Conquer Club

Decline?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Decline?

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Is it just me or has the foundry suffered a huge decline the last couple of months? It seems very few maps are in their early stages. Lots of maps being worked on in the final forge but not many in the drafting or melting pot.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: Decline?

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 am

I won't say a huge decline. Yeah we have few maps actually in the melting pot but you should consider 2 aspects:
- Is there a real recent reduction of people who is drawing maps? Actually if I have to think about this, I can only find 2 names: natty dread and DiM. Both were prolific mapmakers, but apart them I see the same old faces around here, and maybe some new ;)
- It's July, during summer there's always less activity, at least in the foundry. The sky is blue and the sun shine, lot of people prefer to spend time on less sweat or open air activities than PS on summer. :mrgreen:

Finally...I don't know if a reduction of maps is a real problem. First and foremost it's normal that with 200+ it's harder to find a good idea, and thank to God, it seems people is no more posting here stupid ideas like a piano keyboard, molecules or things like that! Secondly, I've always been in favour to have less maps going into the foundry process. We can give more attention to them, focus more on some aspects and ensure a better result...so if you ask to me....I would like to have just 5 maps in the earlier stage all time! ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 am

thenobodies80 wrote: Secondly, I've always been in favour to have less maps going into the foundry process. We can give more attention to them, focus more on some aspects and ensure a better result...so if you ask to me....I would like to have just 5 maps in the earlier stage all time! ;)

that sounds good in theory. trouble is that there are 5 maps in the drafting room now and hardly anybody bothers posting there.

as for good ideas...i bet i can find at least 100 great map ideas if i browse through the melting pot or the recycle box. so certainly having 200+ maps in live play doesn't mean good ideas are scarce.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:27 am

DiM wrote:that sounds good in theory. trouble is that there are 5 maps in the drafting room now and hardly anybody bothers posting there.

Nobody care about them because the foundry is not promoted in the proper way on the site, although it is the true blood of the game.
You know, the usual old story: 1% of users care about the forum and only 1% of them visit the foundry, no link on the game page like we have for tournaments, etc etc

Anyway with my previous word I wasn't saying that in general there's so much people on this site that is willing to draw a map or really care about maps. I was just giving a reply to Gillipig. He talked about the last couple of months and honestly I don't see a big decline in that period, it's just the usual up and down. ;)

DiM wrote:as for good ideas...i bet i can find at least 100 great map ideas if i browse through the melting pot or the recycle box. so certainly having 200+ maps in live play doesn't mean good ideas are scarce.

I agree and you certainly know that "search before posting" and the like has always been a foundry advice...just people don't care about the bin so much...but read the next CC newsletter issue and you will see that our vision is not so much different.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 am

If I remember correctly, it was like this last summer when I first posted Rorke's Drift and last Christmas was like this as well.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Nobody care about them because the foundry is not promoted in the proper way on the site, although it is the true blood of the game.

This is the main problem that is behind all problems - the site management doesn't care about the foundry.

Personally I've 90% moved on to other projects. I'm currently contributing my time & effort in a certain other thing, one where my contributions are appreciated, one where I don't have to deal with an idiotic, bumbling administrators that undermine all efforts and neglects creative contributors.

If things improve in the foundry (and CC in general) some day, I might return to mapmaking, but the way this site is currently ran, there's pretty much no chance in hell.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RjBeals on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 pm

yeah... i think we all go through these feelings. There's only so much time you donate to a site, to make money for one person, who doesn't really give a shit about you.
Private RjBeals

Postby x-raider on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:16 am

I think there's a decline in the attitude in this thread.

I've been eyeing the foundry for months and now I think I'm ready.
I'm hoping to provide some new blood to the foundry.
Please don't discourage me with threads like this :(.

And on a more positive note >>>> :D
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Arama86n on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 am

from playing other online games i can say western-hemisphere summer time is always calm. In fact in certain online games, people almost count on being able to take the summer off, jsut become the way :)
keep up the good work Foundry-Folk :)
Major Arama86n

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 am

x-raider wrote:I think there's a decline in the attitude in this thread.

Can't wait to see your offerings! Welcome!
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby x-raider on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:50 am

thehippo8 wrote:
x-raider wrote:I think there's a decline in the attitude in this thread.

Can't wait to see your offerings! Welcome!

Thanks. My first endeavor is out of the frying pan and into the melting pot (so to speak). =D>
viewtopic.php?uid=373901&f=63&t=175664&start=0
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Return to Foundry Discussions