Conquer Club

Métro Parisien v.17

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Métro Parisien

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 08, 2015 11:54 am

You've done a magnificent job.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 pm

other idea, the tiles on the walls of the metro stations look like this:

Major betiko

Postby betiko on Fri May 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Look at what a metro map on a station wall looks like. You could totally use the theme for the title of the map as well.

Major betiko

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri May 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Also, it's Tour Eiffel - 2 f's.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby waauw on Sun May 10, 2015 6:40 am

Click image to enlarge.

Is this what you had in mind?

changes:
  • changed fonts
  • changed backgrounds obviously
  • changed title
  • Changed VLA to Villejuif
  • eifel ==> eiffel
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.5

Postby waauw on Sun May 10, 2015 7:19 am

small version:
Lieutenant waauw

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sun May 10, 2015 7:26 am

I LIKE!!

I do think station names need to be fully spelled out, though - it looks like you have plenty of room on the map.
For the legend, maybe have one station name below the other, with the number of bonus troops to the right?

Also, the first E in Eiffel should be capitalized.

sempai

Postby waauw on Sun May 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

small changes:
  • made the map background colours brighter as the contrast was too great with the brick wall(might have made it a tad too light, not sure though)
  • cleaned up legend
  • abbreviated all the names that weren't abbreviated yet(except for a couple of exceptions)
  • changed description of map on first page of thread

question: do you think the map objectif might be too easy for 1v1s?
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.6

Postby JBlombier on Sun May 10, 2015 6:20 pm

I don't think the map objective is too easy for 1v1, but I think that's hard to predict without playing it.

The first thing I noticed are a lot of dead ends. That makes sense, of course. It is how it is. But I don't think it does the playability any good. Take a map like 4 Star Meats. That map has a bunch of dead ends and they can be attacked by the Special Offer. My opinion is that this map needs something like that, but I can't really think of anything that makes sense. Maybe the Eiffel Tower can bombard the outer stations, because it's so high. Hmm, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I hope you get my point. Too much dead ends are usually decreasing the playability.

- JBlombier
Colonel JBlombier

Postby waauw on Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm

JBlombier wrote:I don't think the map objective is too easy for 1v1, but I think that's hard to predict without playing it.

The first thing I noticed are a lot of dead ends. That makes sense, of course. It is how it is. But I don't think it does the playability any good. Take a map like 4 Star Meats. That map has a bunch of dead ends and they can be attacked by the Special Offer. My opinion is that this map needs something like that, but I can't really think of anything that makes sense. Maybe the Eiffel Tower can bombard the outer stations, because it's so high. Hmm, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I hope you get my point. Too much dead ends are usually decreasing the playability.

- JBlombier

Hmmm, you're probably right. That was btw one of the things I preferred about the roads map over the subway map.
What about this: "End stations connect to end stations of the same line if you hold one the lines' bonuses."

other option: "airports connect to all end stations"

There are more ideas jumping to mind. However I can not make the bonuses too hard to hold by connecting them with too many other stations. And making too many different special connections would unnecessarily complicate the map(like for example connectin every monument with an end station.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby dakky21 on Sun May 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Both for me don't make sense... I wouldn't change anything - attack routes or blocked territories. The map is good as it is, but this will never get the Graphics stamp. It looks like we're in 1998 and everything is drawn in MS Paint from Windows 98. It may be the font, it may be the edgy everything, I don't know, this map just looks old style...
Captain dakky21

Postby waauw on Mon May 11, 2015 12:40 am

dakky21 wrote:Both for me don't make sense... I wouldn't change anything - attack routes or blocked territories. The map is good as it is, but this will never get the Graphics stamp. It looks like we're in 1998 and everything is drawn in MS Paint from Windows 98. It may be the font, it may be the edgy everything, I don't know, this map just looks old style...

It's fairly obvious I have very little clue of how GIMP works. I'm only still watching tutorials. This has been an opus of sheer power of will. I think if I keep working on it and keep experimenting on it more than all those experienced people, I will get it right eventually.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon May 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Nice work - keep going =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Koganosi on Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm

I think its not a bad idea to connect the 2 airports, maybe make a third in the nort west, although you are trying to recreate the real one.

The objective, I dont like it. Seems to eager in 1v1 and I dont think a rail map really needs an objective. I dunno but the thing I always loved in rail that there was a big city in the middle, which could atack towards every point in that city and from which every point ran into another line, might wanne change 1 big centerpoint, maybe even 2-3 small ones into that. That makes it better in my opinion, also makes cutting off a line harder, since alot of lines now run dead after 3-4 terro's and seem easily defended!

urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby waauw on Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Koganosi wrote:I think its not a bad idea to connect the 2 airports, maybe make a third in the nort west, although you are trying to recreate the real one.

The objective, I dont like it. Seems to eager in 1v1 and I dont think a rail map really needs an objective. I dunno but the thing I always loved in rail that there was a big city in the middle, which could atack towards every point in that city and from which every point ran into another line, might wanne change 1 big centerpoint, maybe even 2-3 small ones into that. That makes it better in my opinion, also makes cutting off a line harder, since alot of lines now run dead after 3-4 terro's and seem easily defended!

urs

Koganosi

To be honest I prefer not to make the map like the railmaps. I'm aiming for a gameplay more like 'northwest passage' to make the map more unique. We got enough Rail maps as it is, so I personally think we don't need another one. Not sure what other people think of it though.

And about the objective, I might just delete it completely. You are right that an objective is obsolete.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm

waauw wrote:
Koganosi wrote:I think its not a bad idea to connect the 2 airports, maybe make a third in the nort west, although you are trying to recreate the real one.

urs

Koganosi

To be honest I prefer not to make the map like the railmaps. I'm aiming for a gameplay more like 'northwest passage' to make the map more unique. We got enough Rail maps as it is, so I personally think we don't need another one. Not sure what other people think of it though.

And about the objective, I might just delete it completely. You are right that an objective is obsolete.

I like this. I like Northwest Passage. I like nice little places to hide.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon May 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Koganosi wrote:I think its not a bad idea to connect the 2 airports, maybe make a third in the nort west
Beauvais? Probably a bit of a stretch, since it's not actually close enough to Paris to be served by the métro, but it's an option.

sempai

Postby Donelladan on Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 am

waauw wrote:

urs

Koganosi

I think you made a rail map anyway. Doesn't matter if you want to have a central connection in some place, your map definitely look like a rail map to me. But it's pretty normal since you took a subway map to make it, no problem with it.

Personally I would have like that you make a much bigger map and keep all subway station of paris. That would have make a very big complex map but that could have been fun.

As a non-parisian, watching the subway map of paris always make me a bit lost, and I feel it is a mess. When i watch your map, I do not recognize this mess. But would be way more complicated of course.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby betiko on Tue May 12, 2015 5:02 am

Donelladan wrote:
waauw wrote:

urs

Koganosi

I think you made a rail map anyway. Doesn't matter if you want to have a central connection in some place, your map definitely look like a rail map to me. But it's pretty normal since you took a subway map to make it, no problem with it.

Personally I would have like that you make a much bigger map and keep all subway station of paris. That would have make a very big complex map but that could have been fun.

As a non-parisian, watching the subway map of paris always make me a bit lost, and I feel it is a mess. When i watch your map, I do not recognize this mess. But would be way more complicated of course.

It would be really impossible to make a map with all the lines and stations, not sure that with a map the size of USA 2.1 it would've been readable.
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

changes:
  • added some shadows to show that the map is contained in a mapbox or whatever it's called
  • re-arranged legend to create more space
  • added a heliport(according to the true paris heliport at Issy-les-moulinaux)
  • added central bus stations to St. Lazare and gare du Nord as those are the 2 primary bus-stations in Paris
  • added bus connections to the dead ends that I felt needed a connection the most
  • updated connections in the legend
  • changed background bricks slightly

@Donelladan: Having a map with all the stations would have been nice but that would indeed require a supersized map and I'm not even certain even a supersized map would have been enough. Nor am I certain I would receive permission for a supersized map. Also comes the problem, as you mentioned that size increases complexity. This map is not a traditional map as you see in world 2.1, making it slightly harder to grasp an overview from. So making it supersized and adding even more stations, lines and bonuses might make the map too complex.

@Betiko: yeah I know. It is very much like the railmaps, but I was referring to the overlapping bonus areas. The railmaps don't have those. Northwest Passage does.

@Koganosi: A centerpoint brings several problems with it for me imo. Firstly, as I mentioned before, I want the map to not be an exact copy of cairnswk's railmaps. Secondly creating a large centerpoint would probably take up quite a bit of space on a map that is already close to overcrowdedness. And lastly, as you correctly noticed, I'm am trying to and I've been urged to keeping it as close to reality as possible.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby waauw on Wed May 20, 2015 9:11 am

Click image to enlarge.

changes:
  • worked some colours
  • worked some shadows
  • added more touristic spots
  • added cemeteries, gardens and trees
  • made a fold into the sticker
  • applied slight blurs to make the stations and lines a little less edgy
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.7

Postby waauw on Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 am

ps: @dakky21 After consideration, except for the wall and frame, I don't think I will ever be able to make the map itself non-painty. Not when the concept is one of those paper maps you can get in every city. Those always look a bit painty as they are never meant to have extra-ordinary graphics. I will see what I can still do for the map and frame, but the rest is too stuck to concept.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby dakky21 on Fri May 22, 2015 7:20 am

I like the map just don't like the font used. You could try smoother one like the Paris itself is written in the top left corner.
BTW don't know if that's on purpose, but you wrote lignes in Victory obj. I get it is the french name for lines, but maybe you should change Victory obj. to Victoire or Triomphe? And entire to total or complet?
Captain dakky21

Postby waauw on Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

changes:
  • shadows
  • colours
  • fonts
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.8

Postby Bruceswar on Tue May 26, 2015 11:50 am

What graphics program are you working with? I will show you something if you can let me know.
Font looks good on the large, but not so hot on the small. This map is getting better.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry