Encouraging novice map-makers & USA discouragement

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Encouraging novice map-makers & USA discouragement

Postby BGtheBrain on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 am

I dont follow the foundry, but from the only map Ive followed that a clan mate did (Yup, just so you know I am biased on this one)
This One

The idea was unique and Dana was open to discussion.
Reading the thread the map was praised by alot of people.

I now view the Foundry as nothing more than a joke and even if I had any capability of making a map (which I dont) I wouldnt bother putting it there.

The Cow Map should live
Captain BGtheBrain
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Medals: 96
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (43) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (4)

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 am

BGtheBrain wrote:I dont follow the foundry, but from the only map Ive followed that a clan mate did (Yup, just so you know I am biased on this one)
This One

The idea was unique and Dana was open to discussion.
Reading the thread the map was praised by alot of people.

I now view the Foundry as nothing more than a joke and even if I had any capability of making a map (which I dont) I wouldnt bother putting it there.

The Cow Map should live

actually you're wrong on all accounts.
1. the idea is not unique at all. cow maps have been tried and suggested plenty of times before. the idea is about as unique as a brain map or a rubik's cube map.
2. dana wasn't at all open to discussion. in fact he was very reluctant to change and constantly hid behind artificial support from his clan mates
3. the map was praised mostly by the people he called to the thread to come and give praise

seeing how you're completely wrong about everything and how your perception of the foundry is so skewed i guess it's a good thing you won't ever bother making a map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby BGtheBrain on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 am

lol

of course we (clanmates) praised his map, but there were plenty of others who were not clanmates.
Go do a count of positive feedback vs negative
Then takeout clanmates and its still overwhelmingly in support of the map.

Dont be mad that Im telling it like it is.
Captain BGtheBrain
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (43) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (4)

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am

BGtheBrain wrote:lol

of course we (clanmates) praised his map, but there were plenty of others who were not clanmates.

first of all most of his support came either from clan members or one time foundry comers. people that have rarely or never posted in the foundry and were either called to support or came and enjoyed the silly idea.
most of the foundry veterans or the CAs, basically people with map making experience were against it.

but that's nothing because map support doesn't mean automatic quench. there have been plenty of maps with lots of support that got abandoned just because they were stupid (vomit map, sperm invasion map, etc)

if quenching a map was just a matter of support then we'd have plenty of maps about sex or drugs. do you see any such maps in live play?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby BGtheBrain on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:59 am

Sex? Yes
Drugs? Acid maybe

Seriously though, no I dont.

Anyways, Im done being a pain about this. this was some frustration I shouldve spouted on the original Cow Map thread, instead of here.

Sorry about that.
Captain BGtheBrain
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

General Contribution (4)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:07 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:lol

You're not telling like it is. No offense, but you have no idea how the foundry works, and the only reason you're speaking up is to defend your clanmate.

The first part of your sentence is telling: "of course we clanmates praised his map". Yeah, and that's exactly the kind of attitude that is unwelcome in the foundry. If one of my clanmates made a shitty map, I would tell it to him straight out. Any clan affiliations need to be ignored when it comes to the foundry. Mapmaking is not, and should not be a popularity contest.

But hey, maybe it's different in the C&A section... maybe it's ok there to stick up for your clanmates and stuff? If I get accused of cheating, and I gather my clanmates and dozens of people in the C&A thread who say I'm a great dude and am obviously innocent, will I be cleared of charges despite the evidence?

And if that's not the case... then why do you expect the foundry to work any different?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby BGtheBrain on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:22 pm

You're a joke natty.
Clan members should be treated like everyone else, not ignored.

You were the first the be negative about the map bc it failed before. You linked to a horrible version of a cow.

Something shouldn't be ignored because someone else made a crappier version of something first.

Either way, thanks for ignoring my above post.
An as for C&A your comment is ridiculous. Only one of my clanmates have been accused in there and I spoke out against him. So at least get your facts straight on that instead of making an incorrect assumption.
Captain BGtheBrain
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

General Contribution (4)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:37 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:You're a joke natty.

Well maybe I am, but at least I'm a funny one.

BGtheBrain wrote:Clan members should be treated like everyone else, not ignored.

No, they should be ignored when all they do is give meaningless input that is obviously based only on the clan-relationship. If those clan members were to come in and offer some meaningful, well-thought feedback on the map, then they wouldn't be ignored, obviously. But when they only show up to defend their clanmate, post once or twice in his thread and never before or after are to be seen in the foundry, it's pretty obvious that they're only showing up to stick up for their clanmate, regardless of the merits of his map.

BGtheBrain wrote:You were the first the be negative about the map bc it failed before. You linked to a horrible version of a cow.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

BGtheBrain wrote:Something shouldn't be ignored because someone else made a crappier version of something first.

Your clanmate's map wasn't ignored, not for that reason nor any other. He was given good feedback, reasonable suggestions on how to make his map better and up to the foundry standards. We're now waiting for him to do an update and show us that he's capable of bringing the map up to an acceptable level.

BGtheBrain wrote:An as for C&A your comment is ridiculous. Only one of my clanmates have been accused in there and I spoke out against him.

Then, I repeat: why do you expect the foundry to work any differently?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:38 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:Clan members should be treated like everyone else, not ignored.

when i see a veteran map maker with several maps and a few thousand posts in the foundry express his opinion i tend to take it seriously.
when i see a person making his first ever post in the foundry saying just "i love this" and then never come back i will most certainly ignore it. if i find out that user was asked to come and post that i'll even go as far as consider it a negative point for the map maker.
Major DiM

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm

DiM wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:Cairns seems to be on a mission to make a map of every nook and cranny in or near Australia with 4 in the foundry and at least 4 in already live. They all have the same basic look and same basic gameplay.

Yet no one complains about too many Aussie maps?

cairnswk is not really the type of guy you'd want to start complaining about. over the years he's become extremely defensive and in certain aspects even vindictive.
i personally am disappointed in all the maps he keeps churning out that look the same and play the same but if nobody bothers to say anything then i won't either. from time to time he does produce something interesting but it has become rarer and rarer because he chose quantity over quality and blandness over innovation.

PS: i know cairns is gonna make me regret posting this. nothing personal mate, it's merely my opinion.

Cairns isn't the only one.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions