Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Dark Age Britain

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Dark Age Britain

Postby Telvannia on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:56 am

Sorry about the lack of an update, my school exams have just started. But im also on study leave, so more free time, but most of it should be taken up with revision.

Click image to enlarge.

What You Need To Know
1. Territories - 63
2. Continents - 9 (not including castles)
3. Other Gameplay Features - Decay on the sea territories. Sea territories and manau starting neutral

Changes in this Update
1. Tried to make the castles not look like islands.
2. Moved a few names around
3. Tried to age the borders a bit

To Do List
2.XML

Points to Discuss
1.Do i need to explain internal castle attack routes better?

This is a inter-CWC (Churchill War Cabinet) map idea. With gameplay and XML from the clan, and graphics from me..
Last edited by Telvannia on Thu May 15, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 am

Ah, good to see you've got it up Tel :D
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Re: Dark Age Britian. "V1 (pg 1)"

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:07 am

looks...... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

except for the instructions, i cant read them with the lines from the words above each one going through the one below

also, are the bonus' minus? if so then leave the - if not then take it out
Corporal bryguy

Postby mibi on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:36 am

great start.
Captain mibi

Re: Dark Age Britian. "V1 (pg 1)"

Postby Telvannia on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:45 am

bryguy wrote:except for the instructions, i cant read them with the lines from the words above each one going through the one below

I will try some different fonts.

bryguy wrote:also, are the bonus' minus? if so then leave the - if not then take it out

the - is just to separate the name and bonus. I will see what other people think.

Postby Telvannia on Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Redid the text on the legend. I hope it is clearer now.

Also what do people think of the 'randomly' coloured words, to make out what each special territory is?

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:02 pm

looking great
Corporal bryguy

map

Postby WL_southerner on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:09 pm

like the idea tel, one thing lo, the kingdom of wessex ran from boarders of cornwall up to the river avon though to avebury then along the kennet river to river thames to the north sea, cornwall inclued half of what is now devon
friends :- come and go _ i have loads of them
mates :- go and come back_only have a few
Leatsa, dh'fhàgainnsa...
Corporal WL_southerner

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:33 pm

i can't see V2 :(
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Telvannia on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:51 pm

i have reuploaded so any problem will hopefully fixed itself.

Re: map

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:27 pm

WL_southerner wrote:like the idea tel, one thing lo, the kingdom of wessex ran from boarders of cornwall up to the river avon though to avebury then along the kennet river to river thames to the north sea, cornwall inclued half of what is now devon

That would be my aria. Although if we need to do so for gameplay, we may merge wessex and essex, at the moment it is set in earlier times when wessex only controlled a small aria (i think cornwall was welsh at that time but wessex prob conquered it before moving east) although essex only covered what is called Seaxe on the map, while the rest were independant kingdoms, essex makes a good continent name because the peoples from that aria wew saxons.

What do people think about impassables? A few ideas:

-blockading sci with mountains would make scotland easier to hold.
-How about building Offa's Dyke between mercia and wales as an impassable/1 way attack into wales. It would make mercia easier to hold.
Last edited by Balsiefen on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ogrecrusher on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:30 pm

The colours for the 2 scottish bonuses are too close, maybe swap the colours around a bit?
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Ogrecrusher wrote:The colours for the 2 scottish bonuses are too close, maybe swap the colours around a bit?

Agreed. Mabye pictland and northumbria

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:46 pm

Wow, this looks really cool
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Telvannia on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:52 am

Balsiefen wrote:
WL_southerner wrote:like the idea tel, one thing lo, the kingdom of wessex ran from boarders of cornwall up to the river avon though to avebury then along the kennet river to river thames to the north sea, cornwall inclued half of what is now devon

That would be my aria. Although if we need to do so for gameplay, we may merge wessex and essex, at the moment it is set in earlier times when wessex only controlled a small aria (i think cornwall was welsh at that time but wessex prob conquered it before moving east) although essex only covered what is called Seaxe on the map, while the rest were independant kingdoms, essex makes a good continent name because the peoples from that aria wew saxons.

I will see what other people think about that.

Balsiefen wrote:What do people think about impassables? A few ideas:

-How about building Offa's Dyke between mercia and wales as an impassable/1 way attack into wales. It would make mercia easier to hold.

The dyke might be not such a good idea. Currently can only attack out that right hand side. so if we made the dyke we would have to add a dock to allow the armies to get to wales, though we could leave clwyd attacked to pec?
It you could up with a list of impassible and an idea of some graphics for them, i will see what i can come up with.

Balsiefen wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:The colours for the 2 scottish bonuses are too close, maybe swap the colours around a bit?

Agreed. Mabye pictland and northumbria

I will see what colours i can come up with.

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:02 am

Telvannia wrote:
Balsiefen wrote:What do people think about impassables? A few ideas:

The dyke might be not such a good idea. Currently can only attack out that right hand side. so if we made the dyke we would have to add a dock to allow the armies to get to wales, though we could leave clwyd attacked to pec?
It you could up with a list of impassible and an idea of some graphics for them, i will see what i can come up with.

I tried to but i couldn't think of anything else. Mabye forests? It doesn't matter about the dyke idea, its a good excuse if we want an impsassable there as it was the dark age equivelent of hadrians wall.

Postby Coleman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:30 am

Okay, not sure if this has been posted yet but this jumped out at me right away. The territory font needs to change. That is really really hard for me to read the way it is right now.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Telvannia on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:57 am

Coleman wrote:Okay, not sure if this has been posted yet but this jumped out at me right away. The territory font needs to change. That is really really hard for me to read the way it is right now.

Really i find it quite easy...

although their Ss look like Es. But i think once you have a list of territories in the drop down menu, you should be able to be able to match up any of the territories you could not read.

map

Postby WL_southerner on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:02 am

tel m8 what era of the dark ages are we talking about
ie:- like when the danes and saxon controlled britain , because at that time england,wales,scotland,ireland was one counrty then, like it was before the roman ocupation,and was split up again after the norman conquest
most of the countys that you see came about after 1400
Leatsa, dh'fhàgainnsa...
Corporal WL_southerner

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:57 am

WL_southerner wrote:tel m8 what era of the dark ages are we talking about
ie:- like when the danes and saxon controlled britain , because at that time england,wales,scotland,ireland was one counrty then, like it was before the roman ocupation,and was split up again after the norman conquest
most of the countys that you see came about after 1400

1400? that was well into medieval times.

Its set around 750AD, shortly before the viking invasion, Britain was in the heptarchy rule

map

Postby WL_southerner on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:53 am

i did say most of the countys came about after 1400,like hampshire only dates back to 1600's,i can only think of two countys that still exist from the dark ages that is cumbria and northumbria all the other countys that are about today came between 1400 and 1750

the dark ages started when the romans troops started to leave britian whitch ended with the first invasion saxons in the early part of 600ad followed by the danes (vikings),anglos,jutes,and the pits coming down from the north britian (scotland)by the end off 660ad there was not one roman left alive,and every thing that was roman was burned to the ground or taken over, then started the danes saxon wars to see who would have controll of britain that ended with king alfred the great,with the spliting of britian in two danes to the north and saxon to the south and ruled by one king saxon king alfred
Leatsa, dh'fhàgainnsa...
Corporal WL_southerner

Postby mibi on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 am

Telvannia wrote:
Coleman wrote:Okay, not sure if this has been posted yet but this jumped out at me right away. The territory font needs to change. That is really really hard for me to read the way it is right now.

although their Ss look like Es. But i think once you have a list of territories in the drop down menu, you should be able to be able to match up any of the territories you could not read.

coleman is right... legibility is poor. font and color wise.
Captain mibi

Postby Telvannia on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:15 am

WL_southerner wrote:tel m8 what era of the dark ages are we talking about

Balsiefen mainly took care of the territories, so he knows the era ect.

mibi wrote:
Telvannia wrote:

coleman is right... legibility is poor. font and color wise.

I will see what i can come up with but i really want the font to match the style of the map...
by colourwise, do you mean territory colours?

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:42 am

WL_southerner wrote:i did say most of the countys came about after 1400,like hampshire only dates back to 1600's,i can only think of two countys that still exist from the dark ages that is cumbria and northumbria all the other countys that are about today came between 1400 and 1750

the dark ages started when the romans troops started to leave britian whitch ended with the first invasion saxons in the early part of 600ad followed by the danes (vikings),anglos,jutes,and the pits coming down from the north britian (scotland)by the end off 660ad there was not one roman left alive,and every thing that was roman was burned to the ground or taken over, then started the danes saxon wars to see who would have controll of britain that ended with king alfred the great,with the spliting of britian in two danes to the north and saxon to the south and ruled by one king saxon king alfred

Umm, yes. What are you trying to establish? All the territories are givern their saxon names (with a couple merged for playability) As for kingdoms, they are all about where they were in 750AD. (though mercia is a little smaller) The only exception is the small group of Kingdoms in the south-east (naimly Cantwara and East Engle) which were independent but we have naimed their continent Essex after one the largest of them.

Postby Dancing Mustard on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 am

Big support for this idea. Much love.

Isn't the current old-timey font a bit much though? Is there a slightly more legible version that would suffice?
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Next

Return to Recycling Box