestar on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:55 pm

unriggable wrote:
jako wrote:perhaps changing from a yellow star to maybe a blue dwarf? the blue wont be as hard hitting to the eyes and the blue is a very passive colour. i believe that maybe solve ur brightness problem as well as allow u to keep ur sun where it is right now, cause i do like its positioning, just not so bright.

I don't think there is such a thing as a blue dwarf. Only white dwarves, neutron stars, those things (try a neutron star actually).

Blue Dwarf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_dwarf
Sergeant Piestar

Re:Mapage

Postby Piestar on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:03 am

Great looking map, can't wait to play it. I kind of miss the red molten looking area-boundaries, but it's not a big deal.

Onto critque...

The words 'The Buckle' are obscured by odd dark shadows. I'm assuming that is the buckle itself, but its confusing. Plus, with no item, to a new eye, at first I thought 'The Buckle' reffered to Ness 0.

I suspect this was the result of someone elses comments, but you've removed the outer line of the planets, particularly in the lower left, and upper right corners of the map. There would be a slight corona affect, as the suns light past beyond the rim of the planet, plus it would make the map look a little clearer.

If there is any way possible, put the bombardment guidelines in the Legend. It would unclutter the map, and make the text a bit easier to read.

Can't wait!
Sergeant Piestar

Postby jako on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:57 am

thx for showing that blue dwarfs exist to unriggable, piestar :D

it would make the legend too big and cluttered because the bombard instructions right now point out a specific tert on each planet that can bombard a specific ness. if u move all those texts into the legend, there wouldnt be enough room. also, i dont think he can word it any differently so that people understand which tert is able to bombard which ness.

agree with ur other comments though, as well as the fact that the planet borders are now pixelated again. might want to fix that.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby bloknayrb on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:35 am

jako wrote:agree with ur other comments though, as well as the fact that the planet borders are now pixelated again. might want to fix that.

Pixelated? You mean the borders between territories? I don't see any pixelation at all... As for the planets have an outer circle of color... I'll have to see how that looks.

Re:Mapage

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:19 am

Piestar wrote:Great looking map, can't wait to play it. I kind of miss the red molten looking area-boundaries, but it's not a big deal.

Onto critque...

The words 'The Buckle' are obscured by odd dark shadows. I'm assuming that is the buckle itself, but its confusing. Plus, with no item, to a new eye, at first I thought 'The Buckle' reffered to Ness 0.

I suspect this was the result of someone else's comments, but you've removed the outer line of the planets, particularly in the lower left, and upper right corners of the map. There would be a slight corona affect, as the suns light past beyond the rim of the planet, plus it would make the map look a little clearer.

If there is any way possible, put the bombardment guidelines in the Legend. It would unclutter the map, and make the text a bit easier to read.

Can't wait!

Doing good so far.

1. I also liked the molten red lines. These new lines look pretty good as well. Although, for the rings - the territory borders too closely match the ring colors (difficult for color blind people). If you keep the new lines, make the borders on the rings red?

2. I think the pixelation they are talking about is where a planet meets space, not the territory borders. I could be wrong (I don't see anything).

3. One way attack arrows - be consistent in sizing of the arrow heads Brazz and Frazz are huge, Ness 0 is pretty big too - compare to Urnn and Yyz. Color of the arrows is too similar to army circle colors (overlaps and other things).

4. For the legend, make a symbol or something to indicate bombardments:

A. Place the symbols in the locations from which bombards may occur
B. Label the symbols B0 to B6
C. Update legend to [symbol] can Bombard corresponding Ness

5. Army Circles should not overlap important things like names (the Buckle).

6. Once you remove the bombardment text from the map itself - you should move some things around (several things are a bit crowded).

Your Planet names crowd several of your territory names.

The asteroids in the buckle - they need to be more defined (too dark and ambiguous) as they meld into the blackness of space.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby bloknayrb on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Soooo close...

Postby Piestar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:09 am

I like how Aerial Attack's solution to the bombardment issue looks on the new map. (Though it is a little unclear which region of Prax get to bombard 5)

Not sure what they mean by pixelation, but your early maps had a slight glow of yellow on the outside edges of Pheris and Omicron. I think it was aesthetically more pleasing, but not a real game play issue.

The break in the ring of Halo, however, is simply unattractive. I am not sure how to make it better though. If you just want an extra territory, you could make it more like Saturn, and have it be an inner and outer ring. AS you've broken it now, I'm not sure if it's three regions, or if the two little sections are suppose to link behind the planet.

The buckle still needs to be a bit more visible, and defined, but it's much improved.

Do Willey and Klahm have unit circles?

Gosh, I'm itching for this one to get up...
Sergeant Piestar

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:06 pm

You did a good job with all your edits. You still need to fix the sizing issue with regards to one-way attack arrows. They need to have a consistent size and feel. The ones on the top half of the map are big (maybe even huge). The ones on the bottom are small and direct [I like these better].
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby bloknayrb on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:29 pm

The problem with the arrows is that the longer ones give off a different feeling than the shorter ones, and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Willey and Klahm do have circles, but theyre a little hard to see because its white on white. Should I make them darker there?

The rings are two territories, the back and the front, and while I realize that it may be a bit confusing (I'll work on the ugly), I'm not sure of a good way to make it less so. How about this?

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:50 pm

For the arrows, don't make the whole path red. Use a normal path - that way you can add a consistent red arrow to the end of the path. Then the feel will be the same throughout.

Also, the arrows should end either at the terr label or the army circle - don't overlap/crowd things. Frazz, Urnn, and Yyz are crowded. The same applies for all other attack paths. Try to consistently go from terr name to army circle or army circle to terr name or terr name to terr name or army circle to army circle.

I'm not sure what you should do about Willey and Klahm. Darkening the army circles would cause them to be different than the others. You definitely need to do something.

As for the Halo Rings, moving the borders would help. The overlaps with the planet make for good natural borders. Too bad I can't draw - otherwise I could mark up the map and show you what I mean. Maybe move the current border that is near Eef so that it almost overlaps/completes the border between Eef and Erch? I like the blue lines.

Move the Skwint terr name up a pixel or two (crowds Praetos planet label). Just be aware of this - as it will get really bad on the small map. Prax and Krax crowd/overlap as do Halo and Halo 7.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby Coleman on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:07 pm

You may want to try to add a title on your map. Since we can't take one without it.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby bloknayrb on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Anything I've missed?

Postby unriggable on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Stars are pixelated, borders of planets stretch outside the plant, looks awful.
Cook unriggable

Postby bloknayrb on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Stars are pixelated? Each one is only one pixel in size...

space-coolness...

Postby Piestar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Looks great... I like the movement of the ring-divider, and the blue is cool, looks like a laser!

Let's get this puppy up and running!
Sergeant Piestar

Postby Coleman on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Normally I'd wait to confirm with cairnswk to move but he's been really hard to reach today so I'll move you, since you've met all the conditions.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Looks pretty good. I have one thing that is bugging me. The whole area of Halo and Praetos is just too cramped.

If you do the following:

A) move the entire Praetos planet [except the Praetos label] up a few pixels
B) move the entire Halo planet up a few pixels [a couple more than you move Praetos] and over to the right several
C) move the map name [SPACENESS label] up a couple of pixels

It would look a lot less cramped and crowded. You could make out the map name a little better.

Also, I don't think you have to - but it might be nice to thin out the red arrow in the legend so it matches the new red arrows (which are much better).

Finally, switch the Army circle and Bombard symbol on Shin Zon, that way army numbers won't overlap the Bombard symbol. It's a tough territory to have both. Maybe move the Bombard symbol to Deryer?
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby insomniacdude on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Was making Ness 5 impossible to conquer intentional?
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Each Ness object in the ShapeNess group can attack all the other Ness objects. So, Ness 5 is eminently conquerable.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas