Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Chess

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby john9blue on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 am

Well, it seems like there's finally some discussion about this map, now that it looks somewhat professional. I took some of your suggestions and redid the graphics, and the latest version of the map is here. Comment and suggest like always. :wink:
Last edited by john9blue on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Gnome on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:43 am

Why starting a thread in the foundry? this topic will move there once the moderators think it's time to move there...

as for the map:

I like the idea...

-I don't know if you tryed this but maybe you can make the pieces look some more 3D...maybe that looks good?
-I don't get the '+1 per piece of the same colour...
So if you own 2 pawn's of whit you get +2
Or you get +1 if you own 2 of the same colour?

-For the rest of the map...play a bit around with everything, I'm sure you can do better
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:05 am

My main concern is that the pieces are in an illegal position - both kings are in check - and this is impossible in a game...

Also the black pieces are hard to see on the black squares...

However the board and the rest of the map looks sweet...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby benjikat on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 am

yeti_c wrote:My main concern is that the pieces are in an illegal position - both kings are in check - and this is impossible in a game...

I think you've got the king and queen the wrong way round yeti...
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 am

benjikat wrote:
yeti_c wrote:My main concern is that the pieces are in an illegal position - both kings are in check - and this is impossible in a game...

I think you've got the king and queen the wrong way round yeti...

Bugger - I didn't look properly - I looked at this thread the other day and they were both in check...

You're right tho - this is sorted now... ignore that point!!

But the black on black problem is still evident.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Rictus on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:42 am

Question - can black pieces attack other black pieces? Obviously has a major impact on strategy... Love the idea – hope you stick with it.
Corporal Rictus

Postby john9blue on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:16 pm

There seems to be a great deal of support for the idea of a chess map, but this topic has gone inactive twice, even after I took people's suggestions and made updates. This thread is ready for the Foundry in my opinion... it would certainly get more activity there. It would be a shame to see this idea die after 6 updates and support from the community.

Anyway, I made a modification. The Objective feature that I saw in Age Of Might gave me an idea. The objective of this map could be to have every piece of a color, plus the opposing king, similar to a 'checkmate' in real life chess. Also, the name is changed from 'Conquer Club Chess' to simply 'Chess'. This is partly because it gives me more room, and partly because I don't want it confused with Cairns Coral Coast. (One of my favorite maps, by the way.) :)
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm

why are the kings in check??? and i like the idea, but the map could use some modifications maybe (still looking at it so ill let u know)
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 pm

ok, i see one thing that may be hard, the objective.

of course thats just from a coding point of view, cause its hard enough already to code
Corporal bryguy

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:36 pm

bryguy wrote:why are the kings in check??? and i like the idea, but the map could use some modifications maybe (still looking at it so ill let u know)

neither king is in check

but as to how the queens got in that HORRID position i do NOT want to know, no matter what either player does BOTH of those queens are dead meat
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 pm

Herakilla wrote:
bryguy wrote:why are the kings in check??? and i like the idea, but the map could use some modifications maybe (still looking at it so ill let u know)

neither king is in check

but as to how the queens got in that HORRID position i do NOT want to know, no matter what either player does BOTH of those queens are dead meat

oh those are the queens? look like the kings from one of my chess boards
Corporal bryguy

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:58 pm

ya the king is the one with the more pope like shape and the queens are the crowns
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Herakilla wrote:ya the king is the one with the more pope like shape and the queens are the crowns

that makes no sense, it should be the other way around :roll:
Corporal bryguy

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 pm

bryguy wrote:
Herakilla wrote:ya the king is the one with the more pope like shape and the queens are the crowns

that makes no sense, it should be the other way around :roll:

i remember that old program but i learned with the board game and that has the queen with a crown and the king with a cross (like the pope) so i think this way makes perfect sense
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 pm

chess is so fun! i had a match up for school where i beat my opponent before everyone else was done so he wanted another game

i proceeded to bash him in 14 more games before other people started finishing lol and i used a different strategy for 10 of them, the last 4 all i did was exchange my pieces for his same ones since i can control my pieces better lol, it kept ending up with my 2 rooks and queen vs his queen and king
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby bryguy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:16 am

Herakilla wrote:chess is so fun! i had a match up for school where i beat my opponent before everyone else was done so he wanted another game

i proceeded to bash him in 14 more games before other people started finishing lol and i used a different strategy for 10 of them, the last 4 all i did was exchange my pieces for his same ones since i can control my pieces better lol, it kept ending up with my 2 rooks and queen vs his queen and king

lol last time i played chess with people OTHER than someone im related to, i whooped them all, except the first person i played, me and him got a stalemate :?

oh well, i just thought that the king was the queen and the queen was the king cause u cant see the cross on the kings crown
Corporal bryguy

Postby Rictus on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Rictus wrote:Question - can black pieces attack other black pieces? Obviously has a major impact on strategy... Love the idea – hope you stick with it.

*cough*
Corporal Rictus

Postby john9blue on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Nope, it's just like a regular chess game. You can only attack pieces of the opposite color.

Also, I know this is a bad setup, but I am saving any serious discussion about it for a further stage of development. Maybe I can provide a legend that shows how the pieces move, who knows? :)
Captain john9blue

Postby hecter on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:58 pm

bryguy wrote:ok, i see one thing that may be hard, the objective.

of course thats just from a coding point of view, cause its hard enough already to code

I wouldn't worry about coding if I were you. Besides, do you even know xml? It would just look like this:
Code: Select all
<objective>
   <components>
      <component>Piece1</component>
      <component>Piece2</component>
      <component>Piece15</component>
   </components>
</objective>

Do that twice and there ya go. Objective complete!
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby bryguy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:10 pm

hecter wrote:
bryguy wrote:ok, i see one thing that may be hard, the objective.

I wouldn't worry about coding if I were you. Besides, do you even know xml? It would just look like this:
Code: Select all
<objective>
   <components>
      <component>Piece1</component>
      <component>Piece2</component>
      <component>Piece15</component>
   </components>
</objective>

Do that twice and there ya go. Objective complete!

forget what i said earlier, that was before somebody came up with a program to help with the placing of armies so now i can do xml with ease

and yes i do know xml
Corporal bryguy

Postby hecter on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:13 pm

What the hell does army coordinates have to do with the objective?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby bryguy on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:41 am

no not the objectives, the xml, im great at all parts of xml EXCEPT for where the location of the armies are on the map
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:32 pm

why was this quit....
Corporal bryguy

pieces +1

Postby herndawg on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm

What if all pieces started nuetral and they are +1 bonus when held, or for every two pieces +1, the first to own all of one color and conquer king of other color wins?
Captain herndawg

Postby premio53 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 am

I used play chess in tournaments. Would it be possible to have several different starting positions for a starting setup? You could have The English Opening, Ruy Lopez, Queen's Gambit, Sicilian Defense, Dutch etc. There are enough openings to be able to have a different start for just about every game. Just a thought.
Lieutenant premio53

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box