Week 8 began a couple days ago...:)

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: USA Supertournament

Postby bfunny27 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am

TX AG 90 wrote:Damn it Duk - just when I am getting my gameload manageable, you throw this at me - I can't resist!

+1
Lieutenant bfunny27

Postby Generalissimo on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:43 am

when will the florida tournaments be posted?
Sergeant 1st Class Generalissimo

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Generalissimo wrote:when will the florida tournaments be posted?

First one launched yesterday. A new copy should have reiterated when that one filled, but for some reason didn't. Checking into it now.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Generalissimo wrote:when will the florida tournaments be posted?

First one launched yesterday. A new copy should have reiterated when that one filled, but for some reason didn't. Checking into it now.

Okay, next one has iterated now. We are encountering some technical problems with the autotourney engine today, but with a little luck this will continue rolling smoothly.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby josko.ri on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 am

Prizes for this Supertournament are still not posted and it is already week 9. I suggest to award "The Championships" medals for winners and 2nd and 3rd placed because this tournament is within the same range like The Championships and also organized by moderators.
Major josko.ri

Postby Mad777 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 am

josko.ri wrote:Prizes for this Supertournament are still not posted and it is already week 9. I suggest to award "The Championships" medals for winners and 2nd and 3rd placed because this tournament is within the same range like The Championships and also organized by moderators.

Championship medal has been created for Championship event, it is not like a medal to be use for various event...I tried that route with the Madness in Rio and it did't went anywhere...
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby josko.ri on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 am

Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:It would be nice to add tournament achievement medal for winner of each tournament, otherwise we are just competing for some small amount of coins and this supertournament coins.

Madness in Rio has all tournaments awarded with tournament achievement medal.

100 free credits per tourney is nothing to sneeze at, plus there will be grand prizes. Still, a 24-p tournament should have a medal, I agree. Added starting with week 2.

Are you gonna manually add medal for week 1 tournament? I know it can be add while the auto tournament is running but not sure the system will capture it since it started...worth to try...easy to add

This was never answered, I think the Tournament achievement medal for week 1 (Arizona) should be manually added. Week 1 is not less worth than other weeks so prizes should be equal.
Major josko.ri

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:05 pm

josko.ri wrote:
Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:It would be nice to add tournament achievement medal for winner of each tournament, otherwise we are just competing for some small amount of coins and this supertournament coins.

100 free credits per tourney is nothing to sneeze at, plus there will be grand prizes. Still, a 24-p tournament should have a medal, I agree. Added starting with week 2.

Are you gonna manually add medal for week 1 tournament? I know it can be add while the auto tournament is running but not sure the system will capture it since it started...worth to try...easy to add

This was never answered, I think the Tournament achievement medal for week 1 (Arizona) should be manually added. Week 1 is not less worth than other weeks so prizes should be equal.

That issue is still on the table, as well as the overall master prize. It's been a busy time, with Whac-a-Mod, the Olympics, the USA Supertournament, the Great War, resolving the issues of the Challenge medals, and last but not least my own tournaments. Oh yeah, and if I'm ever bored there's always R/L stuff to do, also. :lol: So this just hasn't been a burning priority.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:
Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

That issue is still on the table, as well as the overall master prize. It's been a busy time, with Whac-a-Mod, the Olympics, the USA Supertournament, the Great War, resolving the issues of the Challenge medals, and last but not least my own tournaments. Oh yeah, and if I'm ever bored there's always R/L stuff to do, also. :lol: So this just hasn't been a burning priority.

Hey Duke, may I share my list with you since you seem to have plenty of free time... :lol:
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby josko.ri on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:
Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I just bring this out because Mad777 is saying it is simple thing to do.
Major josko.ri

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:24 pm

josko.ri wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:
Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I just bring this out because Mad777 is saying it is simple thing to do.

Yes I said adding a medal is simple, but if Duke has a thousand of simple thing to do then it become a huge thing to do... :lol:
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:
Mad777 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Hey Duke, may I share my list with you since you seem to have plenty of free time... :lol:

Actually, I was going to ask if I could take you up on your earlier offer to help with the Round 5 re-codes...:)
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Dukasaur wrote:...

Actually, I was going to ask if I could take you up on your earlier offer to help with the Round 5 re-codes...:)

Remember what I said after making testing on Beta, you can set it up for a Dubs round from where the tournament stand after round 4 however you can't revert it back and broke the dubs team as is....perhaps tournament has to be freeze before Round 6 start but that would mean having someone standing behind each tourney to try turning it to draft mode and attempt to revert it from Dubs type and hoping it would work...
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Mad777 wrote:

Remember what I said after making testing on Beta, you can set it up for a Dubs round from where the tournament stand after round 4 however you can't revert it back and broke the dubs team as is....perhaps tournament has to be freeze before Round 6 start but that would mean having someone standing behind each tourney to try turning it to draft mode and attempt to revert it from Dubs type and hoping it would work...

Nah, too much risk. Even if I wanted to do all that, if I get stuck working late and one of the tourneys advances before I get to it, we'll have a mess on our hands. Just going to give up on the Dubs idea, recode all the round 5s to Random S,A,C. Also going Random 1,2 for cards because straight No Spoils is boring without Teams.

Here's the full spec:

Players=4
GameType=S,A,C
InitialTroops=E
PlayOrder=S
BonusCards=1,2
Fortifications=[C,O,M]
WarFog=Y,N
TrenchWarfare=N
RoundLimit=30
SpeedGame=N

Just cut-and-paste. I'll do it eventually, but if you wanted to do some of them before I get there that would be fine.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:48 pm

No promise but I will do my best to get some...I will PM you which one I have done so we don't chase each other :lol:
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Mad777 wrote:No promise but I will do my best to get some...I will PM you which one I have done so we don't chase each other :lol:

Yeah, I won't be doing any until next weekend for sure.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Mad777 wrote:No promise but I will do my best to get some...I will PM you which one I have done so we don't chase each other :lol:

Yeah, I won't be doing any until next weekend for sure.

Ok I should be able to knock more then...try to rectify Florida and on....I will start from week 1
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Mad777 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Mad777 wrote:

Nah, too much risk. Even if I wanted to do all that, if I get stuck working late and one of the tourneys advances before I get to it, we'll have a mess on our hands. Just going to give up on the Dubs idea, recode all the round 5s to Random S,A,C. Also going Random 1,2 for cards because straight No Spoils is boring without Teams.

Here's the full spec:

Players=4
GameType=S,A,C
InitialTroops=E
PlayOrder=S
BonusCards=1,2
Fortifications=[C,O,M]
WarFog=Y,N
TrenchWarfare=N
RoundLimit=30
SpeedGame=N

Just cut-and-paste. I'll do it eventually, but if you wanted to do some of them before I get there that would be fine.

I went thru all AT that were available into the database up to now, modified Round 5 in all of them using the above format, I found several that were not "Dubs" but only Standard (Delaware, Florida & Georgia), I went ahead and changed them as well...I let you review the 4 pages of ATs but I think I got them all covered :P

EDIT: Added Tournament Achievement for all 01 - Alabama series that were missing ;)

....need a drink now....
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:24 am

Mad777 wrote:
I went thru all AT that were available into the database up to now, modified Round 5 in all of them using the above format, I found several that were not "Dubs" but only Standard (Delaware, Florida & Georgia), I went ahead and changed them as well...I let you review the 4 pages of ATs but I think I got them all covered :P

EDIT: Added Tournament Achievement for all 01 - Alabama series that were missing ;)

....need a drink now....

Wow, man, that's amazing! Thank you very much!
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Week 9, Florida, has wrapped up.

I wish everyone in Florida the best of luck in getting through the great calamity that you are facing.

Week 10 began last Tuesday.

Week 11 begins next Tuesday.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:56 pm

For those who have been following the conversation (and for those who have not, also) we have had to make a change in the tournaments.

From the time that I conceived this project, I expected that it would contain at least one round of Team games. For balance and robustness I felt the Team game type had to be included. Team games have already been played in semi-automatic tournaments, and it seemed like a pretty small leap from semi-auto to auto. Sadly, it seems it isn't. We have tried over and over again to make fully-automatic Team tournaments work on the Beta site, and they have all failed. It seems getting the brain-dead autotournament engine to understand partnership will require a complete rewrite of the engine core, which bigWham is not willing to undertake at this time.

Mad777 (who has invested an enormous amount of effort in this project -- many, many thanks, Mad!) has a workaround that involves taking the tournament out of auto mode before the start of the round, creating the next round in semi-auto mode, then resuming full auto afterwards. Having done something like that during the Triples Championships, I know how slow and labour-intensive that can be. The Triples Championship was one tournament; the USA Supertournament will have something in the neighbourhood of 300 component tournaments. I'm just not willing to put in that kind of effort 300 times over. Plus, there are weeks when I get really busy in real life and have to ignore CC for a couple weeks. The last thing we need is for a tournament to crash out because I didn't notice that it was getting close to the team round. I have a tremendous amount of admiration for the work Mad777 has done in this regard, but the semi-auto solution is not for me.

Consequently, we have changed the format of Round 5 in these tournaments. The doubles that were to have been played in Round 5 have been removed and replaced with a set of three games: a randomized set of Assassin, Standard, and Terminator. Round 5 was also to have been No Spoils (because No Spoils is the most popular card option for Team games.) That has been changed to a randomly No Spoils / Escalating. (Most people prefer Esc in multiplayer games, but a 50/50 chance of No Spoils remains for those who really love that.) All tournaments in this series have been updated accordingly.

I generally don't like changing a tournament format after it has begun, but in this case there really isn't a better choice. A bunch of crashed-out tournaments wouldn't benefit anyone.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby josko.ri on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:14 am

Is it possible to go over the loophole if you put Team games in round 1 instead of round 5? Then you just need to do the manual adjustment once when the tournament starts.

I would refer that Team doubles is replaced with Poly (2) because it seems most natural similar and replacement and because you already have Poly (4) and Poly(3) but not Poly(2) in the tournament. Poly (2) is not that far from Team Doubles but Assassin and Terminator which you offer as replacements are definitely far different from Team Doubles.
Major josko.ri

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 am

josko.ri wrote:Is it possible to go over the loophole if you put Team games in round 1 instead of round 5? Then you just need to do the manual adjustment once when the tournament starts.

I would refer that Team doubles is replaced with Poly (2) because it seems most natural similar and replacement and because you already have Poly (4) and Poly(3) but not Poly(2) in the tournament. Poly (2) is not that far from Team Doubles but Assassin and Terminator which you offer as replacements are definitely far different from Team Doubles.

That's true, and it did occur to me, but I'm thinking of the majority. Poly is not as popular as A/S/T, and there are already two rounds of Poly in these tournaments. Having three rounds of Poly in seven would hugely over-represent them for the many players that aren't fond of that format.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby josko.ri on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 am

Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:Is it possible to go over the loophole if you put Team games in round 1 instead of round 5? Then you just need to do the manual adjustment once when the tournament starts.

That's true, and it did occur to me, but I'm thinking of the majority. Poly is not as popular as A/S/T, and there are already two rounds of Poly in these tournaments. Having three rounds of Poly in seven would hugely over-represent them for the many players that aren't fond of that format.

To give you counterargument, there are already 3 rounds of Standard/Terminator/Assassin, with points per game 8+7+5 = 20 from these rounds. For comparison, there are two rounds of Poly (3) and (4), with 3+4 = 7 points per game. So from S/T/A we can already earn 20 points per game from 3 rounds while from Poly we can only earn 7 points per game from 2 rounds.

Is it really fair to add one more round of S/T/A in addition to already existing rounds where there can be earned 20 points per game if a players wins 1 S/T/A, which is way much more points than how much it can be earned by Poly rounds?
Major josko.ri

PreviousNext

Return to Super Events/Special Tournaments