Conquer Club

VictoryUnited.com

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: VictoryUnited.com

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Have to agree with natty. facebook is for little girls and old men.

Hey! I resent that :(

-Sully

ya whiny little girl. :twisted:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:05 pm

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Have to agree with natty. facebook is for little girls and old men.

Hey! I resent that :(

-Sully

ya whiny little girl. :twisted:

Pff, well I guess someone ain't gettin' none o' this.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Here's a fun experiment: google "facebook privacy failure" and see how many results come up...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:Here's a fun experiment: google "facebook privacy failure" and see how many results come up...

then google "facebook privacy success" and you'll get 3 times more results. :lol:

PS: not defending facebook just saying that your argument is useless.

PPS: i don't have a facebook account or any other social network account for that matter. not because i'm paranoid but simply because i do not need it.

PPPS: facebook can be used safely if you apply common sense. unfortunately most users are imbeciles that would gladly share their credit card info
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 pm

DiM wrote:then google "facebook privacy success" and you'll get 3 times more results.

But those results won't be as relevant to the search. Sure, you can get results by googling pretty much anything, but that was beside the point...

DiM wrote:PPPS: facebook can be used safely if you apply common sense. unfortunately most users are imbeciles that would gladly share their credit card info

Sure it can... until, whoops, facebook decides your private information should actually be public to everyone. Think it won't happen? It has happened before...

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/ ... -backlash/

DiM wrote:PPS: i don't have a facebook account or any other social network account for that matter. not because i'm paranoid but simply because i do not need it.

Not wanting to hand control of your private information over to a website that has proven multiple times that it has no respect for your wishes regarding how you want that information to be handled is not paranoid, it's just common sense.

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:28 pm

I agree with DiM on this one. People who post all their info, even if they restrict it are idiots.

FB's only use for me at least is staying in touch with friends, getting help with homework etc, getting updates for sports teams etc.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:40 pm

QoH wrote:I agree with DiM on this one. People who post all their info, even if they restrict it are idiots.

FB's only use for me at least is staying in touch with friends, getting help with homework etc, getting updates for sports teams etc.

Oh but it doesn't stop there. FB also collects information from you involuntarily. You know about tracking cookies?

How do you feel about facebook knowing your entire browsing history, including all sites you visit - even ones that have nothing to do with Facebook?

How do you feel about Facebook keeping an archive of all the images you upload there, even if you request deleting of them?

How do you feel about Facebook censoring your private messages, and not allowing you to include addresses of certain websites in your private messages on Facebook... like, for example, sites that criticize Facebook?

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 am

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:PPPS: facebook can be used safely if you apply common sense. unfortunately most users are imbeciles that would gladly share their credit card info

Sure it can... until, whoops, facebook decides your private information should actually be public to everyone. Think it won't happen? It has happened before...

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/ ... -backlash/

what private information? if you apply common sense. then no private information should be on their servers to share.
if i ever join such a site the only info they'll get for me is an email address created especially for this. so they can give it to whoever they want cause it's not the personal one ;)
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:41 am

natty_dread wrote:
QoH wrote:I agree with DiM on this one. People who post all their info, even if they restrict it are idiots.

Oh but it doesn't stop there. FB also collects information from you involuntarily. You know about tracking cookies?

How do you feel about facebook knowing your entire browsing history, including all sites you visit - even ones that have nothing to do with Facebook?

How do you feel about Facebook keeping an archive of all the images you upload there, even if you request deleting of them?

How do you feel about Facebook censoring your private messages, and not allowing you to include addresses of certain websites in your private messages on Facebook... like, for example, sites that criticize Facebook?

bullshit. yeah and facebook also knows the size of my underwear.

as i said, common sense. if you don't want your private info all over the net then don't share it.
don't know about other browsers but firefox can be set to accept cookies only from the sites you trust. so if you don't trust facebook then you won't get those tracking cookies.
if you don't want them to have your sensitive images then don't upload them.
as for censorship while i do think that's crap if exists, it also isn't an invasion of privacy.

again, facebook only gets what you give it. don't give out sensitive info and you'll be fine.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 am

DiM wrote:what private information? if you apply common sense. then no private information should be on their servers to share.

How about your browsing history?

You know, even if you don't use facebook, they still have information from you. Just look on your cookies list, I bet you a fictional amount of money there's a facebook.com cookie in there. Because if you've used any site that has any facebook plugins (like those like-buttons) then there probably is one.

That's a tracking cookie that, among other things, keeps tabs on your browsing history, records every site you visit, so that if you eventually do open that facebook account, facebook will know, in addition to your real name (if you choose to give it to them) your browsing history, your IP, your computer model...

DiM wrote:bullshit. yeah and facebook also knows the size of my underwear.

Sadly, no bullshit.

DiM wrote: firefox can be set to accept cookies only from the sites you trust. so if you don't trust facebook then you won't get those tracking cookies.

That means you also won't be able to use Facebook. (Not that it's a bad thing or anything...)

DiM wrote:if you don't want them to have your sensitive images then don't upload them.

Sadly, these days, it's likely your moron friend will put your image on facebook without asking you...

DiM wrote:as for censorship while i do think that's crap if exists

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/22/facebook-censorship/

DiM wrote:it also isn't an invasion of privacy.

I didn't claim it was.

DiM wrote:again, facebook only gets what you give it. don't give out sensitive info and you'll be fine.

Yeah... for now.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 am

YOu have the wrong idea about tracking cookies natty. They are only used for the website they are from. If you have your browser set to accept cookies then all someone has to do is look at all your cookie crumbs and see what sites you visit. Cookies are site specific, not web specific. So if you don't want people to see where you have been, then delete all cookies from your system.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:57 am

isaiah40 wrote:YOu have the wrong idea about tracking cookies natty. They are only used for the website they are from. If you have your browser set to accept cookies then all someone has to do is look at all your cookie crumbs and see what sites you visit. Cookies are site specific, not web specific. So if you don't want people to see where you have been, then delete all cookies from your system.

No, YOU have the wrong idea.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/face ... acker/4374

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:36 am

Anyways...good points about the HTML5, and honestly stuff is in the works that (I hope, at least) will get the ball rolling toward DiM's wishlist of consistent and useful updates. And as much as I hate Facebook Connect (my New Year's Resolution: delete my account), it really reduces the barriers to entry for a lot of people. Privacy concerns really aren't a concern for a lot of people (true story), and while phishing and other social engineering are on the rise, mental inoculation against the same is moving faster. This is due in part to the breaches that "make it all public" sites like Facebook have exposed. So love it or hate it, overall a positive thing.

And there is no requirement to use FC to get on CC. I have made a deliberate point to create a separate login for each site, despite having FC as an option. I'm certain that you and I are not the only ones, natty.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:31 am

VictorsUnited is following me on Twitter :shock:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions