Conquer Club

Clickable Maps :: Version 3.21

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Clickable Maps :: Version 3.21

Postby edthemaster on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:21 am

<update 8 (ManB)>

Yeti_C has handed responsibility of clickable maps development over to sherkaner. The most recent installation details can be found in this thread.

<update 7 (Twill)>

Edthemaster, the original developer of this thread has gone on (hopefully) temporary walkabouts.
Yeti_C has taken on the bug squashing task in this post

The most recent Yeti version is at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/32305 but hopefully ed will return to pick up his fantastic script.

WARNING Version 3.21 below will NOT work on some maps due to recent changes! Use the script above.

<UPDATE 6>

Version 3.21

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/13824

-[feature] no more worrying about what order the scripts are loaded!
-[feature] army counter now appears over teammate territories, too.
-[feature] auto-attack[x]. (see user guide under 'special attacks')
-[feature] auto-advance. (see user guide under 'special attacks')
-[feature] color-coded from-markers and outer border of the map to easily distinguish between phases. option to toggle map border between thin, thick, and off.
-[feature] changed how script refreshes (it's faster and more reliable now)
-[feature] 'refresh map' hotkey
-[feature] added id property to all image elements and army counter (to make them easier for other monkeys to find, all image ids start with 'cm-')
-[fixed bug] from-marker goes away now after winning a game
-[feature/fixed bug] confirmation settings for deploy, phase end, and auto-attack are not available from the clickable maps menu if BOB is running (to prevent conflicts/double-confirmations)
-[feature] to prevent conflicts with BOB's hud, the floating action menu is not available when BOB is running
-[feature] close [x] is always visible when viewing the user guide
-[fixed bug] mousing over the map in a spectator game no longer causes errors

</UPDATE 6>

<UPDATE 5>

Version 2.4

NOTE: Before installing this version, please delete the previous version(s). Otherwise you will have two Clickable Maps scripts running at the same time and stuff won't work right :( This should only be necessary when upgrading to this version (2.4), and future updates should not require uninstallation of the old script first. My apologies for the inconvenience...

With this version, Clickable Maps now works with the site XML update.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/13824

- [feature] mouse wheel only increases/decreases armies if over map. otherwise it will scroll the page as usual
- [feature] added user guide
- [feature] checks BOB's confirmation settings so that confirmations for a given action are only enabled for one script at a time.
- [fixed bug] site xml updated caused script to stop working

</UPDATE 5>

<UPDATE 4>

Version 2.2

- [fixed bug] clicking too fast disables script until page is reloaded
- [feature] cursor changes to hourglass while script is processing

</UPDATE 4>

<UPDATE 3>

Version 2.1

- [feature] re-added shift-click for auto-attack and fortify-to
- [feature] option to turn off floating army quantity indicator
- [feature] added "begin turn" hotkey
- [feature] option to choose between right-click or left-click to deploy 1 or deploy selected

</UPDATE 3>

<UPDATE 2>

Happy birthday CC! Clickable Maps version 2.0 is now available at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/13824.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR BOB USERS:
    * After installing this script, right-click the Greasemonkey icon in the bottom-right corner, select Manage User Scripts..., and make sure BOB is above Clickable Maps in the list on the left. Otherwise the new Clickable Maps visuals (cross hairs, friendly marker, advance marker) may not show up on the map, and BOB's Map Inspect feature may not work properly.

* Also, on some maps, if the Map Opacity is set to 100%, then the new Clickable Maps visuals may not show up either. I suggest setting the opacity to, at most, 70%; if you experience this problem, that is.

* If any of you coders out there can figure out a way around either of these issues, I'm all ears! :)

Again, thanks to all who provided feedback, sorry to those who had problems with the last version, and please keep the feedback coming!

Here's a list of changes in this version:

- [feature] improved help (again). tool-tips appear with simple instructions when mousing over the map (option to turn off)
- [feature] frienldy attack-from/advance-from/fortify-from marker (option to turn off)
- [feature] advance-to marker (option to turn off)
- [feature] confirm phase end (option to turn off)
- [feature] automatically check userscripts.org for updates once per session, and a 'Check for Updates' menu item.
- [feature] customizable hotkeys, option to disable hotkeys
- [feature] quantity indicator appears when territory is moused-over during deploy, advance, and fortify phases
- [feature] right-click for auto-attack and fortify-to
- [feature] tooltips appear when a territory is moused-over to show what will happen when clicked (ie. "Advance 6" or "Deploy 32") (option to turn off)
- [feature] crosshairs appear over attackable enemies (option to turn off)
- [feature] condensed, categorized menus
- [fixed bug] sometimes an error displays when trying to switch from one attacking, friendly territory to another
- [fixed bug] advancing does not work if player attacks without clicking the map
- [fixed bug] cannot chat during your turn because the 'e' key is used to end phases (all hotkeys are now ignored while chatting)

</UPDATE 2>

<UPDATE 1>
New version: 1.0

New features
* Improved help
* Options menu to turn on/off confirmations, etc.
* Option to use mouse wheel to select number of armies
* Auto-attack function
* Option to deploy 1 army per click
* "Intelligent" clicks: clicking on any friendly territory automatically sets that territory as the attacking territory, and clicking on an enemy (without having to hold SHIFT) automatically attacks that territory.

Thanks to all who provided feedback and, as always, keep the feedback coming!
</UPDATE 1>

With this script you can click the map to select the territory you want to deploy to, attack from/to etc. It could probably still use some work, but I wanted to post an early release so people can try it out and give me some feedback for improvements.

One thing in particular I was looking for feedback on is the fact that the action menu now floats at the top of the screen so you don't have to scroll down to see what territories or how many armies are selected on larger maps---but I can see how it might be annoying so please let me know if it is.

It was tested alongside BOB with no apparent issues (but I wasn't paying as close attention to BOB, so if anyone finds that it breaks BOB, please let me know).

Here's the link to install it: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/13824

PS: Thanks to the authors of BOB for a few code snippets :wink:
Last edited by edthemaster on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:11 am, edited 9 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class edthemaster

Re: New Greasemonkey Script: Clickable Maps!

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:58 am

edthemaster wrote:With this script you can click the map to select the territory you want to deploy to, attack from/to etc. It could probably still use some work, but I wanted to post an early release so people can try it out and give me some feedback for improvements.

One thing in particular I was looking for feedback on is the fact that the action menu now floats at the top of the screen so you don't have to scroll down to see what territories or how many armies are selected on larger maps---but I can see how it might be annoying so please let me know if it is.

It was tested alongside BOB with no apparent issues (but I wasn't paying as close attention to BOB, so if anyone finds that it breaks BOB, please let me know).

Here's the link to install it: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/13824

PS: Thanks to the authors of BOB for a few code snippets :wink:

Quick question... did you test against AJAX & AJAX BOB?

Or did you test against non AJAX stuff?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edthemaster on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:41 am

yeti_c wrote:Quick question... did you test against AJAX & AJAX BOB?

C.

C,

I tested it against the latest AJAX-compatible version of BOB (v2.15)

-ed

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:23 am

edthemaster wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Quick question... did you test against AJAX & AJAX BOB?

C.

C,

I tested it against the latest AJAX-compatible version of BOB (v2.15)

-ed

Superb work...

I've not looked at it yet - but good work...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edthemaster on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:43 am

thanks c. you, too.

Postby hecter on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:25 pm

I installed it. GREAT JOB! Though, it would be nice if you could advance too. I've only given it one quick test run though... I'll give you a bit more feedback soon.

MORE FEEDBACK: You might want to specify that you have to click on the army circle and not just the territory. Also, an option menu like BOB has would be nice, so you could disable confirmations. Otherwise, great job! :D

EVEN MORE FEEDBACK: In one game my armies disappeared. Don't know why... And lastly, if you could specify an autoattack, say shift+control+click or something like that...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Twill on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Wow.

We've been talking about adding this for a while...well done :)

I'll test it out later and give ya some feedback.

Well done.
Twill
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:53 pm

wow this is awesome! just want to say your quick help might find a better location to be in but im fine with it there and that you need to add that you need to select number of armies in the quick help
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Twill on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:55 pm

Ok, couple quick observations:

Would be nice to have the old drop-downs as well.

Would be nice to be able to move the floating menu (I assume it's supposed to float?)

Configurable keys would be nice, but far from urgent

Havn't actually used it yet, no active games...I'll let you know more once I move with it.

<edit1>
Need an option to turn off confirmations

Click multiple times to increase/decrease armies and/or "move maximum troops" option for fortification. (i.e. when fortifying, you have to use the dropdown to change the number of armies at which point it's faster to use the menu, defeating the purpose of the clickable maps) But still be able to use the drop down.

Shortcut keys to "advance" "end attacks" and "end fortify"

Or at the very least, force the focus to the button so that we can just press enter.

Would be nice to give it some more intelligence:
  • on click 1 -> select attack from territory
  • on click 2
    • if new territory = adjacent territory -> select attack to territory and attack
    • if new territory = non-adjacent territory -> select as attack from
  • if double click territory -> select as attack from regardless of previous click.

And again, let us custom define double click/single click?
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:15 pm

plus make a short cut for auto attack, i use it so much i find myself not taking advantage of this great script
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby edthemaster on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:25 pm

hecter wrote:I installed it. GREAT JOB! Though, it would be nice if you could advance too. I've only given it one quick test run though... I'll give you a bit more feedback soon.

MORE FEEDBACK: You might want to specify that you have to click on the army circle and not just the territory. Also, an option menu like BOB has would be nice, so you could disable confirmations. Otherwise, great job! :D

EVEN MORE FEEDBACK: In one game my armies disappeared. Don't know why... And lastly, if you could specify an autoattack, say shift+control+click or something like that...

Hecter, did only your armies disappear? Is this something that has never happened until you tried this script? Come to think of it, I think I've had that happen to me before, too--but I don't think I had even created the script yet.... I just don't wanna troubleshoot something that was already happening....but please let me know if it keeps happening.

Twill wrote:Would be nice to give it some more intelligence:

* on click 1 -> select attack from territory
* on click 2
o if new territory = adjacent territory -> select attack to territory and attack
o if new territory = non-adjacent territory -> select as attack from

* if double click territory -> select as attack from regardless of previous click.

And again, let us custom define double click/single click?

Twill, great feedback, and I especially like the "intelligent click" idea. I'll see what I can do. I wonder if the custom keys might be more work than it's worth, but I will look into that also.

Twill wrote:Click multiple times to increase/decrease armies and/or "move maximum troops" option for fortification. (i.e. when fortifying, you have to use the dropdown to change the number of armies at which point it's faster to use the menu, defeating the purpose of the clickable maps) But still be able to use the drop down.

I've been thinking about how to handle the whole number-of-armies thing, and I'm considering maybe just using the arrow keys....what do you think? In fact, during deployment/advancement/fortification, I could set the focus to the number-of-armies dropdown, then you could use the up-down or left-right arrow keys to change the value?

Based on the suggestions so far, I think the next update will include an options menu (confirmations, custom keys?), more info in the help, and definitely an auto-attack shortcut. I'll also work on shortcut keys to move minimum or maximum number of armies for deployment/advancement/fortification.

Thanks to all for your feedback so far!
Ed

Postby Twill on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Well, if you got rid of the confirmation button, multiple clicks would allow you to deploy/fortify 1 at a time, I guess.

Could you create a dropdown list for number of armies at the cursor point when you click? (i.e. click on country, drop-down appears over the country to select number of men, that sends number to the actual drop down...or replaces it?)
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:34 am

I installed the script and played a couple of turns with it. I don't think I will keep it installed for now, but I do think it has some serious promise.

My opinions on what the best options to add next are:

1. Make the palette moveable as Twill suggested earlier.
2. Have the option for turning off the confirmations.
3. Make it so that you can have the option to place one army at a time with each click. That would make it SO much more appealing to me personally.
4. With #3 you could make it so there is a running count of how many armies you have left to place somewhere on the palette.

Those are just my first few thoughts. I'll keep my eye on the thread and re-install when you've added an update and give more feedback then.

Awesome job so far!

Regards, Optimus Prime
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Lobster Crush on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:45 am

edthemaster wrote:
I've been thinking about how to handle the whole number-of-armies thing, and I'm considering maybe just using the arrow keys....what do you think? In fact, during deployment/advancement/fortification, I could set the focus to the number-of-armies dropdown, then you could use the up-down or left-right arrow keys to change the value?

great work on this ed. i was actually going to suggest just forcing the focus to the number-of-armies dropdown...the advantage to this is that you can use the arrow keys, or just hit the number you want (like the 5 key, etc.).

i love using the script so far. the game becomes much smoother with one hand on the mouse and one on the shift key.

thanks,
lc
Sergeant 1st Class Lobster Crush

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:10 am

Lobster Crush wrote:
edthemaster wrote:

great work on this ed. i was actually going to suggest just forcing the focus to the number-of-armies dropdown...the advantage to this is that you can use the arrow keys, or just hit the number you want (like the 5 key, etc.).

i love using the script so far. the game becomes much smoother with one hand on the mouse and one on the shift key.

thanks,
lc

I've not looked at this one - but lobster - does this script work OK for you? Does BOB work for you properly yet?

Cheers,

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Lobster Crush on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:22 am

yeti_c wrote:
I've not looked at this one - but lobster - does this script work OK for you? Does BOB work for you properly yet?

Cheers,

C.

hi yeti,

yes, this script is working fine for me. still no luck with BOB, but i'm still working through my list of extensions to isolate the problem.

lc
Sergeant 1st Class Lobster Crush

Postby edthemaster on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:18 pm

If I edit my original post, does it generate an email alert to anyone watching the post? I wasn't sure so I will post a reply. I updated the clickable maps script. See my original post on this topic for details

Ed

Postby Coleman on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:23 pm

I'm late to the party but this is the greatest thing ever.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Herakilla on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:58 pm

its really annoying when you advance if the spot where the ajax symbol shows up isnt on the screen it moves down to that spot. i liked the floating action bar but is there anyway you can customize where that bar appears? that way every1 can have it where they want and then if its on the screen the screen wont jump down when you advance after attacking
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby edthemaster on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:45 am

Herakilla wrote:its really annoying when you advance if the spot where the ajax symbol shows up isnt on the screen it moves down to that spot. i liked the floating action bar but is there anyway you can customize where that bar appears? that way every1 can have it where they want and then if its on the screen the screen wont jump down when you advance after attacking

do you have BOB running with the "jump to map" option on?

Postby Herakilla on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:07 am

edthemaster wrote:
Herakilla wrote:its really annoying when you advance if the spot where the ajax symbol shows up isnt on the screen it moves down to that spot. i liked the floating action bar but is there anyway you can customize where that bar appears? that way every1 can have it where they want and then if its on the screen the screen wont jump down when you advance after attacking

no it jumps to the action bar under the map not the map itself, sorry if that wasnt clear. and bob's jump to map isnt on
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby edthemaster on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:35 am

Herakilla wrote:
edthemaster wrote:

no it jumps to the action bar under the map not the map itself, sorry if that wasnt clear. and bob's jump to map isnt on

weird. i tried to reproduce your problem by changing the options around and the only time i saw the problem you described is when i turned on 'jump to map'. other than that, i have not seen this problem at all.

is anyone else having this problem?

just to be sure, try uninstalling clickable maps completely, and then re-installing it. maybe the last version is still there and it is conflicting with the new one? again, i haven't seen this problem, so i'm not sure that making the floating action bar movable would fix it. that is something i can add to a future version anyway...

Postby Night Strike on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:35 pm

As it is now, a player can't type in the chat box while the turn is still active because it thinks that typing an "e" there is ending your attack/fortification. I have confirmations on, but that didn't stop it for some reason. Maybe see if the chat box can be separated.
Major Night Strike

Postby Herakilla on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:49 pm

edthemaster wrote:
Herakilla wrote:
edthemaster wrote:

weird. i tried to reproduce your problem by changing the options around and the only time i saw the problem you described is when i turned on 'jump to map'. other than that, i have not seen this problem at all.

is anyone else having this problem?

just to be sure, try uninstalling clickable maps completely, and then re-installing it. maybe the last version is still there and it is conflicting with the new one? again, i haven't seen this problem, so i'm not sure that making the floating action bar movable would fix it. that is something i can add to a future version anyway...

ok heres exactly what happens.

i deploy using the click. ive scrolled upwards so i cant actually see the deploy buttons or army number to deploy. it doesnt jump. when i attack i use the click (i auto attack almost all the time so shift+click lol) it doesnt jump when i take the territory i attacked. when i click the territory to advance, no matter how many armies i advanced (0 or whatever) it will jump down to the advance button. and this happens when i fortify as well
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Twill on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Sorry for not picking up on this sooner, those look like some great updates, I'll add my thoughts as soon as I get into the game.

Great work mate!
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Next

Return to Tool Archives