Conquer Club

Map Foundry at Work

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Foundry at Work

Postby HitRed on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Seems appropriate for the Map Foundry
Captain HitRed

Re: Map Foundry at Work

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Image

So Duk, does this mean you consider successful CC game design to be equivalent to chronic and obnoxious telemarketing harassment?
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby TeeGee on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:42 pm

HitRed wrote:Image

Think the foundry could do with a few volunteers to help iancanton out.. I don't see anyone putting there hand up to assist though :(

Send him a PM if you are willing to help.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby HitRed on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:14 pm

TeeGee wrote:
HitRed wrote:Image

Think the foundry could do with a few volunteers to help iancanton out.. I don't see anyone putting there hand up to assist though :(

Send him a PM if you are willing to help.

This is the current active members of the Map Foundry.

Ian Canton - Leader
EBConquer - Graphics
Swifte - Map creator
HitRed - Map creator

There maybe others in the Beta testing area.

I think that is it though.

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Postby IcePack on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Just like anything, an area needs people who are willing to put in time and cultivate it. That might be all thats active now, but under the right circumstances, that might change.
I think bruceswar and dakky21 also had some activity with map design for awhile. IDK where they stand now.

As well as my trying to get some cross involvement with the other dept to get a new map (Trafalaxy) going with EBConquer's and Iancanton's help.

With things like that to help propel activity, I could see the area become relevant again (i just don't have the time personally beyond clan stuff).
A special focus on BR's could be used instead of "only" coliseum, there are several other cool / interesting projects and things that could be partnered with to get something going.
Now, the map makers are few. But if someone had the time and energy, you could almost start a "map class" where you walk someone through some basic gimp stuff like a bob ross show,
I have gimp installed but don't know how to use it. I don't have the time to watch hours of tutorials on some of the crazy stuff you can do with it.

But if it was super condensed into what you would need / how to come up with a CC map, different steps you need to take etc...maybe others would be willing to try and learn.
Maybe I would take a stab at it. The biggest thing for me, is I've never had a map idea that I thought was worth while. Every time I've had an idea, when I asked someone who knew XML,
they said the special features I wanted weren't available. So unfortunately, that inspiration / desire to learn has never come (for me).

But with the right person, I think it might cultivate it into a small functional group of people again. I'm sure its hard for iancanton to feel passionate and really pursue stuff when he feels alone and the only guy doing everything. At the end of the day, you need a group of passionate people to surround a project and help make it work.

Its almost like we have a brand new foundry, except we have existing maps. So because we have existing maps, nobody is willing / able to put together a whole new foundry

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

CODE BANK - The Greatest Resource

Postby HitRed on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 am

The greatest need is a CODE BANK. One spot...all the map codes. No broken links. 99.9% of all questions could be answered using both the XML Guide and the CODE BANK. Code writers could learn from 249 quenched examples! Absolute GOLD!

That's my wish.

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Return to Foundry Discussions