Conquer Club

Small/large size differences

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Small/large size differences

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:12 am

AndyDufresne wrote:In fact, I think some of the small maps we've had over the last year or so are pushing the limits of being too big to really be 'small.'!

Without a comparison between two elements it's difficult to say what is big or small, everything is relative! :P

Anyway, it seems to me there's a red colored request for a different policy for supersize images....but listen to me, try to change the UI, that's the issue not big maps. For now what I can say....smaller maps? yes, Sir!
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm

considering that there's a sort of official request for smaller small version, expect a change in the graphics/size guidelines very soon. In few word we will change the minimum 9% difference in something else....in the meanwhile if someone has suggestions or want to share thoughts feel free to post here! :)

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:24 am

thenobodies80 wrote:in the meanwhile if someone has suggestions or want to share thoughts feel free to post here! :)

Well, you asked for it... ;)

I think it's totally moronic for the admin to restrict the size of maps - people can choose what maps they want to play, if someone doesn't feel comfortable playing a map that is 1400 x 1000 then they have a choice of a ton of smaller maps to play on.

Also, I totally agree that the sidebar has to go, that's just poor UI design. But hey, let's concentrate on creating pay-to-play tournaments instead, I'm sure that's much more important for the site... :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 am

The Bison King wrote:
DiM wrote:i think we should get rid of small size and stick with just the large.

I'm on this ship, get a bigger monitor.

We're not all spoiled little rich kids with big-ass 22" monitors. When you move out of Mommy's basement you'll find out there are things to pay like rent and hydro and car insurance, and this will militate against your ability to buy high-tech supertoys.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 am

Dukasaur wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
DiM wrote:i think we should get rid of small size and stick with just the large.

We're not all spoiled little rich kids with big-ass 22" monitors. When you move out of Mommy's basement you'll find out there are things to pay like rent and hydro and car insurance, and this will militate against your ability to buy high-tech supertoys.

i play on a 1366*768, 15.6" laptop display.

as for the rest of your message, i hope it was a poor attempt at humour. ;)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:15 am

Dukasaur wrote:
The Bison King wrote:

Ok, at first glance it seems like you're just acting like an asshole, but I think there's more to it here... So, let's analyze and unpack this post for a bit.

First, it seems to me you're projecting your unconscious anger/jealousy on the fact that someone else has a larger monitor than you. Could it be that you feel somehow "de-masculized" by "losing" in the battle of monitor size? Could it be that the gender norms in our culture which presupposes that men can only be valued by their success, that is making you feel inadequate if you have smaller equipment than others, and this makes you lash out?

Secondly, your use of the whole "mommy's basement" cliche. You know, this also seems to tie in closely with the whole cultural "male success myth" - you can't out-show TBK in monitor size, so your only option is to resort to shaming tactics and try to downvalue the particular category you lose in. Kind of like, your neighbor buys a bigger car than you, and because you can't out-show him by buying an even bigger one, you lash out by claiming that he must be compensating for his small penis. That's how it goes, right?

Another, slightly uglier aspect of this is is the way you use shaming language to try to silence those who disagree with your opinion. Firstly, the probably ugliest aspect of this is virgin-shaming - we all know "living in mom's basement" is simply a shorthand or euphemism for "virgin", which means that you're trying to humiliate TBK by first implying that he's a virgin, and then mocking him for it. As men, we are expected by our culture to treat having sex as just another achievement - you are valued by how many women you can "conquer". So what if TBK was a virgin, so what if he lived in his mom's basement (I'm pretty sure he isn't and doesn't but let's assume for the sake of argument) - does that make his opinions any less valid? No.

The ironic thing is, that 22" widescreen monitors aren't even all that expensive these days - certainly not something that requires huge income, or living in a "mom's basement" to afford. I bought mine for 70€. But I think you know it, and I don't think that was the actual point in your post - rather, you're just lashing out because you obviously have some mental baggage that you should unpack. You know, it'd probably be good to do some honest self-reflection at this point.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 am

DiM wrote:i play on a 1366*768, 15.6" laptop display.

Must be a Toshiba. These are my settings as well.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:38 am

isaiah40 wrote:
DiM wrote:i play on a 1366*768, 15.6" laptop display.

Must be a Toshiba. These are my settings as well.

nope, it's this one.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:18 pm

I want to apologise to the Bison King for my nasty outburst. Your relatively innocuous comment didn't deserve such a rude response.

Natty's post is 90% wrong, but it does have 10% truth at the end. This all has to do more to do with my personal baggage than with anything relevant to the thread. I just have such hatred for the mindless materialism of our corrupt, decadent society, people complicating their life with materialistic claptrap instead of seeking existential moments and enlightenment, people standing in line like retarded sheep to buy the latest idiotic gizmo that the marketing nabobs tell them to buy. Myself, I've never bought a new computer component until the previous one died. If my Apple IIe was still alive I'd still be using it. Every "upgrade" I've ever suffered was involuntary, because some component died and replacements were no longer made and/or supported by the manufacturer. For that matter, I've never bought a car until the previous one was a rusted-out hulk on its way to the scrapyard. It's not so much that I couldn't. Although my income is below average, I'm still comfortably above the poverty line. It just offends my sense of right and wrong to feed the system and perpetuate the web of lies and illusions that society is built on. But anyway, none of this is anyone's problem but my own. I'm sorry that I let all this bleed through in a moment of irritation about something as innocent as map sizes.

To all the mapmakers, I apologies for so often being in a bad mood when I visit here. You guys do great work bringing us all kinds of wonderful concepts, and you really deserve a lot more thanks and a lot less criticism. Thanks and kudos to all of you.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lackattack recently gathered some stats about browser resolutions.

1. 1366x768 15.50%
2. 1280x800 13.82%
3. 1024x768 8.03%
4. 1440x900 7.64%
5. 1280x1024 7.25%
6. 1920x1080 7.13%
7. 1680x1050 5.92%
8. 1600x900 5.07%
9. 320x480 3.65%
10. 768x1024 2.65%

Small maps are definitely always appreciated and needed. In fact, I think some of the small maps we've had over the last year or so are pushing the limits of being too big to really be 'small.'!

--Andy

Mmmm. i'm just wondering what happened to the other 23.44% of the stats?
Don't they count?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:30 am

Yeah I thought the same thing...maybe those are so small percentages and admins decided to list only the top 10
I'm also wondering what criteria/system was used to gather those numbers.

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:33 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Yeah I thought the same thing...maybe those are so small percentages and admins decided to list only the top 10
I'm also wondering what criteria/system was used to gather those numbers.

Lack probably got them from Google Analytics, as it will tell you resolution, OS, browser etc..
Lieutenant isaiah40

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions