Conquer Club

River's and Stone Walls

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

River's and Stone Walls

Postby rishaed on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:11 am

How do I make decent Rivers? I tried using the path tool in Gimp and it goes fine until i want to add a little depth to them so that they don't look completely flat.
I'm running into a brick wall with walls as well. I'm thinking something along the lines of whats in Siege.
anyone got a decent Tutorial/Guide for GIMP?
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Re: River's and Stone Walls

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:40 am

Rivers, select the rivers layer. Create a new layer above. Select blend tool. Go into tool options and select shaped angular. Make sure you have black and white colours. Use the blend tool. Your new layer will have the rivers now as black and white. Black should be in the middle. If it is not, reverse the colours. 1 pixel gaussian blur. Set the layer mode to overlay or grain merge. Lower the opacity.

What type of brick wall do you want?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby rishaed on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Similar to Siege, basically castle walls as borders between certain regions. With the right knowledge I think I can finally get a working draft idea into the melting pot. I took a break from it because I got frustrated that I couldn't make what i was trying to make and make it look decent.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby x-raider on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Glad to see you're still moving forward with this.
Good luck.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 pm

rishaed wrote:Similar to Siege, basically castle walls as borders between certain regions. With the right knowledge I think I can finally get a working draft idea into the melting pot. I took a break from it because I got frustrated that I couldn't make what i was trying to make and make it look decent.

The walls in seige look like they are 2 things.
The walls them selves are 2 small bricks that have been drawn, and placed individually onto the map alternatively. The centre, also territs looks like a jpeg that has just been copy and pasted.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Foundry Discussions