Conquer Club

'Skip game' feature for 'Jump to next game' button *Done*

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

'Skip game' feature for 'Jump to next game' button *Done*

Postby Frop on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Suggestion Idea: To have a 'Skip game' checkbox/toggle button on each Game page which makes the 'Jump to your next playable game' button skip the selected game(s) during the same browser session.

Specifics: Not much more than above, except that I could imagine having the necessary information stored in the browser's cookie.

Why it is needed: The idea is to (temporarily) hold off playing a turn in a game for various reasons. Sometimes you want to wait for your partner(s) to come online to discuss your next move, other times you just want to 'wait' for hot dice when you're gearing up for an important move.

The 'Skip game' setting would revert to unchecked once the browser session expires (exiting your browser, cleaning up your cookies, etc.). This would reduce the risk of any feature abuse or unintentionally missing turns.

Credits go to Wild Tiger for the original idea.
Captain Frop

Postby Wild_Tiger on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:30 pm

I second that =)
I got beaten by 2 privates and all I got was this lousy feedback!
General Wild_Tiger

Re: 'Skip game' feature for 'Jump to next game' button

Postby Iliad on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Frop wrote:Suggestion Idea: To have a 'Skip game' checkbox/toggle button on each Game page which makes the 'Jump to your next playable game' button skip the selected game(s) during the same browser session.

Specifics: Not much more than above, except that I could imagine having the necessary information stored in the browser's cookie.

Why it is needed: The idea is to (temporarily) hold off playing a turn in a game for various reasons. Sometimes you want to wait for your partner(s) to come online to discuss your next move, other times you just want to 'wait' for hot dice when you're gearing up for an important move.

The 'Skip game' setting would revert to unchecked once the browser session expires (exiting your browser, cleaning up your cookies, etc.). This would reduce the risk of any feature abuse or unintentionally missing turns.

is it really that hard to click the jump to your next playable game again?
Private 1st Class Iliad

Re: 'Skip game' feature for 'Jump to next game' button

Postby insomniacdude on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:06 pm

Iliad wrote:
Frop wrote:Suggestion Idea: To have a 'Skip game' checkbox/toggle button on each Game page which makes the 'Jump to your next playable game' button skip the selected game(s) during the same browser session.

is it really that hard to click the jump to your next playable game again?

You can't do that in games in which it is your turn.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby Frop on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:09 pm

Iliad wrote:is it really that hard to click the jump to your next playable game again?

Imagine game #1 being your the game with the least time left and game #2 the second game, game #3 the third and so on (ordered chronologically). You want to skip game #1 however until your teammate comes online. Clicking 'Jump to next game' if you finish any other turn would repeatedly send you back to game #1.

If you would be able to 'skip' this game you would jump to game #2 (and after you take that turn to #3, #4, etc.) when you press the 'Jump to next game' button. Do you get what we're at now?
Last edited by Frop on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Frop

Postby pascalleke on Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:45 pm

Frop wrote:
Iliad wrote:is it really that hard to click the jump to your next playable game again?

Imagine game #1 being your the game with the least time left and game #2 the second game, game #3 the third and so on (ordered chronologically). You want to skip game #1 however until your teammate comes online. Clicking 'Jump to next game' if you finish any other turn would repeatedly send you back to game #1.

If you would be able to 'skip' this game you would jump to game #2 (and after you take that turn to #3, #4, etc.) if you press the 'Jump to next game' button. Do you get what we're at now?

i agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :twisted:
Sergeant pascalleke

Postby Risktaker17 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:59 pm

nice avatar :D
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby Frop on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Risktaker17 wrote:nice avatar :D

Thanks, Wile E. Coyote is teh shit.
Captain Frop

Postby Gilligan on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Frop wrote:

I don't think he was talking to you.
Captain Gilligan

Postby john1099 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Frop wrote:

QFT but it's not a fantastic avatar.
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby Risktaker17 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:31 pm

I was talking about the one that made me drool :)
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby Frop on Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Frop wrote:

Is your sarcasm detector out of order?
Captain Frop

Multiple games running at the same time..

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:41 am

Concise description:Jump to your next game button
  • Next Game Button! This button will put your desired game at the bottom of games ready to play rather than sitting at the top of your list if you do not wish to make a move at that time for strategic reasons or otherwise. For the same token you have 10 other games with moves ready to be made, but every time you click on Jump to my next game it takes you back to the game you do not wish to make a move in. For someone with many games having to click on my games all the time and manually select the games can get time consuming and old.

Specifics: End of the line button
  • End of the line button - Which will put the desired game on the end of your list of ready to play games. Currently they are sorted by time, but using this logic they still would be considering you would make all your moves you wanted to and the games would still come in the order of time

This will improve the following aspects of the site:Making moving around games easier
  • Ease of site use
  • Much more friendly game invironment

Thanks for the consideration
Bruce Lee
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Multiple games running at the same time..

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:57 am

from the 'my games' screen i select the games i want to take a move in by opening them in their own tabs.

i use firefox but i think most modern browsers have that functionality.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 am

greenoaks wrote:from the 'my games' screen i select the games i want to take a move in by opening them in their own tabs.

i use firefox but i think most modern browsers have that functionality.

Yes but if you run a lot of games this is a ton of tabs... Some people have over 100 games running. Each tab will kill firefox.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:09 am

i usually have about 120 and have not had a problem. i scroll through and select 10 or 20 at a time, say all the classic or AoR:Magic games, play them and then select another bunch.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:29 am

Seems like a hassle to me. I would get lost as to which ones to play and not play. I like my idea better. :) I run about 100 games at a time.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:00 am

your idea no matter how great you or i think it is will not happen any time soon, if at all. you will just have to put up with that one game you left always popping up or find a work-around like i have.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 am

I like this idea. I will often pick out the "one on one" games or the quicker to play games first. That way, I won't leave someone more or less waiting for me to finish waiting while I take 15 minutes on Waterloo. I also tend to play all of one map consecutively, which means I stay in the same strategy "tack" more or less.

Granted, I can always just go into My Games and pick the correct game, but this feature would be nice.

A problem I can forsee -- if you forget that you "skipped" a game, you might end up deadbeating. I would therefore suggest it go to the bottom of the
ACTIVE games -- maybe add one second or one minute to the last active game on the timer, for example. OR, have it reset automatically when you leave "my games"/ log out of CC.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 pm

I stated this game would go to the back the ready to play games. Not all your total games. I do not see how you could deadbeat...
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Tieryn on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Perhaps another way around this... is a "skip this game in "next"" sort of check..

Often I will click "play next game" and it might be a doubles, or a tournament, or a some game for some reason that at that second I don't want to play, If I could click something that would mark it off (for this turn only) as "looked at but not played" and skip to the next game, and keep playing through that would be great... Only at the end of all games would the "jump to next game" come back to this one... or I could access it through the "my games" folder.

I like running through game at a time and the jump to next game button is -great- but if it had just this one small option (perhaps sitting next to "Begin turn" is a button that reads "Come back to this game" which will take you to the next game, and put a little check against this one to not be the "next game" even if it's got the lowest time).

I don't think it would be a massive code job, and it would be really neat and remove the only problem the "jump to next playable game" has.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:02 am

I would all be for a Skip button or pass button. Just something when I click next it does not keep bringing me back to a game I do not wish to play at this time.
Corporal Bruceswar

"Mark as Viewed" Games

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:47 am

Concise description:
  • A "Mark as Viewed" button in games so when you click the handy dandy 'jump to your next playable game' button, you can skip games you want to

Specifics:
  • Next to the "begin turn" link, add a check box to allow a player to skip over this game when they click on "jump to your next playable game"

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • it will allow for faster movment in between games when you have already decided to skip a game for now (example: team games and you want to wait for advice from a partner)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Re: "Mark as Viewed" Games

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I like it!
There are a LOT of reasons to skip a game.
Waiting for advice (as you mentioned), having time only to play a few quick turns right then, wanting to take your 1v1 or "real time" game turns first, etc.
I have even had a couple of games where one player had to be out for a day... the rest of us agreed to just postpone our turns a bit (sequential) so there would be no misses.

This would hurt nothing and would add a lot!
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: "Mark as Viewed" Games

Postby cicero on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am

OK, so when the game is marked as viewed at what point will "jump to next playable game" start working properly again?

Let's say I mark a particular game as viewed and then use "jump to next playable game" to play all my other turns. What happens when I've played all those ? Does it just revert to the My Games page? If so I can see this feature encouraging me to miss turns ...
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions