Conquer Club

Middle America Map {Advanced Draft} ~ NEW UPDATE 2.3!!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Fireside Poet on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Font #5 in my book is the best one.
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby sully800 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:52 pm

I like font #2 and #5.

I also think the attack routes are a bit too faint. And the curves make them even more confusing. All the curving routes bettween the lesser antilles is very hard to follow I think. Why not just use straight lines?
Major sully800

Postby happysadfun on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:23 am

maritovw wrote:i'm using the local language to write the name of each territory and continent, i like it better that way... but if everyone else thinks i should put them all in english, i can do that too... just lemme know what you all think :wink:

i've just added a new update of the map, so check it out and speak!

i have one question though, what should be the size of the circles?? and, is this size the same on both maps (small and large) or should it be smaller in the small map?

if the title of the map ends up in english, put the continents in english. if it ends up in spanish, keep them the same.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:30 pm

I vote Nueva Espana
and fonts 1 or 5
2 is too comic book to be on an olde world map
3 is too uptight & unflamboyant for this area of the world & hard to read, too
4 is just too informal for a map of this stature, it's also kind of a title font, rather than a 'body text' one...
just my opinions though
Personally, I really like the curved routes, again I think they add to the theme, but I do think they could be in a clearer colour, and maybe the gaps and/or dashes could be shorter too. That might also help the clarity...
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby ChiefManyFeet on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Font 5 and keep the curves baby...

And maybe making the curves the same white as the font would help...
Private 1st Class ChiefManyFeet

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Im with fluffy, fonts 1 or 5 (1 is better to me).
Yeah, the routes suck. Make them clearer. I would suggest complete lines, but smaller gaps could work too.

More little things:
Some continents have many borders... mainly central america and greater antilles. Maybe you should remove the connection betwenn Jamaica and Honduras.

Do we really need that country called Mississipi? The name is big, so it doesnt fit well. You could change the name, or merge with another country (this would bring the number of countries to 42 again). If you want maintain the main structure the same, maybe you could split texas.

I still think the names to the little islands are not ok. The names dont need be exact. You can change some names, using names of the capitals or something alike. For example, how about Dominica instead of R. Dominicana? Or Trinidad instead of Trinidad & Tobago? So you could probably make the names clear, without confusion. For same purpose, you could remove the "DT" of México "DT".

The Bahamas country is confusing. Please delete the smallest non-necessary islands.

The continent bonuses could have an adjustment. If you realy delete the route Jamaica Honduras, bonuses could be:
Small Islands - 2
Bigger Islands - 3
South America and USA - 4
Central America - 5
Mexico 6 (or 7)

Are you planning some final art? Maybe a skull and crossed bones :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby happysadfun on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 am

dominica is a separate country from dominican republic (republica dominicana) not the same. at all. as for fonts, i agree with fluffy and marvaddin
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby maritovw on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:05 pm

i hadn't had time to work on this but, finally, here it is, my latest UPDATE:

things changed:
- removed mississippi (good idea marv)
- changed the attack routes (made them clearer and made the gaps smaller)
- kept font no. 5
- added some images
- deleted some islands in bahamas and drew the big ones together
- attack routes in Bahamas & Lesser Antilles are drawn from the army shadow, not from an island (to avoid confusion)
- changed the title again (in accordance to the poll)

i don't feel like deleting the route between Jamaica and Honduras because without it the map would become too circular...
Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Postby happysadfun on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Great map.

Cadet happysadfun

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 am

final forge anyone?
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:59 am

Really, final forge :)

Plus:
1) Lets add something to the space over the legend?? Maybe something aztec. Or a spanish shield?

2) We can use some little adjusts to the bonuses. Mexico have same number of borders and routes of Central America, and 1 more country, but a smaller bonus. I suggested already some changes, maybe you can think about.

3) How about change the position of some names? If you move Zelaya a bit down, you can move Honduras a bit far from Peten. And Jamaica a bit to the left, so you can put Haiti under the circle and connect the routs to that Haiti "arm". Well, I dont know if this would make it looks better, maybe you could test.

4) The border countries of SA are all connected to exactly one country. And in fact the expansion from SA is pretty easy... maybe you could add a route between Venezuela and, hmmm... Puerto Rico? (Or other country?)

5) Im a bit worried. Will be easy to realize Virgin Islands belong to Lesser Antilles with the numbers over it? Maybe an island out of the circle could be useful.

Great map, cant wait to play :D
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:02 am

Marvaddin wrote:Really, final forge :)

5) Im a bit worried. Will be easy to realize Virgin Islands belong to Lesser Antilles with the numbers over it? Maybe an island out of the circle could be useful.

Great map, cant wait to play :D

Discworld has a huge problem like that.. I agree.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:32 am

beautiful map.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Fireside Poet on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:26 am

Something with Blackbeard for the legend background (like the skull and crossbones) would be fantastic! (opinions are nearly worthless tho) -- great map and excellent work.
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby ChiefManyFeet on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 am

Your map is beatiful...I can't wait to play. :D
Private 1st Class ChiefManyFeet

Postby Evil Pope on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:04 pm

This map kicks ass.. Sorry, I don't really have anything else to add..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:11 pm

Final Forge

---The Caribbean Map has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry furnace and have examined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. There will be two days for you to post any objections; if no one has posted any protest after two days the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. If after two days there is still discussion going on it may continue until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:13 pm

And to start things off, I notice that a few of the army shadow circles seem to have different proportions, or at least to my eyes.

---Take Durango and Texas. The circles visually look different in size. As do a few others.

Edit: I checked and they seem to be different sizes.

--Andy
(P.S. Nice to finally put another map in Final Forge)
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby happysadfun on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:20 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:And to start things off, I notice that a few of the army shadow circles seem to have different proportions, or at least to my eyes.

---Take Durango and Texas. The circles visually look different in size. As do a few others.

--Andy
(P.S. Nice to finally put another map in Final Forge)

They look like that but they really aren't. i checked

Cadet happysadfun

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Love the map, but the sharks look like their floating in the sky to me...
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:01 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:Love the map, but the sharks look like their floating in the sky to me...

I didn't notice the sharks, but yes. Now that i see them they do look like flying sharks. But what's wrong with that?

Cadet happysadfun

Postby maritovw on Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:16 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I notice that a few of the army shadow circles seem to have different proportions

hmmm... you seem to be right... Baja California, Durango and Chihuahua are larger... i'm correcting that in the next update...

Marvaddin wrote:1)... 5)

1) i was thinking about adding something there, and maybe i can change the flying sharks...

2) maybe changing Mexico's to 6? what do you think?

3) good catch, i'm changing that

4) yeah, i had noticed that... i think i will add the route between Venezuela and Puerto Rico

5) (same as no. 3)

i'll also work on the small version...

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:17 pm

Oh, well, little movement here in last days...

I agree with your other bonuses, but I would give Mexico a 7. Adding one more route, you can give South America a 4.
Major Marvaddin

Postby maritovw on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:07 pm

does anyone have another comment/idea?? cause i don't feel like making lots of little updates to change only a small thing... i'd prefer updating many things at once

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

You could make the border between El S and Managua clearer.

Cadet happysadfun

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas