Conquer Club

Map Paradox

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Paradox

Postby Blitzkreig on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:01 pm

Now I know many of you will disagree but I was just thinking.

If the original (classic) map is "right," that is all the continents are well balanced, right number of countries, etc., etc. Basically that the original map is right, wouldn't all other maps be simply duplicates of the classic map if the duplicates were fair and balanced?

Now don't get me wrong I like playing on other maps but I was just thinking about this the other day and wanted to see what you guys and gals thought.
Cook Blitzkreig

Postby qeee1 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:06 pm

The original map is right in that it's balanced, but it's possible to have another map that has a very different layout to the classic one, while still remaining balanced. A different layout means different strategies can be employed making the game more interesting.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:21 pm

... with stuff like the "Great Wall of China", a on-way border, thrown in to make it interesting.

... As for the non-Classic maps I've played to date, Asia is a lot of fun. The new European map is fun, but a little hard (or maybe just poor skill and bad luck on my part).

... It's tough to make a balanced map that's fun to play on, I think. I finished a British Isles map that looks pretty good... but looking good and being good to play on are not the same thing, obviously. Time will tell.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby dragonlance on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:44 am

the classic map isn't 100% balanced... North America is teh best and strongest continent to start with, you get that, you have a good chance of winning:p
Private 1st Class dragonlance

Return to Foundry Discussions