Conquer Club

does Foundry sleeps

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

does Foundry sleeps

Postby Oneyed on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:24 am

hm, how to start and not insult somebody...

it is maybe only me, but I have feeling that Foundry sleeps for some time. when I look at Drafting Room (or Map Ideas) the activity of blue guys is very rare now. except koontz there are just two - three blue guys who time to time post here.

when map is moved to main Foundry it is a little better but it is enough?...

I know everybody has real life, family or another activities (drinking, smoking, gambling, fucking :lol: ) but now when mapmakers are limited with new Abandon policy and "stricken" when there is not any update in any time also more activity of blue guys would be helpful. there is nobody else who can move maps next, who made decision about graphics or gameplay.

I hope I not insult somebody, but it is also absonant to me that somebody is not able to answer on PM (about map) several days. - just "I have not time to help you now, sorry" is realy enough...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: does Foundry sleeps

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 am

Oneyed, this is not a new thing, out of 22 pages of foundry discussions, this has been mentioned many times before. Things happen over the course of the year. Summer is the worst time for maps as everyone is one holiday.

You are right about the blue boys, we all have a life outside of the foundry and sometimes it is really hard to get on and help out. The only reason I manage it is because my job makes me be there for nearly 40 hours with only 22/45 minutes of work. The rest of the time, I sit their twiddling my thumbs.

As for the part of people not posting so a blue boy must do it, that is not true. If people like the map, then they will post. Look at some of the maps in the foundry, Seamus76 China map got a lot of posts quickly, my League map got very few over 2 months. That is why I shelved it. No interest or very little. Even with me pushing it in a lot within the forums, it never really took of.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 am

I don't like starting a conversation by saying "this is not meant to insult anyone", but truly I think we are a community and should be even more open with each other given the small amount of people working in the foundry these days.

The feeling of apathy (a state of indifference) is certainly evident from most of the community (mods, players, map makers, etc), except a few. There is no need to call anyone out, but I think what Oneyed is saying is that the door of respect for those more involved than others should swing both ways. As map makers we now respect the rules set upon us for making maps, which ultimately was about not wasting peoples time, so shouldn't we be able to at least expect timely acknowledgement of updates, questions, etc.? Which is the only way for us to make the appropriate changes to help our maps, because again what Oneyed is saying is that the "community" can post feedback, but it is really the mods who have the final say on whether or not those changes are appropriate, good, and should be put in place to move the map forward. Again, without the acknowledgement of the Mods I feel like I have to wait for that final approval so as not to do double work changing changes. And I strongly say "acknowledgement" because that is important, I'm not looking for in-depth responses to every post. It should go without saying that we all have real life stuff, but we also know that most, if not all of us, check in at least once a day if not more, and probably receive mobile update to threads, etc., so a simple "acknowledgement" goes a really long way. Just a, "I see your update, I'll take a look in the next day or two.", or "Good question, let me get back to you on that.". Etc., etc., etc.

Personally I want more, from the foundry, from the community, from my maps, from myself. I want to use this site, and the community to improve my skills and get better at making maps. I just really like this place, and now the people, and only want make maps for the masses. If the goal is to slow down the number of maps coming out of the foundry, then that should be done in other ways while still maintaining the involvement of those who are willing and able to put long hours of time and energy into voluntarily providing entertainment for others. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS WHAT'S GOING ON NOW, so please do not harp on this last paragraph.

Anyway I just wanted to share my feelings, and look forward to the discussion.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Every CA has his department. The fact koontz post more into the drafting room is because he is the guy in charge of it.
No other CAs are expected to post there...apart if they want to support the map. But in that moment they are acting like users, not CAs.

The list of what each CA does is in the foundry guide (maybe we need to update it a bit) and also into this topic --> viewtopic.php?f=143&t=182358

If you have any issues with a CA or with me (obviously I'm not excluded) and you prefer to not post on the public side..let me say to not name names....then please send me a PM. Ensure that every CA is doing his job is one of my duties here, so don't worry about make you voice heard with me.
Like I have always said I give my ear to everyone.

Nobodies

P.s. Don't you think that maybe also the foundry community is less community than what it was? We have some mapmakers that can certainly share their toughts or give help to the others...but very often I see some of them take care only about their own maps. Just a thought....again without name names. The foundry is not just the CAs. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Return to Foundry Discussions