Conquer Club

Double Turns and Freestyle Turn Holding

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby lackattack on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Oh, I see. sometimes people never end their fortifications. That's annoying.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby rip_tide on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:50 pm

I definately can't argue with the spirit of how this was designed to play. Being able to take your time and think about stuff is cool, it's only that sometimes I want to get a quick game in and it is almost impossible unless you have some players with the same idea.

As for a premium member package thing that's not a bad idea, however it is nice not having to pay for this site. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the time and effort that went into designing this site and can appreciate it. I myself am a database / web application programmer for a law firm and know how much time goes into something like this. I would not mind making a donation or something like that but depending on how much the premium package will cost we may loose alot of members to the site.

I don't know if the goal was to make money off of this or what future ideas are in store, and don't get me wrong, you can't fault a guy for wanting to make some dollars, I just think that this is such a great idea that I would hate to see it get out of control like other games sites have. Just a thought. :wink:
Cadet rip_tide

time limits for turns

Postby joetalk on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:02 pm

I am all for the time limit thing, if it is an option that the game creator has, and can put out there for others to see before joining, then the same type of players can find each other and battle it out, I too have days to kill and would love to have the ability to find players who are here to do the same and not waist my limited number of game on the go.
I mean I would probably have 4 games that were 24hr turn limits but then i could make my own game for the day and really battle some brains on the same wave length.
joetalk OUT
Cook joetalk

deadbeats not finnishing there turns

Postby joetalk on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:13 pm

im currently in 3 of these game situations, is there or will there be and end to a persons turn as it stands now, or am i stuck waiting till they decide to make there strat move, cause this is stupid, i can handle waiting for other to make their moves (even if it is 24 hrs per player) but what happens to those who havnt even finnished their turn in the last 10 hrs? will there be a solution, I suggest the same as i see here put a limit to time for fortifications, so that if some one does not notice it will just disqualify there option to do so! and therefore move the game on.
Joetalk OUT
Cook joetalk

Postby ZawBanjito on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:05 am

Tooootally agree. I was up until all hours on Wednesday waiting for SOMEone to end their turn so that I didn't have to go last in the round again. But they never did and I woke up late to find my ass kicked. KILL!!

What do we say, 3 hours? 4 hours? I should be long enough that if a person is playing like at work and they get suddenly called away they can do what they want and come back without penalty.
Colonel ZawBanjito

Let Lack decide!

Postby joetalk on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:02 am

I know as an avid player I'd like to take some reall extream measures when it comes to deadbeats, but as some would say let go and let g....
in this case I think we should just sick Da Boss on dem!!! hahaha
Cook joetalk

Postby Twill on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:21 am

Can I request - when you put this in, please also put a time frame in. I.E.

10am-11pm = 20 minute turns
11pm-10am = 8 hour turns
(maybe 3 layers)12-2pm = 5 minute turns

I do want to be able to sleep without missing 24 turns.

Just a thought
Twill
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Forcing Players Who Forgot To End Reenforce To Finish Turns

Postby Asterios on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Could we enact some sort of voting system? E.g. If there are four players in a game, one of them has forgotten to end his turn - after 60 minutes the three players gain the option to vote to continue play.
Private Asterios

Postby Ran Taro on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:34 pm

I reckon there should just be a time limit on turns (1 hour?). There are too many potential abuses/problems otherwise.
Corporal Ran Taro

Postby joetalk on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:46 pm

You've got my vote on limiting turn times somewhat as long as its in the game creation stage, not during a game. well thats just my two cents.
Joetalk OUT
Cook joetalk

Postby ZawBanjito on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:42 am

I was thinking the same thing, Twill, but then what about those of us in different time zones who are asleep when you're awake?
Colonel ZawBanjito

Player getsarmies/attacks/fortifies, and leaves 4 23 hours

Postby Alcibiades on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:57 am

Ok, I know this has been on the board, but it still sux. I have seeen more then a few playes, who are the last ones to play before the next round, start their play, get armies and attack, fortify, and leave untill 23-24 hours untill the day timer allows others who are waiting around play.

Would to be possiable that once you have started, you have to end deploy/attack/fortfitfication after an hour, or the game will automatically end your turn for you?
Corporal 1st Class Alcibiades

Postby cowmonkey on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 pm

I can't remember which chess site has this (either redhotpawn.com or gameknot.com) but you can specify in your user profile how many moves per day you will make (either 1 move per day, a few moves per day, or many moves per day.) If we had this information on this site, then you could specify the minimum amount of moves per day required to join the game, or allow each player the option to abandon the game before making their first move if there were unsatisfactory players who joined the game.

(Not trying to threadjack here) Another idea is to incorporate a user-feedback system, like eBay. Only people who play a game through to completion (i.e. no deadbeats) can rate others in the game, and they can rate on 1 or more categories such as: (1) turn responsiveness, (2) sociability/cooperation, (3) anything else you could think of.. This might bloat your bandwidth and/or space limits lack so probably won't happen, just a thought.
Private 1st Class cowmonkey

Double Turns Option in Team Games

Postby zorba_ca on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:49 pm

It seems that if the No Double Turns option is selected for a team game, then neither member of a team should be able to move first in a round if they or the other team member(s) moved last in the previous round.

The current format allows for the circumventing of the intention of this rule (especially when a team is a couple of friends or workers in adjacent cubicles).

Can we put this to a vote to gage support?
Major zorba_ca

Postby molestar on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 am

never
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

People who dont end fortify

Postby risky on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:13 am

Is there any way to put some sort of time limit in fortifing? People may forget to end there turn occassionally however i am current playing someone in a "double turns allowed" game who, each time, has not finished there turn, and they always gets the first turn each round. Anybody else had this problem?
Private risky

Postby qeee1 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:05 am

It's a cheap tactic in double turn games, but I don't play double turn and use it sometimes. I generally state my intentions while leaving a turn in mid go... ie. I usually use it to form alliances with other players.
Colonel qeee1

Postby hernando cortez on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:54 pm

there should definately be a time limit on fortification. it is not a valid tactic and it only wastes veryones time.
Captain hernando cortez

Postby qeee1 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 pm

You can negotiate mid turn in offline risk games, so I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed do it here. Limit it for double turn games if you want, but not for all.
Colonel qeee1

Postby hernando cortez on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:33 pm

the reason why it is a pric move is the whole game grinds to halt while you wait for an answer. in offline games this can be handled in a quick conversation but online its not possible
Captain hernando cortez

Postby elebdae on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:07 pm

Ans that strategy only shows how much you're not able to adapt your tactic. For a good RISK player, you should be able to anticipate the moves of your opponent and move accordingly in the same time frame.
I think people should have a maximum of 25 minutes per turn ( from the time they push "Begin turn" to the time they press "End fortifictaions"). If you want to make alliances, do it after/before your turn and don't let people wait to see how your gonna move your troops to defend the country they are attaking while they are playing...that's not really in the optic of the original board game...
Sergeant elebdae

Postby kingwaffles on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:15 pm

I agree 100 percent with all this, I'm in a game doubles game right now with two people who wait until 5 minutes before the end of their turns to finish and its making the game drag out forever.....
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

My personal gripe

Postby B-Vaughn on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:05 pm

Lackattack.....my suggestion is to limit a timeframe for a turn (say 15 mins total) ...I see folks opening a turn and lollygagging hoping to watch everyone else in order to maximize their attacks / fortifications..in this particular game the individual has had their turn open for a half hour reacting to others' moves....my bitch is that I have 2 countries and 5 cards and if the person would have ended thier turn then the game would be open for all to play and I would have a chance to live....I guess my chances are pretty much the same either way, but it is SELFISH and controlling and I get enough of that in the real world!! Probably just being petty and childish myself but I figure you play and go on.....
Private 1st Class B-Vaughn

Postby qeee1 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:24 pm

I used to argue the other side, but I can see just how much it can be abused, so now I'll say that yeah sure implement it if you want but 15mins is not enough.
Colonel qeee1

Fixing Turn Ending

Postby JonasKBlack on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:09 pm

How about you make Team Games Sequential by TEAM but FREESTYLE by players.

EXAMPLE: Team A can all move in Freestyle but they end their turn as a team and Team B can move in Freestyle and then they end their turn.

This would end people who just keep their turn open to wait for the other players to go because there would be no benefit to it. I hope this makes sense because I think it is a good solution for both sides of this argument.
Corporal 1st Class JonasKBlack

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions