Decline in map standards.

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Decline in map standards.

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 am

Actually, I did listen to what you said and I even gave a valid response to it. It's you who's not listening, the same way you were not listening when people gave you feedback when you were attempting to make maps here.

You see, any interaction is a two-way street. You can't just expect the other side to listen to your arguments if you're not willing to listen to theirs.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 am

I'm gonna have to agree with natty here. You can't just stick your head in the ground when someone says something you don't want to hear. Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable and the answers you're looking for might not help you get forward. On the other hand this is just a game so I can understand if you don't want approach it that seriously. But don't expect to have much success in the foundry with that attitude towards it.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 am

Gillipig wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with natty here. You can't just stick your head in the ground when someone says something you don't want to hear. Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable and the answers you're looking for might not help you get forward. On the other hand this is just a game so I can understand if you don't want approach it that seriously. But don't expect to have much success in the foundry with that attitude towards it.

:lol: =D>

Natty you were NOT the problem if thats why you are being defensive I don't know or CARE!

In the foundry I found it patronising and generally hostile. One or two people were VERY helpful but no one actually answered my question about base "Continent" values ... it doesn't even matter about who said what or who answered what ... I am saying there is a problem with the attitude to newcomers. I come here knowing little about the variety of what can be coded and with an idea in my head and I got almost nothing but derision and a cocky and childish response from people.

Because of this I am not willing to put time into making at map here at the moment so every here will miss out until I think the response I get next time will be a more friendly and patient.

I even offered maps to this site (Before I realised you had to put names on the territories here) and got ridiculed for that!? SERIOUSLY I am not the only problem here. Yeah I'm strong willed and opinionated but I encourage constructive criticism all the time and I am more than willing to listen to new ideas.

If you think what I am saying here is in some way negative then I'm sorry but I'm trying to answer your question as best I can to help the process in the foundry be a little more welcoming because I think that is where the core of your problem lies with any decline in map standards or lack of variety ... some people in my situation would leave this site and not even consider making a map here again and I have met a few so this isn't based on assumptions.

Lost count of how many times I have heard that people like CC and the players here but hate the Foundry.

Like I said there are 3 great maps close to release so the problem cannot be that big ... some more "basic" maps might help the site too? Just standard rules but well planned maps without having to worry about Auto-placement, Bombard etc.. (I love these options but the vast majority of player in my experience play small quick games in RT and there is not a huge choice out there atm.

Anyway said my bit take it or leave it and GL with whatever it is you do here in the future.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm

BadgerJelly wrote:In the foundry I found it patronising and generally hostile.

Well, that's unfortunate that you feel that way. We can't take responsibility how everyone acts, since everyone is free to post in the foundry. However you do need a "thick skin" in the foundry... sometimes the answer is not what you want to hear but you should probably listen to it anyway.

BadgerJelly wrote:One or two people were VERY helpful but no one actually answered my question about base "Continent" values ...

Well that's just it. Your map ideas had more fundamental problems than continent values, and the way I recall it people told you repeatedly what those were and what exactly were the problems you needed to fix. There's no point in tweaking the bonus values if the underlying idea, the concept of the map, needs work.

Seems to me that the problem you have is that you didn't get the feedback you wanted to hear - instead you got the feedback you needed but were not willing to follow it...

Like it or not, mapmaking is not a right in CC - the foundry is not a playpen where you get to do whatever you want with your maps, and develop them in your own way and do what you please with them. The rules and guidelines of the foundry need to be followed, and maybe that's why you got frustrated - maybe you're used to the more free atmosphere of other sites that allow anyone to make whatever map they want, so the structured environment of the foundry where people tell you that you need to address this or that problem instead of worrying about this or that thing is a turn off for you. If so, that's unfortunate, and I know this is going to sound harsh to you, but we don't need mapmakers who can't follow the rules of the foundry.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby BadgerJelly on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

It doesn't bother me personally just trying to help ...

Continue to say I am wrong if it makes you feel better mate I don't mind at all. Just posted here because I saw the thread and thought my input might help people out on the site. In the future I'll just keep my opinions to myself and let you tell each other what is wrong rather than listening to an outside perspective.

GL :D
Private BadgerJelly

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am

The last page and half is totally OFF TOPIC. Stop now, if you want to discuss about welcome new mapmakers, start a topic for that. =;

Back on the original discussion, koontz asked what do you think about this:

It has been said, and many agree with it, that the standards within the map making community for conquer club has declined over the past year or two. If, and this is a big if, is this true, and who is to blame for it and what can be done about it.

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks nobodies. Just to let you all know, the article has been written and is in the next dispatch. I have tried not to offend anyone.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby DiM on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Thanks nobodies. Just to let you all know, the article has been written and is in the next dispatch. I have tried not to offend anyone.

i am offended. :mrgreen:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:01 pm

DiM wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Thanks nobodies. Just to let you all know, the article has been written and is in the next dispatch. I have tried not to offend anyone.

i am offended. :mrgreen:

Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:The last page and half is totally OFF TOPIC. Stop now, if you want to discuss about welcome new mapmakers, start a topic for that. =;

Back on the original discussion, koontz asked what do you think about this:

It has been said, and many agree with it, that the standards within the map making community for conquer club has declined over the past year or two. If, and this is a big if, is this true, and who is to blame for it and what can be done about it.

Now I know its you prepare yourself for a lambasting! :lol:

IT IS relevant to the topic mate. If potentially good artists are driven away then who knows what you're missing out on here ... you've even said so yourself in the past so you cannot have it both ways.

If he is referring purely about the STANDARD that is being let through then yeah its a bit more of a vague reference to the original thread. You know I am not here first and foremost on the site I'm else where and I have no reason to say anything here other than to help.

Maybe the standard has dropped (if it has!?), because there are less choices of maps to put through. Its all very well to say the standard should in theory stay the same but with 10 new maps in front of you or 5 what do you think the chances are in each case a better map will get through. Yeah more map makers more shit ... also more map makers more quailty.

Reply to this mapguy and I WILL NOT BITE and play your silly games ;)

I'm semi serious here so please don't get offended or I'll just laugh. btw you should try and get bigtardo to help Moon thingy ...

Enjoy guys! Its a great game love, peace and rapage to you all! LOVE YOU!! XX :P
Private BadgerJelly

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am

BadgerJelly wrote:
Now I know its you prepare yourself for a lambasting! :lol:

IT IS relevant to the topic mate. If potentially good artists are driven away then who knows what you're missing out on here ... you've even said so yourself in the past so you cannot have it both ways.

The above confirm what natty was saying...you don't listen or better you listen just what you want to listen and if what you listen doesnt' match with your vision, you will continue on your way.
But tell what you want...that was and is OFFTOPIC anyway.

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby BadgerJelly on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 pm

:lol: Whatever! :lol:
Private BadgerJelly

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm

BadgerJelly, please look at the first post and see what I have asked. The article is due out this week sometime so you can have a read of it. But if you do continue to post these supercilious comments, it may end up being a complete waste of my time as all anyone can see over the last page or two is you bitching about your experience in the foundry. Can I ask you now to please stop it and try to look at this from the way I have asked it.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby greenoaks on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 pm

i thought there was a decline in quality because of the defection to major command but i don't see that as a problem. at some point in time every great sports team will see one of their stars retire, become injured or move on. the replacement player is usually much younger and far less experienced.

we have that here. there are a lot of new recruits. building their knowledge/skill base. refining their map ideas/concepts. not everything they do will be awesome, or even great. being upset they are not immediately as good as the hall of famers of yesteryear is pointless. give them time, and feedback. they will grow. the nordic countries revamp is proof of that.

a few years from now it will be their time to move on. we will lament their loss, remember the good 'ol days and fret about the declining standards in the foundry.

life in the foundry will have come full circle.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 pm

greenoaks wrote:a few years from now it will be their time to move on. we will lament their loss, remember the good 'ol days and fret about the declining standards in the foundry.

That's exactly what we should avoid, people moving away and not passing their skills to the new mapmakers.

And to avoid that we should get some more love & attention from the site admin. There's only so long people care to listen to promises that never come true...

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions