Conquer Club

Remove Fog from Beta

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Remove Fog from Beta

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 am

I would like to ask if it is possible to remove fog games from the BETA maps...
until we can see all the bugs ironed out.
if someone reports a possible? bug and is playing fog, i can't see what the status of the game is to find out if they are correct or not.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Remove Fog from Beta

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't think this is a good idea. I understand the frustration that arises, but players know going into games on Beta maps that there might be bugs so it should be expected.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Gilligan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:15 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I don't think this is a good idea. I understand the frustration that arises, but players know going into games on Beta maps that there might be bugs so it should be expected.

I have to agree with nole here.

While it's a good thought, they know the risk going in and bugs can be found and corrected with sunny games and cross referenced with the XML.
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I don't think this is a good idea. I understand the frustration that arises, but players know going into games on Beta maps that there might be bugs so it should be expected.

Gilligan wrote:

I have to agree with nole here.

While it's a good thought, they know the risk going in and bugs can be found and corrected with sunny games and cross referenced with the XML.

Gents, the frustration is with me. I cannot see in these fog games if the player has made an error of misinterperatation or if there actually is a bug in their game when it is reported in the thread. Nothing to do with players frustration.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ViperOverLord on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 am

As a player and TO, I'd prefer to have fog on beta. I could see restricting fog for beta maps if it helped the map makers enough though.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 am

Remove the fog option if the map is Beta is not worth the change required (not so big honestly), imo.
If a player complain about an issue, it's up to the player to give the elements we need to know to fix the issue. How much time and effort is required to take a couple of screenshoot?
Then if the player doesn't give a screenshoot, he must live with the bug...we have Beta exactly for that reason. Moreover we warn players about any possible issue in the maps page, if a beta map is played.
Finally, at some point the fog will go (at the end), so it's not that we can't see it forever. Or players help us to help them, or they must live with a bug. The process is based on cooperation, not "slavery".
The fact we have a Beta stage is already a big hand given to players, but it's not up to us to spot bugs (if there're), we need only ensure to fix them before to consider the map as finished.
This without consider that if the mapmaker wants, he can play the map as well. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Return to Foundry Discussions