Conquer Club

map making

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

map making

Postby okiewind7 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 am

ok guys and gals i need help. How do i make a map? I've already got the idea in my head but how do i get it onto the screen and conquerclub. is there something on cc that i can make one with?
The best way for evil to prevail is for good men to sit around and do nothing.

Let's Go To WAR!
Lieutenant okiewind7

Re: map making

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41 am

okie, nice of you to show some interest in making a map. Have a look at this and it will give you everything you need to know about making a map. HandBook But if you have any other questions, post them here.

Do you have any graphics software though?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby okiewind7 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 am

no i don't that i know of lol do i have to have it?

Let's Go To WAR!
Lieutenant okiewind7

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 am

You do if you want to make a map. It takes a long time and you need to be patient with it, but it can be done by a complete beginner. I started mucking around 2 years ago and every day I learn something new. If you have any artistic ability, patience and an understanding of how it works here, you can make a map. My first one took just over a year to make. From beginning to final quenching.

Another way for you to do it would be to post your idea in the ideas forum, and hope someone makes it, or find a map maker and persuade them to make it for you with you doing the xml code for it. That way, you get the medal and experience.

Best advice if you go down the route of you making it is this....
Download GIMP (free of charge software for graphics)
Play with it and learn it over the next few months, till you know what you are doing. So many people post crappy drafts and wonder why it does not go anywhere.
Stay in the foundry, learn the lingo and post your thoughts on maps you see. The more you post in other maps, the more those map makers will help you later.
Then in a few months when you know GIMP, have a good draft post it. Just remember, maps take months, not days.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby okiewind7 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 am

thank you koontz you have been very helpful and i will download gimp and see what i can do lol. however if anyone in the meantime wants to make the bullseye go for it. i'll look for medals when i get better at mapmaking.

Let's Go To WAR!
Lieutenant okiewind7

gimp

Postby okiewind7 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 am

i did download gimp but so far i can't make heads or tails of it. i'm trying to download the owners manual but for some reason it's not letting me do it but maybe i need to type it strait in on the engine search.

Let's Go To WAR!
Lieutenant okiewind7

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 am

Go here and do not bother with the manual. natty dread did a couple of quick tutorials (i followed them for my first and so did a couple of other map makers).
(Part one)
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=140723
Part two has a link at the top of the first page.

Tools guide in the foundry. You will find lots here but not all for GIMP.
viewforum.php?f=649

Your next best friend is going to be you tube. There is a wealth of videos on there that will show you how to do things.

Other things that you can look into.
Dafont for fonts
G'IMC for GIMP

As for making heads or tails of gimp, it is an easy programme to learn but it takes time. This is why I said to play around with it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Foundry Discussions