Conquer Club

Is the foundry officially dead?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Is the foundry officially dead?

Postby degaston on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:55 pm

blakebowling wrote:I believe there are too many maps already, and if anything the least popular maps should be removed.
I think you might be on to something, but you're probably not going far enough. If they simply remove all of the maps, then people will have to come back to the foundry, right? :roll:

Saying that there are too many maps here is like saying that Amazon has too many products. The problem is not too many maps, but that there's no easy way to differentiate them. They're all just thrown into the map browser as one big pile of 244 maps. How is a new player supposed to digest all of that and figure out which ones to play? They need to fix it so that people can sort and/or filter maps based on any number of categories - size, popularity, difficulty, XML features, real/fictional setting, suitability for various game options, etc.

Once that's done, they need to restructure the mapmaking process to focus on gameplay before graphics. Who cares if a map looks pretty if the gameplay doesn't work well. There should be a way to allow "Alpha" maps to be uploaded (or externally hosted) and played by anyone at any time (for no points), so if a mapmaker gets an idea, they can draw up a quick & dirty map, make the XML, and try it out. If the gameplay is thoroughly tested first, then there should never be a need to throw away hours of graphics work because someone found something about the map that doesn't work well. There might be some interesting things that could be done with transformations and stages, but they'll never be utilized properly if the mapmaker has no way to try them out without making a huge commitment in graphics work. There should be no way to break the site through bad map XML, and if there is, then the game engine needs to be improved.
Brigadier degaston

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:14 pm

degaston wrote:
blakebowling wrote:I believe there are too many maps already, and if anything the least popular maps should be removed.

Once that's done, they need to restructure the mapmaking process to focus on gameplay before graphics. Who cares if a map looks pretty if the gameplay doesn't work well. There should be a way to allow "Alpha" maps to be uploaded (or externally hosted) and played by anyone at any time (for no points), so if a mapmaker gets an idea, they can draw up a quick & dirty map, make the XML, and try it out. If the gameplay is thoroughly tested first, then there should never be a need to throw away hours of graphics work because someone found something about the map that doesn't work well.

I really like this idea.

As for any map browsing method, I'd suggest making a lot of the maps 'tournament/clanwar only'. This should captivate a lot more players into the tournament and clan-scene, so as to promote further community-integration. After all, once you attach a social aspect to a game, it becomes much more difficult for said player to leave the website. Simultaneously novice players will be deprived from too much map access. They aren't the ones checking the tournaments and clans anyway.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Butters1919 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:17 pm

waauw wrote:As for any map browsing method, I'd suggest making a lot of the maps 'tournament/clanwar only'.

Great idea, although you'll anger some folks by removing their "favourite map" from general access. Shockingly, even crap maps like Crossword have their backers!
Cook Butters1919

Postby degaston on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:27 pm

waauw wrote:As for any map browsing method, I'd suggest making a lot of the maps 'tournament/clanwar only'. This should captivate a lot more players into the tournament and clan-scene, so as to promote further community-integration. After all, once you attach a social aspect to a game, it becomes much more difficult for said player to leave the website. Simultaneously novice players will be deprived from too much map access. They aren't the ones checking the tournaments and clans anyway.

Out of curiosity, what maps would you restrict?

Personally, I'm not in favor of restricting access to any map, but if the map browser was improved, I would not have a problem with the more complicated maps being hidden by default for novice players. They should still have a way to see all maps, though.
Last edited by degaston on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier degaston

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:37 pm

degaston wrote:
waauw wrote:As for any map browsing method, I'd suggest making a lot of the maps 'tournament/clanwar only'. This should captivate a lot more players into the tournament and clan-scene, so as to promote further community-integration. After all, once you attach a social aspect to a game, it becomes much more difficult for said player to leave the website. Simultaneously novice players will be deprived from too much map access. They aren't the ones checking the tournaments and clans anyway.

Out of curiosity, what maps would you restrict?

Personally, I'm not if favor of restricting access to any map, but if the map browser was improved, I would not have a problem with the more complicated maps being hidden by default for novice players. They should still have a way to see all maps, though.

None specific jumps to mind. I have played CC for a long time, despite 2 big breaks. I don't have the need to impose any map restrictions of any sort, I've played them all at least once I think.
Anyhow I think with a restriction as proposed, themed tournaments fit to a restricted map will become common as a means of counterbalancing.

EDIT: Maybe also add speedgames to the list. They dearly need to be revived.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby waauw on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:44 am

Oh for crying out loud. We're out of cartographers again. Seems Manbungalow was but a temporary guy.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:59 am

degaston wrote:
I think you might be on to something, but you're probably not going far enough. If they simply remove all of the maps, then people will have to come back to the foundry, right? :roll:

Saying that there are too many maps here is like saying that Amazon has too many products. The problem is not too many maps, but that there's no easy way to differentiate them. They're all just thrown into the map browser as one big pile of 244 maps. How is a new player supposed to digest all of that and figure out which ones to play? They need to fix it so that people can sort and/or filter maps based on any number of categories - size, popularity, difficulty, XML features, real/fictional setting, suitability for various game options, etc.

Once that's done, they need to restructure the mapmaking process to focus on gameplay before graphics. Who cares if a map looks pretty if the gameplay doesn't work well. There should be a way to allow "Alpha" maps to be uploaded (or externally hosted) and played by anyone at any time (for no points), so if a mapmaker gets an idea, they can draw up a quick & dirty map, make the XML, and try it out. If the gameplay is thoroughly tested first, then there should never be a need to throw away hours of graphics work because someone found something about the map that doesn't work well. There might be some interesting things that could be done with transformations and stages, but they'll never be utilized properly if the mapmaker has no way to try them out without making a huge commitment in graphics work. There should be no way to break the site through bad map XML, and if there is, then the game engine needs to be improved.

+1
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby JamesKer1 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:38 pm

waauw wrote:Oh for crying out loud. We're out of cartographers again. Seems Manbungalow was but a temporary guy.

He's on vacation. Don't worry, that's what I thought too ;)
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby Lord Arioch on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Maybee some kind of register .. history maps, ww1 maps, ww2 maps idiotic maps (crossword ...) ?
Sergeant 1st Class Lord Arioch

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Well how about that, I hadn't even realized my color was gone... XD
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby t-o-m on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:04 am

• There are some wonderful solutions suggested in this thread.
  • Is there any chance of these suggestions being acknowledged by those who can implement them?
  • Or do we need to start a guerilla map foundry with our own rules and ways of doing things?
Major t-o-m

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 am

The next beta map release will be serious cause for celebration. I doubt there's ever been a drought this long.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Keefie on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:The next beta map release will be serious cause for celebration. I doubt there's ever been a drought this long.

WW1 Gallipoli was quenched a couple of weeks ago mate.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby degaston on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 pm

Keefie wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:The next beta map release will be serious cause for celebration. I doubt there's ever been a drought this long.

I guess somebody hasn't been reading the Conquer Club Dispatch. :lol:
Brigadier degaston

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:18 am

Keefie wrote:

An overdue quenching is anticlimactic. A new release is exciting.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Arama86n on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:52 am

degaston wrote:

+1
Major Arama86n

Postby owenshooter on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:10 pm

OFFICIAL FOUNDRY DAY CELEBRATION!!!!

HURRAH!!!-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby JBlombier on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Damn it, I missed the Foundry Day Celebration!

Congrats anyway, to whoever feels like being Foundry.

- JBlombier
Colonel JBlombier

Postby Butters1919 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:16 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Is the foundry officially dead?

Yes.
Cook Butters1919

Postby IcePack on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Butters1919 wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:Is the foundry officially dead?

Yes.

More like dying, alone, on a street, after being shot, with pedestrians walking past and over the body as the foundry gasps its final breath...

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby SimplyObsessed on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:26 am

It has been a couple of years since I was last here (strange being a free player!) and I must say that i'm disappointed that the whole site generally is no longer as active as it once was.
Corporal 1st Class SimplyObsessed

Postby Armandolas on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:12 pm

Armandolas wrote:
blakebowling wrote:We're currently having a discussion in Foundry Private. Hopefully we'll have some news shortly.

So what did you achieve in that super meeting?

A dancing gecko map»?

..almost a year later..is the gecko still dancing?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:08 pm

I've been gone for a long time as well and just noticed I still have a map sitting in Beta ... i'm guessing the foundry is dead but I would like to actually send in a xml update... would that get updated or should I not bother?

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby IcePack on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm

dolomite13 wrote:I've been gone for a long time as well and just noticed I still have a map sitting in Beta ... i'm guessing the foundry is dead but I would like to actually send in a xml update... would that get updated or should I not bother?

=D13=

Update it :)

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby HuSongHua on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:00 am

After a long period of absence I wanted to get involved in map making. Mainly overall concept and graphic design. But stumbling on this thread + seeing that it's almost the only one with recent activity, I wonder if it is worth the effort ???
Private HuSongHua

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions