Conquer Club

Solar System Invitational 1/9/8 - 4 Prizes - (76/96)

Tournaments that are no longer happening

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Solar System Invitational 1/9/8 - 4 Prizes - (76/96)

Postby maxdetjens on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:09 pm

Huzzah! Solar System is done. If you compare the original concept to the final product you can see it went a long way. This could have only happened with the thread contributors pushing me to do better. I thank you all for your valuable input. As a way to celebrate your contribution I would like to announce the "Solar System Invitational"

Solar System Invitational

***TOURNAMENT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC***
***PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP IS NOT REQUIRED TO ENTER THIS TOURNAMENT***

Tournament Start Date: January 9th, 2008

Individual Prize: 1-year premium membership
3 Team Prizes: 1-year premium membership

Note: All times are Mountain (GMT -7). Thatā€™s 2 hours behind the east coast and an hour ahead of the west coast.

General Information:
There are 96 spots in this tournament. The Tournament is open to the public.

Settings:
Each of the 3 rounds in this tournament will feature a the solar system map and different settings. They are as follows:

First Round (16 six-player Heats): Solar System (6 player terminator) flat cards Cards, Unlimited Fortifications, No Fog, Sequential.
Second Round:(16-team single-elimination bracket) (3 player teams) Escalating Cards, Chained Fortifications, No Fog, Freestyle
Third Round: (1 game six-player free-for-all) Flat Rate Cards, adjacent Fortifications. Fog, sequential

Gameplay:
All invitees and public players will be added to the same list. Numbers 1-96 will get seeded into the heats, those under #96 will be held in reserve. Invitees who donā€™t respond before the 11/26 deadline will be dropped and everyone bellow will move up the list. Players who deadbeat a game will be disqualified and the next reserve position will be invited to take their place. This can happen even in late rounds so if youā€™re a high reserve you may well get a free ride from a dead beatā€¦ Congratulations!

Round 1
Seeding:
Players will be grouped into 16 six-man heats. Those games will be terminator with the settings listed above. The players will be spread-seeded across the heats (so #1 will be in heat 1; #2 in heat 2; ā€¦ #16 in heat 16; #17 in heat 1; #18 in heat 2 etc.). Iā€™ll be updating the next post as I get entries.

Winning:
The last man standing in each heat will qualify for the next round. The top two (or next two) highest scores (points won in the heat by defeating opponents less the points you lost if you die) will also move on to the next round. In the event of a tie the player who joined the game first will get the nod to move on. So join your game as fast as you can to get the tie breaker.

Schedule:
Games will be started between 4pm and 5pm (mountain) on January 9th. Should a heat be filled with confirmed players sooner and all players agree I may consider starting individual heats sooner.

Round 2
Seeding:
The 48 qualifying players will be placed on a list in order of their score in Round 1. 3 man Teams will be made with the most like scores. Said another way. Players scoring 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be on team 1, players ranking 4th, 5th and 6th will be on team 2 etc.

Format:
A standard 16 team bracket will be used with standard power-protect seeding. Team 1 to play 16, 2 to play 15, 3 to play 14 etc. This is a single elimination round.

Winning:
The final wining team of the final game is the ā€œteam winnerā€. Those players each get the team prize. All 6 participants (all players from both teams) in the final game will qualify for round 3.

Schedule: I cannot seed the teams until all heats are completed. As such I suspect that Round 2 games will not start until at least January 14th. Iā€™ll announce when as things shake out

Round 3:
Seeding:
All 6 participants (all players from both teams) in the final game of round 2 will qualify for round 3.

Winning: round three is a single 6 man free-for-all game. The winner is the ā€œindividual winnerā€ and will receive the individual prize above.

Schedule:
Once the final game of Round 2 is underway the single game of round 3 will also start.

Important Notes:

1. All players are expected to report to their games within 48 hours of having a PM sent to them. If they do not join they will be in danger of being replaced with a reserve player or dropped. Reminders WILL NOT be sent as this is such a large tournament.

2. If you have another player who is currently on your ignore list that is assigned to a game with you, you will be asked to remove them from your ignore list for the duration of that game. If you are not willing to do this then you will be asked to remove yourself from the competition.

3. By signing up you are saying you wish to play.

4. All ranks are eligible to participate. Premium membership is not required but youā€™ll need one slot most of the time. If you make it to the last game of round 2 youā€™ll need 2 slots.

5. It is possible for a player to win both as a team winner and a individual winner, meaning he/she will win two of the 4 prizes.

6. All players who join this tournament must be willing to join their first game with 48 hours of the scheduled starting date. All freemium players will be sent a reminder 1 week prior to the start of the tournament.

7. Note: All times are Mountain (-7 GMT). Thatā€™s 2 hours behind the east coast and an hour ahead of the west coast.

8. I reserve the right to cancel the tournament if I don't get all 96 slots filled by the start date... so spread the word.

9. If Solar System isn't available for play The tournament will be delayed until it is. (Update: Solar System is available)

10. If a bug is found in Solar System then all current games will considered invalid and the games will be replayed when the bug is fixed. The results of games that have been completed prior to that bug will stand.

11. Reserves will be used in Rounds 1 and 2. In round 1 the numerically first positions will be filled first. in round 2 the most advantageous vacated positions (highest seeds) will be filled first. No reserves will be allowed to play for the first time in Round 3 or Wave 4 of Round 2

12. If the number of drop outs entirely depletes the reserves, new reserves will be recruited. (new reserves will always be welcome) Eliminated players will be allowed to re-apply if all reserves have been depleted.

13. If there are no reserves to start the games in Round 1 for a week then the game will start short a player. (The tournament will probably be canceled if there are more than 16 unfilled vacancies in Round 1 after 1 week)

14. If there are not enough reserves to fill vacancies in round 2 after searching for a week then a dummy account will be created and managed by maxdetjens. That dummy player will fill in. That dummy will deploy on the alphabetically first territory, never attack, and will not fortify. This essentially makes a Round 2 game a 3 vs 2 situation. No reserves will be allowed to play for the first time in Wave 4 of Round 2

**DEPRECIATED INFORMATION**
All thread participants will be invited by PM and if they respond prior to noon on December 7th their spot will be guaranteed. Since there are 50 thread participants a minimum of 46 spots will be available to the public. The public list will also be tapped to replace any thread participants who decline the invitation or donā€™t respond by the December 7th deadline. Invited contributors who reply after December 7th will be lumped in with the public.
Last edited by maxdetjens on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 60 times in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Re: Solar System Invitational

Postby maxdetjens on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Announcements:

(01/02/08) We fell short of the needed 96 players. Instead of canceling the tournament I"m going to push back the start date/deadline to the 9th. I'll evaluate where we are at that time. In the meantime tell your friends.

(12/07/07) Heats are now shaping up. Check the Round 1 section to see who some of your competitors will be.

(12/07/07) The Invitational reservations have expired. Its now wide open... first come, first served.

(11/25/07) Round 1 has been changed to Sequential. PM maxdetjens or post on the thread if you hate that so much you don't want to participate anymore.

(11/19/07) There is a question about the desirability of "freestyle" play. I've put up a poll asking whether sequential play would be preferred for round 1. your vote matters.

(11/19/07) Just a note: I've posted the PSD files on the original Solar System Thread. So If you wanted to see my files... have fun.

(11/17/07) This is my first attempt at a tournament and my schedule can get crazy at the last minute. So Iā€™d love to have 1 or 2 folks volunteer to help out.

(11/17/07) I want to draw your attention to important note #10 from the above post. "If a bug is found in Solar System then all current games will considered invalid and the games will be replayed when the bug is fixed. The results of games that have been completed prior to that bug will stand." Since the map is new (and I made it) its bound to have a few bugs. In fact, rigorous field testing, is a key motivator for this tournament. In any case I figure a "do over" is the fairest way to handle that eventuality.
Last edited by maxdetjens on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Re: Solar System Invitational

Postby maxdetjens on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Tournament Current Status and History:

Current List for Round 1 Heats:

WE ARE ACCEPTING ENTRIES FROM THE PUBLIC! All names are confirmed.

Round 1 Games:
I'm filling them in as I lock them down.
Heat 1: maxdetjens, GreecePwns, Zemljanin, luckyderus, Lomma, #81
Heat 2: Coleman, hobee88, rotationx, gonzo111, MarVal, #82
Heat 3: Bad Speler, ParadiceCity9, decoulombe, dragon27, ogr8cdd, #83
Heat 4: yeti_c, riggable, matt_707, japser_be, the_fatty, #84
Heat 5: cairnswk, wcaclimbing, tbones3491, Coors1, GRAPE APE, #85
Heat 6: Kaplowitz, dominationnation, otherspirits, CoolC, trk1994, #86
Heat 7: Keredrex, hecter, thekidstrumpet, Forza AZ, negoeien, #87
Heat 8: onbekende, rallison, I GOT SERVED, Bryanious, zobots, #88
Heat 9: Aerial Attack, ga7, SWeko, buddylee1998, taxmanjle, #89
Heat 10: Gilligan, Gozar, taxmanjle, fireheart, sirfrogger, #90
Heat 11: mrjayfbennett, BaldAdonis, pittman, nathanef, biscuit boy, #91
Heat 12: Neutrino, Unit_2, The Weird One, dexterdexter, freyme ,#92
Heat 13: DiM, RoOkAz, jnd94, escotia21, #77 ,#93
Heat 14: wrightfan123, klinlin, Tieryn, #Natewolfman, #78 ,#94
Heat 15: 0ojakeo0, rgclegg, Arachnophobia, V.J., #79 ,#95
Heat 16: Bigfalcon65, Gold Knight, Marshall Law, brandoncfi, #80 ,#96

Reserve Slots:
Reserve 1,
Reserve 2
Reserve 3
Reserve 4
Reserve 5
Reserve 6
Reserve 7
Reserve 8
Reserve 9
Reserve 10
Reserve 11
Reserve 12
Reserve 13
Reserve 14
Reserve 15
Reserve 16

Round 2 Qualifiers List and Team Assignments: (different list than the round 1 list at the top of the post. This list is ranked by score of player in round 1)
Team 1: #1, #2, #3
Team 2: #4, #5, #6
Team 3: #7, #8, #9
Team 4: #10, #11, #12
Team 5: #13, #14, #15
Team 6: #16, #17, #18
Team 7: #19, #20, #21
Team 8: #22, #23, #24
Team 9: #25, #26, #27
Team 10: #28, #29, #30
Team 11: #31, #32, #33
Team 12: #34, #35, #36
Team 13: #37, #38, #39
Team 14: #40, #41, #42
Team 15: #43, #44, #45
Team 16: #46, #47, #48

Round 2 Wave 1 (Prelim) Bracket:
Team 1 v Team 16
Team 2 v Team 15
Team 3 v Team 14
Team 4 v Team 13
Team 5 v Team 12
Team 6 v Team 11
Team 7 v Team 10
Team 8 v Team 9
Each Bracket Wave is Power Protected (Best vs worst, 2nd best v 2nd worst etc)

Round 2 Wave 2 (Quarter-Finals) Bracket:
Team ? v Team ?
Team ? v Team ?
Team ? v Team ?
Team ? v Team ?

Round 2 Wave 3 (Semi-Finals) Bracket:
Team ? v Team ?
Team ? v Team ?

Round 2 Wave 4 (Finals) Bracket:
Team ? v Team ?

Winner is Team Winner!

Round 3:
The six players from Round 2 Wave 4:
?
?
?
?
?
?

Winner is Individual Winner!

Participating Invitees:
maxdetjens (?? posts), Coleman (21 posts), Bad Speler (18 posts), yeti_c (16 posts), cairnswk (9 posts), Kaplowitz (9 posts), Keredrex (7 posts), onbekende (5 posts), Aerial Attack (4 posts), Gilligan (4 posts), mrjayfbennett (4 posts), Neutrino (4 posts), DiM (3 posts), wrightfan123 (2 posts). 0ojakeo0 (1 post), Bigfalcon65 (1 post), GreecePwns (1 post), hobee88 (1 post), ParadiceCity9 (1 post), riggable (1 post), wcaclimbing (1 post)

Other Invitees:
I wish the following the very best and thank them for their support. (if your name is on this list and you want to join.. let me know!!)

Night Strike (56 posts), jako (22 posts), Pious (15 posts), Wisse (10 posts), gimil (9 posts), KEYOGI (8 posts), unriggable (8 posts), Marvaddin (7 posts), Pain Killer (7 posts), edbeard (6 posts), oaktown (6 posts), thegeneralpublic (5 posts), AndyDufresne (4 posts), Dancing Mustard (3 posts), snufkin (3 posts), spiesr (2 posts), JupitersKing (2 posts), andreweberman (1 post),Incandenza (1 post), Optimus Prime (1 post), insomniacdude (1 post), Bean_ (1 post), boat4hire (1 post), cena-rules (1 post), ClessAlvein (1 post), Geoster (1 post), Goalie (1 post), OnlyAmbrose (1 post), 40 Schumi (1 post), Steel Panzer(1 post), The Random One (1 post)
Last edited by maxdetjens on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 68 times in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Night Strike on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:56 pm

Confirm me please. This sounds kinda confusing, but I trust that you either already have it all mapped out or will by the time it starts (which is quite a ways away). Once it gets closer to time to start, I can probably help you run it if you would like.

This is a large endeavor for your first tournament. Good luck.
Major Night Strike

Postby DiM on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:03 pm

in
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:05 pm

why not :D
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby onbekende on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:25 pm

count me in!!
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Neutrino on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:04 pm

In. I was wondering when this would finally get quenched :D
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes, we own all your generals. Touch us and you loooose...

The Rogue State!
Corporal Neutrino

Postby dominationnation on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:44 pm

in
Cook dominationnation

Postby hecter on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:49 pm

In.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby rallison on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:49 pm

count me in plz, i've been waiting for this map to come out :-)
rallison, The Ultimate Assassin - European Assassin finalist
Highest Rank: 245 -- First Page!
Sergeant 1st Class rallison

Postby ga7 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:02 pm

In.
Lieutenant ga7

Postby Aerial Attack on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Max,

Thank you for the invitation. I will definitely be participating.
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby Gozar on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:19 pm

Sign me up!
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby BaldAdonis on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:32 am

Count me in.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Gilligan on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:57 am

I'm gonna take the invitation 8)
Captain Gilligan

Postby rebelman on Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:03 pm

thanks for the pm, this tournie is a great idea to reward your contributors and i am looking forward to playing your map but i will not be entering this tournie.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby riggable on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:06 pm

well i got invited, so how the hell could i refuse? :)

in in in
Sergeant riggable

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:36 pm

i'll play

BTW, you have the start date worng, it says 2007, not 2008 :wink:
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby maxdetjens on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:43 pm

Unit_2 wrote:i'll play

BTW, you have the start date worng, it says 2007, not 2008 :wink:

Hey Thanks!
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby RoOkAz on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:43 pm

im in tho i dont realy get how its formed...but count me in i trust you guys in declaring me the winner if i am ;)
Sergeant RoOkAz

Postby maxdetjens on Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:27 pm

RoOkAz wrote:im in tho i dont realy get how its formed...but count me in i trust you guys in declaring me the winner if i am ;)

Synopsys
Round 1 weeds out half the field and sorts the rest into 3 man teams.
Round 2 is 16 team bracket. it has power protect so its not quite a "sweet 16" style its more like the way the NFL does its playoffs.
Round 3 takes the best 2 three man teams and pits them in a 6 way battle.

the 3 players from the best team in round 2 win. The winner of the single game in round 3 is also a prize winner.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby klinlin on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:13 pm

I'll Play
"I Don't believe in God"

doctors note:

this is the last known statement of the deceased
just before he was struck by lightning out of a clear sky
Cook klinlin

Postby GreecePwns on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:28 pm

You should include the GMT (-7 I think?) for the "All times are Mountain" part.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby insomniacdude on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:30 pm

I'll decline the invite. I don't like Freestyle too much. Though I appreciate the offer, and extend my congratulations out to the quench.

If you are still wanting/looking for some sort of assistance with the tourney, though, I'd be glad to help out.
Cadet insomniacdude

Next

Return to Abandoned