Conquer Club

Staffing Change and News

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Staffing Change and News

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:36 am

Staffing Change and News

Ahoy Ahoy Everyone,

Coleman and I come bearing some unfortunate and fortunate news, though we’ll start with the unfortunate. Our beloved Cartography Assistant (C.A.), Cairnswk, is stepping down so he can get back to what he really loves focusing his energy on, plain and simple, map making. This announcement is bittersweet, as he’s been a wonderful C.A., but now his resignation will allow him to get back to pumping out those new maps, unfettered. We wish you well, Cairnswk, on all your next projects! We’re happy to hear you will be sticking around the Foundry.

Now on to some more fortunate news, Coleman and I know there is a lot of talk in the Foundry about the production, the process, and the people. A number of users are taking on the burden of getting the Foundry a little more recognition and participation through various methods and ways. Coleman and I would like to continue to encourage this, and we’ll support all positive efforts to get more people active here in the Foundry. Coleman and I will be working on some things behind the scenes which we hope will also improve the process and the general atmosphere of the Foundry. We also hope that with phpBB 3.0 (for those unfamiliar, I encourage you to google search it) we will be able to slightly restructure and REVAMP the Foundry so it is in better working order and much more user-friendly. We can make the Foundry better and better. We all just have to act cool, be responsive and respectful to one another, and put forth some effort. With that all, good change will occur.

And lastly, a small addendum to this announcement, Coleman and I've slightly altered the How Maps Progress Through the Foundry Thread to clear up some confusion regarding large maps and the 'minimum increase' that is needed to make it a large map. The changes are in red.
1. SMALL MAP: WIDTH up to 600 px; HEIGHT recommended to not to exceed 350 px but no greater than 600 px

2. LARGE MAP: WIDTH up to 800 px and must be at least 100 px wider than the small map; HEIGHT recommended to not exceed 600 px but no greater than 800 px. Keep in mind if the map is too high, players have to scroll down to attack and that it must also be at least 100 px taller than the small map.

Thanks everyone! Now lets get back to Map-Making!

--Andy & Coleman
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:59 am

:(
Captain oaktown

Postby Wisse on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:01 am

goodluck cairns ;) your maps are great and the decision is yours
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:00 am

Big hairy boos.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby rebelman on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:29 am

as someone who has taken more of an interest in the foundry in recent times it seems a shame to me that a cart assistant that was showing a genuine interest in the views of us outsiders and new people is now gone. In terms of opening the foundry up more losing cairns is a huge mistake and i hope he can be encouraged to reconsider.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:15 am

why mate? :cry:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:16 pm

Guys & Gals...just for the record....

Yes i stepped down myself so that i could concentrate more on the maps, thats what i prefer and enjoy doing the most.

Twill made a post recently in another forum, and stated that if you no longer enjoy what you came here to do, then don't stay in that position.

Basically, there is a lot of reading and PMing and being aware of what everyone is saying in the foundry, to the deteriment that i wasn't getting any time to do maps, i was spending all my time doing mod stuff and all that administration is a double up of what i do in real life for a job. Not good for my soul. The creative part of my mapmaking (even though it too has some hastles from time to time) was the balance that i had before and worked well.

Having a double-banger attack from outsiders made it even more adverse to hang around and if you know anything about life as i do coz i'm somewhat older than probably most of you, if you don't cope in a situation, you step back from it and re-group (to put it in battle terms)

So I am doing that.

I will still be around to do maps and post here and there.

Thanks to all of you who have posted support messages, and of course i always wish everyone the very best in your endeavours.
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:05 pm

well what can i say? i understand your reasons and i hate you cause you don't have superhuman powers to be both a map maker and a mod.

cheers mate.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Well Thanks for all of the hard work you put in. At least you are not leaving CC.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby hulmey on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:02 am

Very sad day for CC indeed. probably the best Mod CC ever had!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:50 am

hulmey wrote:Very sad day for CC indeed. probably the best Mod CC ever had!

Hulmey...we don't always agree on things, and we give each other a little curry from time to time, but i appreciate your sentiments. :) However that is a very big call to make, and i don't think that can be justified over a period of only six to eight weeks.

And to show i'm still observing...your signature graphic (unless there has been a change to policy) is out of size. Sorry. LOL :wink: :lol:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby wicked on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:54 am

cairnswk wrote:And to show i'm still observing...your signature graphic (unless there has been a change to policy) is out of size. Sorry. LOL :wink: :lol:

yes he's been warned already and yet there it still is. :roll:
Major wicked

cairn

Postby WL_southerner on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:55 am

sad to see you go has a mod cairn, but we get the added pleasure of seeing your maps
friends :- come and go _ i have loads of them
mates :- go and come back_only have a few
Leatsa, dh'fhàgainnsa...
Corporal WL_southerner

Postby spinwizard on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:58 am

This seams like the right way to go, good luck m8 :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Coleman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Although this is mostly about cairnswk.

The new size rule has been adjusted to this: "Large maps must be noticably larger than their small map, if you must have specifics 9% larger is required, but 33.3% is recommended."

Also, for anyone wondering, we are going to try working back in the older way of Andy - 1 Subordinate (Me). If this turns out to not be working for most of you than we may acquire 1 or 2 more or adjust accordingly in some other fashion.

Hopefully I can be active enough and reasonable enough that more management won't be necessary. :)
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby RjBeals on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:31 pm

You did a superb job cairnswk. And you make some badass maps. Glad you stumbled upon cc and decided to contribute. see ya around!
Private RjBeals

Cairnswk

Postby Elijah S on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:13 pm

Cairnswk... thank you for all of your help with my project!
I know I was impatient and sometimes resisted making the suggested changes, but I can honestly say that, had it not been for your and Coleman's help, I'd have probably just quit at some point.

Your contributions to the Foundry have been far-reaching and left a positive mark!

I'm glad you'll be continuing to make maps!
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Return to Foundry Discussions