Conquer Club

Small Map Images

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Small Map Images

Postby chapcrap on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:06 am

Bringing Discussion over from Suggestions to see what the Foundry thinks of this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=151879

ManBungalow wrote:Concise description:
  • Have massively scaled-down versions of certain maps which can be modified thusly.

Specifics/Details:
  • This doesn't mean scaling down the existing images, but instead means creating a new image (optional, of course), which can be used instead of the existing small/large images.
  • Imagine the current Classic map. Then look at the following image:
    Assume the gameplay is the same as the Classic map. My point is really that all necessary information can be portrayed in such a small image.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • As MrBenn stated in his map development thread, this kind of map would allow people to play CC on whatever hand-held gadgets are cool these days, and bring us one step closer to a functional app for such devices.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Small Map Images

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:31 am

i'm horrified by such an image and i can't even imagine how hideous some maps would be.
however if it is only an optional thing then i support it. if a map maker wants to create a 3rd (supersmall) image then i can't see anything wrong with this.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:43 am

As the original image was for portable contraptions like phones then it could be an option of a size of map. I would hate to see the map makers be made to have an image that would have to be scaled down that much.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 am

How many maps are even possible to scale down to that size?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 am

I think that the small map project was postponed for now. In any case the idea wasn't to have the same maps....but you should ask to MrBenn, he followed this project more than me, this because i think we have bigger and more urgent things to do than this one.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby chapcrap on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 am

After I have thought about it more, I don't think it would matter much anyway. When I play on my iPhone, I have to zoom in to the map to be able to use clickable maps anyway. Even with a small map, I would still need to do this. I supposed that if you weren't using clickable maps and could see the whole map at once it would be slightly helpful, but to me, as a player, it doesn't matter much.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Foundry Discussions