Conquer Club

Inkling

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Inkling

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:51 am

The Bison King wrote:Weird very weird.... Here's one I did playing around with the wacom the other day in photoshop:

i wish i could draw like that :?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 am

Oh, here's a sketch of my cat I made about 6 months ago...

And my hamster, this I made when I first got my tablet

Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 am

It'd be interesting to see a map that had visual elements with which you've experimented (with or without the cat. ))

like Equestrian civil war? lol

i wish i could draw like that

No you don't, it's a curse not a gift. Cause where I can draw like that, you can probably do math or a myriad of other useful talents like skateboarding, sports, or ghost riding the whip.

To Natty

I hate that pig, it's horrible and disgusting!!!!

I like the more painterly animal drawings. They've got a nice relaxed feel to them. understated subtle colors.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:35 am

The Bison King wrote:I hate that pig, it's horrible and disgusting!!!!

Yes, that is it's purpose. It's a nihilistic man-pig. Or pigman.

Btw I really like the smooth line work on that cat drawing. Which tablet did you get? Is it one of the larger ones (a5 - a4 size)?

... but hey, maybe you'll like this little pig better.

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:
The Bison King wrote:I hate that pig, it's horrible and disgusting!!!!

Yes, that is it's purpose. It's a nihilistic man-pig. Or pigman.

Btw I really like the smooth line work on that cat drawing. Which tablet did you get? Is it one of the larger ones (a5 - a4 size)?

thanks, the key is doing a rough sketch on a lower layer and then going over it on another layer so you can focus on just making then line look pretty. It's an Intuos2, an older model I know. I got it for free actually. An illustrator I knew/know was moving after a divorce and was getting rid of a lot of extra stuff he had. SCORE!

And yes that pig is less of an affront to me.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:21 pm

The Bison King wrote:thanks, the key is doing a rough sketch on a lower layer and then going over it on another layer so you can focus on just making then line look pretty.

Yeah, I usually do that - not on my quick sketches, but on more complicated works. I tend to think of the first layer as a "pencil" layer and the second as the "ink" layer... GIMP's ink tool is really good for doing the final lines, I just always forget to use it :lol:

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 am

Since this thread has pretty much moved to me & tbk showing off our drawings, I thought I'd post some of my more artistic stuff... problem is a lot of them aren't really suitable to post here.....

Well, here's a work-in-progress I've started recently. The inking isn't all done, and haven't even thought about the colours yet... also, I was going to give her wings but turns out they are kinda hard to draw...

Here's another, this one is slightly more advanced, it only lacks background and some colouring tweaks...

Postby The Bison King on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:29 am

ince this thread has pretty much moved to me & tbk showing off our drawings,

Lol yeah, I'll roll with that. Is like the only condition that we've used a wacom tablet in some way or can we drop that too?

I think I inked this on paper as several different drawings and combined them on the computer. The color was definitely wacom/photoshop. The BG's kind of flat and lame IMO. Landscapes aren't really my strong suite.

another wacom drawing, just playing around with new stuff. Basically just wanted to draw a cute girl... I made her holding a free pizza sign, cause I guess I thought that would some how justify it??? dude I don't even know... you posted some girls so I thought I should rebuttal.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 am

The Bison King wrote:Basically just wanted to draw a cute girl... I made her holding a free pizza sign, cause I guess I thought that would some how justify it???

Lol, the story of 90% of my drawings :lol:

The Bison King wrote:Is like the only condition that we've used a wacom tablet in some way or can we drop that too?

Well if you want to show off other drawings as well, I don't see why not... although the tablet specification would keep the thread at least somewhat on topic I guess... idk.

I have to just ask, what size is the intuos2 tablet you use? I'm using the smallest Bamboo tablet, which is A6 size, so I usually have to work at a 200% zoom to get the lines smooth & accurate...

Postby The Bison King on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:48 pm

That's like 12% of my drawings, then there's 58% of Cat's are cool, then the remaining 30% are IDK Squirrels and shit...

I have to just ask, what size is the intuos2 tablet you use? I'm using the smallest Bamboo tablet, which is A6 size, so I usually have to work at a 200% zoom to get the lines smooth & accurate...

I don't know the specs the drawing space is a little smaller that the average piece of paper. Obviously the bigger the better. I still prefer drawing on paper but I recognize the convenience wacoms offer. That's why I want an Inkling. It's kind of the best of both worlds!

Any way it's your turn to post something.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:13 am

The Bison King wrote:

That's like 12% of my drawings, then there's 58% of Cat's are cool, then the remaining 30% are IDK Squirrels and shit...

Yeah the 90 was a bit hyperbole... it's really around 40... well 50 at max...

I don't know the specs the drawing space is a little smaller that the average piece of paper. Obviously the bigger the better. I still prefer drawing on paper but I recognize the convenience wacoms offer. That's why I want an Inkling. It's kind of the best of both worlds!

Any way it's your turn to post something.

So... around a5 - a4 size? That's neat.

What I'd really want would be one of those Cintiq things... but alas, even the smallest one costs around 800€ so... :(

Oh yeah, drawing... well I browsed around and found this. I think I was high or drunk or something when I did it...

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions