Conquer Club

Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:38 am

Bad Speler wrote: And by the way, the classic map is smaller than mine. So is Asia and Space.

I'm not sure about that, I think it needs to be at least 200 pixels taller.
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:07 pm

Alright, Alright I'll make it larger. It seems to be a concensus. And classic map is smaleer, its 325 pixel tall.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:09 am

Bad Speler wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:...the texture in this edit is horendous. The font aint that much better. U should have added BC to the NW Territories because right now N America is very very linear. i also think N America is worth too much, 4 men for a 5 country continent with 2 borders? Africa in the classic has 6 countries, 3 borders and only 3 reinforcements.

You missed the Aleutian Islands. With it, its 6 countries and 3 borders. I'll change the texture and font yet again.

Sry, ur right, i did miss it. I still think you should have added BC to NW Territories.

Since everyone is going on about the size, why dont you make the map square? Or will that just look real bad?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:43 pm

I have decided to stop being lazy, and get back to work on this map. I have switched drawing programs, and made it bigger as by requests from about 4 months ago. This is why it now looks competely different. Also i have changed the polar ice cap to be something like the seas in the Alexander's Empire map to get rid of the bunches of lines, which stevegriffiths said made the map look messy (i now see how long it has been since ive worked on this map). I will get rid of that black cross in the middle, i just forgot to remove it after using it to mark the north pole.

Postby joeyjordison on Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:08 pm

i like the map. only thing i can see is that in the long term and especially in 3 player games there is a possibility someone could hold purple and green cont together with only 3 borders to defend. just thought i should point this out as i naturally play the game out in my head wen looking at a map. just me bein pocky really. i like it
Major joeyjordison

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:13 pm

joeyjordison wrote:i like the map. only thing i can see is that in the long term and especially in 3 player games there is a possibility someone could hold purple and green cont together with only 3 borders to defend. just thought i should point this out as i naturally play the game out in my head wen looking at a map. just me bein pocky really. i like it

Aren't there 4 borders to defend?

Anyway I like this map and I can't wait to start playing it. Keep up the good work!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Very good :D

I have no much time to comment now, but I prefer the smaller polar cap you were using before. And looks like we have some nameless areas in North America.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
joeyjordison wrote:i like the map. only thing i can see is that in the long term and especially in 3 player games there is a possibility someone could hold purple and green cont together with only 3 borders to defend. just thought i should point this out as i naturally play the game out in my head wen looking at a map. just me bein pocky really. i like it

Aren't there 4 borders to defend?

Anyway I like this map and I can't wait to start playing it. Keep up the good work!

I think he means when both quebec and nunavut are taken, there would only be need to defend 3 borders

I have no much time to comment now, but I prefer the smaller polar cap you were using before. And looks like we have some nameless areas in North America.

I assume your talking about the small islands in the north. I put them there just so it doesnt look empty, because thats how it is in the north, but i guess i can remove some of them to make it more clearer. As with the ice cap, i like the current version, but maybe i could keep 2 versions going and see what other people think.

Postby hendy on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:31 pm

scandanavia should be worth atleast 3 armies because it is small but ahrder to deffend
Sergeant 1st Class hendy

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:32 pm

This map is trippy! It feels like I am swirling...but I like it. I'll definitely look into it closer later on...but I will say...

Eeek for the water. It doesn't seem to fit with the current state.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby millej11 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:17 am

It will ber interesting to see what some of the strong holds are. I'm sure no one will be able to hold the ice cap for much longer than as a rout of transportation.
Private millej11

Postby oaktown on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 am

the map looks clean and playable, but other than that why would anyone decide "hey, it'd be fun to play a game in which I take over the arctic circle."

If you could plunge the entire map into darkness for half of the turns, then you'd have something. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:17 am

Water isnt very good as andy said.

Think the bonus for Scandnavia is fine, 4 countries and 2 borders is a bonus of 4.

I think you should rename Asian Russia just Asia, as thats what it is. I think you could amalgamate some of your territories in Asian Russia. Madagan should be a part of another territory. Maybe you could make a territory of Hokkaido or Japan in the top left hand corner to get away from all the russian territories (something like half the territories you have are russian).
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:50 pm

I have changed the ocean, added Hokkaido, merged Madagan with East Sakha, and added army shadows. I have posted two versions, one with a small ice cap, the other with a large ice cap, please tell me which one you like better. The only playability difference is that in the big ice cap version, the North Pole borders Komi.

Small ice cap version:

Big ice cap version:

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:37 pm

Bad Speler wrote:The only playability difference is that in the big ice cap version, the North Pole borders Komi.

And Yamalia. Anyway, I think we can use the small cao and remove some of those routes.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:47 pm

Hmm...missed Yamalia. Anyways, it seems that i can only remove Russian ice to East Sakha route and the North Pole to Elsemere Island Route so i dont hinder movability around the map to much.

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:18 pm

i prefer the big ice cap, it looks more realistic
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:21 pm

and now we have a conflict. I guess i'll run a poll on it and see what people think. Just one question...is there a way to change the poll i have on now or do i have to make another topic to do this?

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:41 pm

PM a mod (aka me), with the changes you would like made.

As for the small or large...I agree with Dublin, the large looks much more realistic. But if you made the small...less circular...and more...'ice capish'? it might feel real. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Link Hokkaido with Kamchatka. big ice cap is much better. Your going to have a north symbol in the centre pointing every way right?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:18 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:Link Hokkaido with Kamchatka. big ice cap is much better. Your going to have a north symbol in the centre pointing every way right?

I'll link them in the next update, and i will have a north symbol eventually...once i can find a good one.

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:08 am

I like the large ice cap for aformentioned reasons.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:20 am

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I feel the N. Islands bonus needs to be increased to 4. I'm not even sure if that is enough, 5 countries with 5 borders!?

I really like the map though, looks great.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:28 am

4 borders. But, in fact, it would be easily corrected to 3 if we use the small ice cap :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:31 am

Marvaddin wrote:4 borders. But, in fact, it would be easily corrected to 3 if we use the small ice cap :wink:

Then he NEEDS to make it look like an Ice cap.. and get rid of the straight lines on it too.. they loook bloody awful.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas