Conquer Club

Printing/building a conquer club game

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Printing/building a conquer club game

Postby pall.e on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Hey guys,
I know this is not directly related to the foundry but I was wondering if anyone has actually printed any of the maps out and played with them in real life? There are a couple of great maps that CC has that would be fun to play in real life but I am not sure what the copyright/licensing issues on that would be. I tried to search the forum for a previous topic like this but I couldn't even figure out what to search. Any advice if I want to try it out?
Sergeant pall.e

Re: Printing/building a conquer club game

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:22 pm

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:56 am

The maps on CC are too low resolution for printing. A 800x800 map would come out, on a 100dpi resolution, as 20x20 cm.

Anyway, if you're only printing the images for your own personal use, ie. you're not planning to sell them, you don't have to worry about copyright.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:32 am

natty_dread wrote:The maps on CC are too low resolution for printing. A 800x800 map would come out, on a 100dpi resolution, as 20x20 cm.

Anyway, if you're only printing the images for your own personal use, ie. you're not planning to sell them, you don't have to worry about copyright.

Sorry but you are wrong. Let's say you go to one of those places on the internet where you can download a cd free of charge for your own personal use, according to copyright law this is illegal. As a matter of fact a lot of those sites got sued for that very reason. It's the same thing if you take one of the maps and print it out for your own use, it is illegal. Of course if the mapmaker gives you permission to print it out for your own personal use then okay.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 am

isaiah40 wrote:
natty_dread wrote:The maps on CC are too low resolution for printing. A 800x800 map would come out, on a 100dpi resolution, as 20x20 cm.

Sorry but you are wrong. Let's say you go to one of those places on the internet where you can download a cd free of charge for your own personal use, according to copyright law this is illegal. As a matter of fact a lot of those sites got sued for that very reason. It's the same thing if you take one of the maps and print it out for your own use, it is illegal. Of course if the mapmaker gives you permission to print it out for your own personal use then okay.

There's no copyright law on earth that can make it illegal for you to print any image you want from the internet and use it for your own personal use. That's just absurd. It's like saying if you take a photograph of a public place you have to ask permission from the person who owns the buildings in the image before printing said photograph.

Even if such laws exist somewhere, they're practically impossible to enforce. No one can't tell you you can't take an image from the internet and print a copy of it. It's fair use, if you only use the image for your own personal use.

TV shows are copyrighted as well, yet you can record as many TV shows and play them back later as you like.

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:26 am

copyright or no copyright i doubt any of the map makers will come to your house and check in your sock drawer for hidden printed cc maps ;)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:11 am

DiM wrote:copyright or no copyright i doubt any of the map makers will come to your house and check in your sock drawer for hidden printed cc maps ;)

Are you sure about that? ;)

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:37 pm

All in all, it is always best to get permission from the mapmaker.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:06 pm

isaiah40 wrote:All in all, it is always best to get permission from the mapmaker.

Why? And how'd you get a permission from the ones who're no longer on the site?

I very seriously doubt any of the current or past mapmakers would care one bit if someone wants to print out copies of their maps for their own personal use.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:53 pm

If the purpose is for your own private use and your printed image is not lent or shared with anyone you don't need permission. If, for example, you want to print a map to organize a public risk tournament instead you need permission from the mapmaker, even if the mapmaker can't check you're using his map. (steal or make profit from someone else work without permission is in any case against law, to make a stupid example if you steal a candy and no one see you, you stole it anyway ;) )

Back to your question, if you want print a map to play with your friends at home you're free to do that. It's a thing called fair use, although could be nice tell to your friends where you found it and who draw it. Maybe one of them could be a future good mapmaker on this site. :mrgreen:

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Return to Foundry Discussions