Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:56 pm

morleyjoe wrote:Is there any chance you're going to change the maps for tokens soon? These are getting really boring, havng to play the same maps to death...

Yes.

And will gladly accept suggestions, as well. For sure I want World 2.1 on the next list, but as for the others I'm open to suggestions.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby morleyjoe on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
morleyjoe wrote:Is there any chance you're going to change the maps for tokens soon? These are getting really boring, havng to play the same maps to death...

Yes.

And will gladly accept suggestions, as well. For sure I want World 2.1 on the next list, but as for the others I'm open to suggestions.

Anything different would be great....

but would suggest:

Battle for Iraq!
Flanders 1302
Eurasia or Eurasia Mini
Tribal War - Ancient Israel
Rail USA or Europe

Plus many more if possible!
show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:57 pm

morleyjoe wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Yes.

Anything different would be great....

but would suggest:

Battle for Iraq!
Flanders 1302
Eurasia or Eurasia Mini
Tribal War - Ancient Israel
Rail USA or Europe

Plus many more if possible!

Can't see any connection between Ancient Israel and World War I. Maybe in November of 2017 on the 100th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration, although even that is a stretch. Rail USA definitely not, although Rail Europe can be tied in. Yeah, most of those are decent candidates. Not promising... we'll see what other people propose... but except for the two I noted all of the above are good candidates.

Nice list, thanks Joe. Will leave this open for a few more days and make a decision next week sometime. Once a decision is made I like to announce it two weeks ahead (so people have time to adjust their games) so if we make a decision on the 12th we'll get the new list up around the 26th of August.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby shoop76 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Is there a glitch with the scoreboard?
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:36 pm

shoop76 wrote:Is there a glitch with the scoreboard?

Nobody has said anything. What kind of glitch?
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby shoop76 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
shoop76 wrote:Is there a glitch with the scoreboard?

Nobody has said anything. What kind of glitch?

It doesn't show the leaderboard when I click on it. Just the top part, nut no medal scores.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Seems okay. Maybe it's time to clear your cache or whatever.

Also, I notice there was a Firefox updated today. Maybe just a reboot will do it for you.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby shoop76 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Ok, its working, thanks.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby waauw on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Some ideas for potential maps to be used:
  • Dark Continent and Eastern Hemisphere: WWI was much more than just a battle within Europe. Colonial empires were at stake in an age where indemnities were common practice.
  • Trafalgar: I know this battle pre-dated WWI by about a 100 years, but this battle was at the roots of British 'splendid isolation'. Whilst WWI and more specifically the run-up to WWI signaled the end of British political isolation. (would also be nice to have a naval battle amongst the maps)
  • Conquer Rome and/or Poison Rome: To represent the fact that WWI was very much a fight amongst relatives. Each standing at the head of their empire and neatly dividing european nations in two camps.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:13 am

In keeping with the "15 days in Hell" theme, we gave all of these tourneys a 15-day timer instead of the usual 7-day.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:46 am

Dark Continent is currently one of the maps being used waauw.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm still getting questions about how to find/join the tourneys. I've put together a graphical FAQ.

General FAQ post

General FAQ

Q: How do I join these autotournaments?

A: Here is our critically-acclaimed Seven Step program.

With pictures:

5. The description in the autotourney box is a short description, because of space limitations. For more details, you can visit the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments post, which will usually have a more thorough discussion of the tourney. For older tourneys, you can look for the appropriate archive in the List of Previous Tournaments

Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby MGSteve on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 am

Now that's my kind of instructions! No room for error cause it's all there in pix and easy to understand, straightforward directions. :mrgreen:
Captain MGSteve

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Don't forget that you can also earn tokens by playing DoomYoshi's 1914 Proper scenario. This is an attempt to realistically depict the actual starting forces at the outbreak of WW I. It is not play-balanced, but since it's a Scenario and no points change hands, the lack of play balance should not bother you too much. This is a fun way to envision the strategic dispositions of the troops in the European thatre of the War.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby pamoa on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:07 am

map suggestion

4 stars meat = WWI was butchery
BeNeLux
FarEast
Land and Sea
Orient Express 1883
Transsib 1914
Trench !!!
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:29 am

Don't add Trench Warfare; that map has been in so many tournaments already we really don't need more.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:32 pm

I just wanted to clear up if there any rules regarding 'out in the open' truces in these tourney games. I hold no opinion either way, just want to be clear if truces can be offered/accepted or if this is- not allowed/frowned upon.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:43 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:I just wanted to clear up if there any rules regarding 'out in the open' truces in these tourney games. I hold no opinion either way, just want to be clear if truces can be offered/accepted or if this is- not allowed/frowned upon.

There are no rules beyond the regular site rules. If it deserves a C&A report, then report it. Otherwise, it's not against the rules.

As for the famous "frowned-upon" phrase.... that has always been a problematic part of the Tournament Handbook. All I can really say is that it is descriptive and not prescriptive. Where the Tournament Handbook says "frowned-upon" it literally means that some of your fellow players frown upon and will reduce their opinion of you. It does not mean that diplomacy is against the rules.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby shoop76 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Just to be clear Duk, it is illegal to carry over truces from 1 game to another. In other words a truce can only be for 1 games. 2 players cannot agree to get in a truce for a whole series. Is this correct?
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:14 pm

shoop76 wrote:Just to be clear Duk, it is illegal to carry over truces from 1 game to another. In other words a truce can only be for 1 games. 2 players cannot agree to get in a truce for a whole series. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:49 pm

Well, I said I'd make a decision on the 12th, and the 12th is almost over, so I guess I'd best get to it.

World 2.1
Classic Cities: London
Germany
World War I Gallipoli
Battle for Iraq!
Italy
Rail Europe
Poison Rome
Land and Sea
4 Star Meats

show: justifications

These changes will take effect on August 26th, give or take a day or so for technical reasons. As before, the old list will continue dropping for 30 days afterward, to allow people to wrap up games that have already started.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Question about tokens:

Are you guarenteed a token if you win one of these token games? I played a slew of 1 v 1 games. I didn't manage any tokens for joining, but of the three games i won I was only awarded a token in one of them...Just curious, I couldnt remeber what you originally posted about this and cant find anything on page 1 about token drop rates
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby shoop76 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:Question about tokens:

Are you guarenteed a token if you win one of these token games? I played a slew of 1 v 1 games. I didn't manage any tokens for joining, but of the three games i won I was only awarded a token in one of them...Just curious, I couldnt remeber what you originally posted about this and cant find anything on page 1 about token drop rates

No guarantees, the more players in the game the more likely the token is to drop on game creation and for game win.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:35 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:Question about tokens:

The only thing I know is that it seems to be inversely proportional to the number of players. 12-player games drop 100% of the time, 8-player games drop 8/12 or 2/3 of the time. I haven't counted for other player numbers, but I suspect the relationship holds true at any level, so a 1v1 game (2-player) would drop 2/12 or 1/6 of the time. I think the calculation on win is the same as on game start, but it might be more.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Poly 3/4 games seem to drop around 30-50%, at a guess.
Cook iAmCaffeine

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives